Confrontational posts

Your totally irrelevant posts go here - keep it clean with no flaming and absolutely no politics (Club or otherwise). Posts contravening this WILL be removed without warning.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This forum may be used for your posts that don't fit elsewhere but please keep it clean, calm and respectful. As elsewhere, politics of any sort (including Club politics) are not permitted.
If you want to meet with others for your personal ride then please use the 'Anyone want to meet me?' forum.
If you want to invite the BM Riders Club to other club events please do it through official channels by contacting the Club Secretary.
Any posts contravening these guidelines may be removed without warning.
Mark Esposito
Forum User
Country of Residence: Wales

Confrontational posts

Postby Mark Esposito » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:41 pm

I have always regarded this forum as a very civil place and a absolute pleasure to visit, however recently I've noticed more confrontational and argumentative posts.
I'm not going to start pointing fingers etc I just would hate to lose the very friendly and greatly valued resource into a sea of petty bulshit and tit for tat posts that I can find almost anywhere on the internet

Am I being too sensitive ?
Do others any thoughts on this ?

Mark

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

I have 1985 BMW R80 RT monolever & a 1988 R80 RT in case i forget to mention it when asking a question !

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Re: Confrontational posts

Postby george baker » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:57 pm

Hi mark
I have noticed and have not commented on some threads so as not to fuel the discussion. G
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

boxerman
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: UK

Postby boxerman » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:57 pm

No, you're not. I am keeping a close eye on the one doing it! And, yes, I do read every post made on the forum.
Phil Hawksley 'The Boxer Man' - aka 'Dangermouse'
Member #1 Much modified R80G/S - a REAL one
Why not join the BM Riders Club @ http://www.bmridersclub.com
http://www.boxerman.co.uk
http://www.bmbikes.co.uk
https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos

Mark Esposito
Forum User

Postby Mark Esposito » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:03 pm

Thanks George and Phil.

Mark

I have 1985 BMW R80 RT monolever & a 1988 R80 RT in case i forget to mention it when asking a question !

gogs01
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby gogs01 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:33 am

Yes, I hope someone will keep a lid on it.
We all have opinions, and some of us think our opinions are the only valid ones (I can include myself in that one at times ! :oops: ) .
If you really want a personal debate, do it face to face (preferably with a referee). On a forum, let's play nice. Give us your opinion by all means, but don't get personal, it doesn't add anything and it doesn't make you look big or clever to the majority of readers.
I've seen this on other forums. People stop posting and, in one case, the forum died as a direct result of people getting personal with people they had never met ! Crazy !
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

CharlieVictor
Forum User
Country of Residence: France

Postby CharlieVictor » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:17 pm

I have always regarded this forum as a very civil place and a absolute pleasure to visit, however recently I've noticed more confrontational and argumentative posts.
I'm not going to start pointing fingers etc I just would hate to lose the very friendly and greatly valued resource into a sea of petty bulshit and tit for tat posts that I can find almost anywhere on the internet

Do others any thoughts on this ?

Mark

What's your problem Mark? :grin:

Seriously.... I really enjoy this forum for that very reason. It is also to be noticed that threads do not get encumbered by everyone smart comment, which are often quite a pain on other forums.
Members are rarely if ever off topic, and most members know when NOT to comment. It makes for a fairly quiet traffic but when there is a subject I found people genuinely get involved with valuable input.

And I'm French [-(
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"
1999 W65L "Twin with a kick"

windmill john
Forum User
Country of Residence: England
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Postby windmill john » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:26 pm

Thanks for posting Mark.

I slip up sometimes, but this forum is generally and virtually always polite.

I used to be on XRV because I had a Transalp. Lots of good technical advice, but a lot of members used terrible profanities and I’m not a shrinking violet.

John
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Schorsch - 1978-80 R65 - bit of a Shetland pony; frisky and naughty.
Max - 2009 F800GS- where’s the desert at!?
Too many bikes have come and gone, trying to be sensible now!

Mark Esposito
Forum User

Postby Mark Esposito » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:38 pm

Thanks for the Input guys, everyone can slip up and get a bit over the top at times I've done it , I dare say we all have at some point, no problems with that !
Where I have a problem is when some goes after another forum member everytime they post simply because at some point they disagreed with them.
This is such a great forum ( like mates helping each other out ) I would hate to see it be dragged down to the level of most of the crap on the internet.

Mark

gogs01
Club Member 13

Postby gogs01 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:53 pm

This is such a great forum ( like mates helping each other out ) I would hate to see it be dragged down to the level of most of the crap on the internet.
+1 :smile:
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

Jon S
Club Member 13

Postby Jon S » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:41 pm

Anyone mind me sticking my twopence worth in on this?
From joining the forum last year to being a paid up member I personally haven't noticed any confrontational posts. I keep an eye on the forum most weeks even though I don't put much on here. I find the general comments/banter most entertaining as a rule. If something crops up that I can comment on (like this) or to join in the banter I will pitch in just for the hell of it. what I won't do is make anything personal as I don't know the people personally.
So, to wrap it up the forum is generally good craik, light hearted fun and useful. Another forum I was a user of did get a bit heavy with personal attacks, stuck up prima-donnas and other self-opinionated smart 'arris' types it got really nasty, it even got the point where legal action was being threatened.
Don't let things get personal and start slagging folk off over their opinions/comments and everything will be hunky-chunky.
"Never push a full commode" :grin:

Mark Esposito
Forum User

Re: RE: Re: Confrontational posts

Postby Mark Esposito » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:52 pm

