Accents.

Your totally irrelevant posts go here - keep it clean with no flaming and absolutely no politics (Club or otherwise). Posts contravening this WILL be removed without warning.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This forum may be used for your posts that don't fit elsewhere but please keep it clean, calm and respectful. As elsewhere, politics of any sort (including Club politics) are not permitted.
If you want to meet with others for your personal ride then please use the 'Anyone want to meet me?' forum.
If you want to invite the BM Riders Club to other club events please do it through official channels by contacting the Club Secretary.
Any posts contravening these guidelines may be removed without warning.
milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Accents.

Postby milleplod » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:06 pm

Have folk on here got what others might consider to be a strong regional accent? I can switch my north-east Derbyshire one on and off, to suit a given situation - when I was in the RAF, my accent disappeared and morphed into a quite nondescript, middle-of-the-road, non-accent. When I was home on leave, my mates, mainly miners, said I'd become a posh ****! Then, when I joined the police, I found that a 'posh' voice had a rather negative effect on the hordes of drunken yobs swarming around the local market place of a weekend - they really, really wanted to have a go at me....hence developing the on/off facility! :lol: They still wanted to have a go at me, but at least did it more respectfully because I sounded like they did! :grin:

I do like a north-eastern accent, I'd call it a Geordie one but know that that might be an insult to some folk who aren't Geordies, but who have, to my ear, a similar sound. :smile: A Welsh lilt is also good on the ear, and my friend Sarjeet, a Malaysian Sikh, is very listenable too. A mate in the job had a strong 'savvern' accent, it got him into bother once. He pulled a car for a routine check at about 1am, it was full of scrotes who started giving him some lip, escalating to a real potential for violence. He was single-crewed, and only a few minutes from our traffic base, where we were all having a brew. He shouted '10/11', which back then was the call for 'officer needs urgent assistance', giving his location as 'Tapton', a little place on the south side of town. We all turned out, lights ablaze, yelpers yelping, screamed up the A61 to Tapton....no sign of anything at all. That's because he was getting a pasting at a little place called Tupton, on the east side of town, which his accent rendered into Tapton! :lol: By the time we got there, he'd a few scuffs, but at least had managed to get the cuffs on one of the scrotes and attach him to one of the traffic car's seatbelts. :smile:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Mark Esposito
Forum User
Country of Residence: Wales

Re: Accents.

Postby Mark Esposito » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:42 pm

Despite living in Wales for 22 years I still have a north London accent though I've picked up a few expressions and sayings, my kids who went to school in Wales sound quite local to my ears.

Mark

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

I have 1985 BMW R80 RT monolever & a 1988 R80 RT in case i forget to mention it when asking a question !

Mjolinor
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby Mjolinor » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:58 pm

I worked in Greece for about 10 years. I had a team of researchers, all Greek that worked for me. They all spoke English and we had no problems at all communicating until a friend came to stay on a work experience visit.

When we were talking none of the Greeks could understand a word either of us were saying. There was no conscious effort on my part, as far as I knew I was talking in exactly the same way as I had always with them but the Northern accent came out when my mate was with me and they were completely stumped.

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Postby King Herald » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:08 pm

My dad was born and bred in Birmingham, but joining the RAF at a tender age gave him reason to lose the yam yam accent and cultivate a normal anonymous tone of speech.
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

Lolo
Country of Residence: Portugal

Postby Lolo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:47 pm

Our neighbours came round one day to help them translate. They were cleaning the house for a posh English couple that live in the city but the couple had popped round to ask for something and the neighbours didnt know what. We rushed next door to help and also to meet theses other expats. Unfortunately they were welsh and had such strong accents we could actually work out what our neighbours were saying in Portuguese easier than this welsh couple!! :shock: :lol:
Living the dream :sunny:

boxerman
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: UK

Postby boxerman » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:01 pm

:grin: #-o
Phil Hawksley 'The Boxer Man' - aka 'Dangermouse'
Member #1 Much modified R80G/S - a REAL one
Why not join the BM Riders Club @ http://www.bmridersclub.com
http://www.boxerman.co.uk
http://www.bmbikes.co.uk
https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:37 am

Hi

I should be nice since I am off to Cardiff and then the South of England in 30 minutes, running late as well

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

jfcoleman

Postby jfcoleman » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:53 am

- when I was in the RAF, my accent disappeared and morphed into a quite nondescript, middle-of-the-road, non-accent. When I was home on leave, my mates, mainly miners, said I'd become a posh ****!

Pete
I'm from Clydebank and Glasgow, but when I was a chaplain in the RAF I remember one Station Commander, during my annual review, suggesting to me that, as a professional communicator, I would do well to ensure I could be understood. What followed was a rather bizarre encounter as he sought frantically to find an example of different pronunciations of certain words, but what was even more bizarre was I later discovered he himself originated from Glasgow, but you would never have known it to hear him. His message was simple - if you want to get on as I've done, then you need to 'get posh'! I got some small revenge a couple of weeks later when, at a formal mess dinner, I said the Selkirk grace in as broad an accent as I could muster! :angel4:
Regards,
Jim Coleman
(2008 R1200GS)

Memphis Twin
Forum User

Postby Memphis Twin » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:58 am

Have folk on here got what others might consider to be a strong regional accent? I can switch my north-east Derbyshire one on and off, to suit a given situation - when I was in the RAF, my accent disappeared and morphed into a quite nondescript, middle-of-the-road, non-accent. When I was home on leave, my mates, mainly miners, said I'd become a posh ****! Then, when I joined the police, I found that a 'posh' voice had a rather negative effect on the hordes of drunken yobs swarming around the local market place of a weekend - they really, really wanted to have a go at me....hence developing the on/off facility! :lol: They still wanted to have a go at me, but at least did it more respectfully because I sounded like they did! :grin:

I do like a north-eastern accent, I'd call it a Geordie one but know that that might be an insult to some folk who aren't Geordies, but who have, to my ear, a similar sound. :smile: A Welsh lilt is also good on the ear, and my friend Sarjeet, a Malaysian Sikh, is very listenable too. A mate in the job had a strong 'savvern' accent, it got him into bother once. He pulled a car for a routine check at about 1am, it was full of scrotes who started giving him some lip, escalating to a real potential for violence. He was single-crewed, and only a few minutes from our traffic base, where we were all having a brew. He shouted '10/11', which back then was the call for 'officer needs urgent assistance', giving his location as 'Tapton', a little place on the south side of town. We all turned out, lights ablaze, yelpers yelping, screamed up the A61 to Tapton....no sign of anything at all. That's because he was getting a pasting at a little place called Tupton, on the east side of town, which his accent rendered into Tapton! :lol: By the time we got there, he'd a few scuffs, but at least had managed to get the cuffs on one of the scrotes and attach him to one of the traffic car's seatbelts. :smile:

Pete
An entertaining story Pete, but you've got your Taptons and Tuptons mixed up. Tupton is south, near Clay Cross; Tapton is east. Get it right boy! :grin:

DEEP DIVER
Forum User
Country of Residence: ENGLAND

Postby DEEP DIVER » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:17 am

I do like a north-eastern accent, I'd call it a Geordie one but know that that might be an insult to some folk who aren't Geordies,

Pete
A Geordie accent is from the north east. I may live in Suffolk but was born and lived in Hebburn on the south of the Tyne. When my parents moved to Suffolk for dads job I was just 13. Now my accent is all mixed up.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Blue belt in Serious tea drinking.

Barry the old goat!!!!
1985 R80ST being rebuilt #-o
1985 R80RT Touring dream :smile:
2 Harley sportsters being rebuilt #-o
And a VW trike so I don't fall off :shock:

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:51 am

I don't have an accent... but a lot of the people up here in Scotland do. :smile:

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

milleplod
Forum User

Postby milleplod » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:16 pm

Pete
An entertaining story Pete, but you've got your Taptons and Tuptons mixed up. Tupton is south, near Clay Cross; Tapton is east. Get it right boy! :grin:
I wondered who'd be the first to spot that...... :oops: :lol:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:25 pm

I don't have an accent... but a lot of the people up here in Scotland do. :smile:

Rob
Yeah, I don't have an accent either, it's the rest of the world that don't talk proper.

milleplod
Forum User

Postby milleplod » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:46 pm

When we had our place in France,the locals were fascinated if I put on a display of broad NE Derbyshire for them. :lol: They maintained that they also had a strong accent (in Corrèze), but to me it just sounded French.

A few years ago, me and a mate stayed in a pub in Wales, down near Tenby. When we arrived, mid-afternoon, we were greeted by the landlord - his accent was really different, definitely some Welsh in there, but I couldn't place it at all and had to ask. He was French! He'd met his future wife when he was a student in Swansea and decided to move to Wales permanently. After almost 20 years of trying, he'd given up trying to learn to speak Welsh, much to the disgust of his in-laws apparently! His two young children spoke it fluently.

Whenever he went back to France to visit family, people who didn't know him thought he was 'un étranger' who spoke French fluently, but with an odd accent!