From joining the forum last year to being a paid up member I personally haven't noticed any confrontational posts. I keep an eye on the forum most weeks even though I don't put much on here. I find the general comments/banter most entertaining as a rule. If something crops up that I can comment on (like this) or to join in the banter I will pitch in just for the hell of it. what I won't do is make anything personal as I don't know the people personally.
So, to wrap it up the forum is generally good craik, light hearted fun and useful. Another forum I was a user of did get a bit heavy with personal attacks, stuck up prima-donnas and other self-opinionated smart 'arris' types it got really nasty, it even got the point where legal action was being threatened.
Don't let things get personal and start slagging folk off over their opinions/comments and everything will be hunky-chunky.
Totally agree, I liken this forum to going down the garages in my village, In the 8 garages there Is one car, one used for storage, mine is used for my two R80RT's my son's aprilia and a couple of two Stoke scooters one guy with dirt bikes and the rest are all Harley owners, everyone is friendly offers help advice tools etc and there is a good amount of friendly banter, it's a absolute pleasure to see the guys, I would hate to lose that atmosphere both at my garage or this forum.

Mark

boxerman
Site Admin/Club Member

Postby boxerman » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:23 pm

Not at all, Jon. It is good to see from folks comments that ths place is appreciated and enjoyed (kind of makes the effort worthwhile) but occasionally a little policing is needed to keep the place friendly when one guy appears to threaten that atmosphere. The team of Mods are always alert to anything that threatens what we have 'cos it doesn't take much to turn a forum such as this from a happy and helpful place to a place that folk no longer want to go.

It is begining to look like this thread alone has stopped the posts that were referred to but time will tell.
Phil Hawksley 'The Boxer Man' - aka 'Dangermouse'
Member #1 Much modified R80G/S - a REAL one
Why not join the BM Riders Club @ http://www.bmridersclub.com
http://www.boxerman.co.uk
http://www.bmbikes.co.uk
https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos

BoxerCup
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby BoxerCup » Tue May 01, 2018 5:31 am

It is good to see from folks comments that ths place is appreciated and enjoyed (kind of makes the effort worthwhile) but occasionally a little policing is needed to keep the place friendly when one guy appears to threaten that atmosphere. The team of Mods are always alert to anything that threatens what we have 'cos it doesn't take much to turn a forum such as this from a happy and helpful place to a place that folk no longer want to go.

It is begining to look like this thread alone has stopped the posts that were referred to but time will tell.

Now then

Quite right too, there has to be boundaries and the majority adhere to these and the site has always had a friendly feel for me since i joined and long may it continue =D>
These Air-Cooled Boxer Engines are full of character :cool:

2004 R1100S BoxerCup Replica
2002 Yamaha XJR1300SP - Yellow Kenny Roberts - bought new and have covered 100,000 km 29.04.17
2018 BMW S1000R Sports

Dave
Forum User
Country of Residence: ENGLAND

Postby Dave » Tue May 01, 2018 11:55 am

I must say i have not noticed any of these post. I am someone who posts what could be termed " basic questions ", and can only say that on every occasion i have only received helpful advice, indeed on a recent post i made, i nearly added a note to say i have never come across anything like this on the site.
I do go on another well known site where i have seen certain individuals say things like " read the manual " or " isn't it obvious ", and wondered why reply, if the poster knew the answer they wouldn't ask.
This has to be one of the best BMW sites, which is shown by the amount of posts on the forum, some sites only seem to get one or two posts a week in the sections that interest me, and i wonder if it could be because of these people. Dave

Mark Esposito
Forum User

Postby Mark Esposito » Tue May 01, 2018 12:21 pm

Hi Dave,

This sort of thing would tend to happen on discussion threads rather than on technical questions, I should state that it is very rare and has only happened on a couple of threads. I only brought the subject up as I have seen on other forums that members, upon seeing these posts decide not to post so as not become a target or to avoid fuelling the argument, when this happens valuable input from trusted members is lost for the sake of someone wanting to impose their view.

Mark

Ruralman
Club Member 13

Postby Ruralman » Tue May 01, 2018 12:59 pm

Yes, I hope someone will keep a lid on it.
We all have opinions, and some of us think our opinions are the only valid ones (I can include myself in that one at times ! :oops: ) .
If you really want a personal debate, do it face to face (preferably with a referee). On a forum, let's play nice. Give us your opinion by all means, but don't get personal, it doesn't add anything and it doesn't make you look big or clever to the majority of readers.
I've seen this on other forums. People stop posting and, in one case, the forum died as a direct result of people getting personal with people they had never met ! Crazy !
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
chairman@bmridersclub.com
----------------------------------
2006 R1200GSA
2004 K1200rs

'Live to ride - ride to live'
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

CharlieVictor
Forum User
Country of Residence: France

Postby CharlieVictor » Sat May 05, 2018 9:00 pm

Well, debate is what a forum is all about isn't it? It would be boring if we all agreed on everything...
I find it very healthy to be able to compare impressions or techniques, even if in the end we might agree that we disagree.

What I find totally unbearable is people responding by attacking the poster rather than constructing a sound counter-argument... ie, "you are an idiot becuase you think that way..." That kind of attitude foster the agressive/defensive types of exchanges and has nothing to do on a forum.

And I'm glad to say I have yet to encounter that sort of attitude problem here. The gentlemanly approach of all members is the most pleasant thing and makes this forum highly valued in my humble opinion.
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"
1999 W65L "Twin with a kick"

Return to “General Off Topic Chat”