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Jon S
Club Member 13

Postby Jon S » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:08 pm

I was born and brung up on't 'proper' side of't Pennines :grin: that's Lancashire by the way, but have lived and worked in West Cumbria for 42 years where the local accent is a mongrel of ancient Norse, Gallic, Geodie and just about everything else Northern due to the mix of people.
During my 40 odd years in West Cumbria I served 22 of those years as a weekend warrior in the RAuxAF based mainly in Norfolk/Lincolnshire. I eventually ended up as a Warrant Officer and was involved in various 'meets and greets' when we had VVIP's on visits etc therefore I had to speak proper like.
My Auggie role required me to mix with all sorts folks both high and low from all over the UK and even our allies from the across the Atlantic. I did an instructors course when I was a Corporal and it was 'suggested' that I adopt a 'none regional' accent which I still have.
Most folks can pick up that I'm from 'up't North' but that's as far as it goes. That said I can still slip into speaking like an escapee from 'Corrie' if I feel like it, and, do it on purpose just for fun.

tarra fer now

Jon S
"Livin' Life n' Lovin' Every Minute" :grin:

1979 R100RT :smile:
1962 Norton 600cc Slimline Model 99 "Dominator" :cool:

CaptAirhead
Forum User

Postby CaptAirhead » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:36 am

When I was studying for my degree, I worked part time in Fernie Castle Hotel in Fife. One of the funniest moments was listening to a commis chef from the East Neuk of Fife trying to communicate with our new Belgian chef.
To be honest, I could understand the Belgian fella better than the wee guy from the East Neuk ( Where they pronounce Anstruther as 'Ainster')
Ian.
If you don't make mistakes, then you aren't trying hard enough!

1979 BMW R80/7 (ex-Police)
2002 Yamaha Fazer 600

Jockboxer
Forum User

Postby Jockboxer » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:36 pm

- when I was in the RAF, my accent disappeared and morphed into a quite nondescript, middle-of-the-road, non-accent. When I was home on leave, my mates, mainly miners, said I'd become a posh ****!

Pete
I'm from Clydebank and Glasgow, but when I was a chaplain in the RAF I remember one Station Commander, during my annual review, suggesting to me that, as a professional communicator, I would do well to ensure I could be understood. What followed was a rather bizarre encounter as he sought frantically to find an example of different pronunciations of certain words, but what was even more bizarre was I later discovered he himself originated from Glasgow, but you would never have known it to hear him. His message was simple - if you want to get on as I've done, then you need to 'get posh'! I got some small revenge a couple of weeks later when, at a formal mess dinner, I said the Selkirk grace in as broad an accent as I could muster! :angel4:
Leaving aside the debate about lowland Scots being a dialect or a language, Scots have to be bilingual (or tri / quadrilingual when furth of the U.K.). There's certainly a case for using RP when communication is of the essence but (as your tale implies) a hell of a lot of the objection to dialect is pure snobbery. Thankfully, regional dialects are now much more common in the media and it's time the agencies of the U.K. State caught up wth the times.

gogs01
Club Member 13

Postby gogs01 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:41 pm

What fascinates me about accents is that, according to Russians I've spoken to, people living in the far west of the country have no problem understanding people from the Far East, some 5000 miles away. In Scotland, you don't have to go 50 miles to struggle to understand what sounds like a different language ! 🙄
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:07 pm

What fascinates me about accents is that, according to Russians I've spoken to, people living in the far west of the country have no problem understanding people from the Far East, some 5000 miles away. In Scotland, you don't have to go 50 miles to struggle to understand what sounds like a different language ! 🙄
I don't think the Scots understand their next door neighbours in truth. :)

Dode4444
Forum User

Postby Dode4444 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:41 pm

Try being from Buckie (Morayshire)

Where boys are - Loons
And girls are - quines

Ken fit like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sportster
Forum User

Postby Sportster » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:15 am

Accents can be potentially dangerous. A couple of years ago I found myself in a Southampton hospital undergoing a triple by-pass operation, post op. I was looked after extremely well by the nursing staff, among whom was a male African nurse and a male nurse from somewhere in Eastern Europe. Both spoke fluent English, but heavily accented, and problems arose because they couldn't understand each other whilst on shift. Also I've noticed that, with old age, I've become increasingly hard of hearing ( a result of not heeding good advice about wearing ear defenders under a crash helmet) and find it difficult sometimes to understand anyone speaking perfect English but with a foreign accent e.g. the surgeon who installed my replacement hip.

Bomber Harris
Forum User

Postby Bomber Harris » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:03 pm

I love regional accents, my fave has got to be from deepest darkest Barnsley, can listen to writer and poet Ian McMillan all day " hellfire ! ".

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:56 pm

Return to “General Off Topic Chat”