NHS view

Your totally irrelevant posts go here - keep it clean with no flaming and absolutely no politics (Club or otherwise). Posts contravening this WILL be removed without warning.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This forum may be used for your posts that don't fit elsewhere but please keep it clean, calm and respectful. As elsewhere, politics of any sort (including Club politics) are not permitted.
If you want to meet with others for your personal ride then please use the 'Anyone want to meet me?' forum.
If you want to invite the BM Riders Club to other club events please do it through official channels by contacting the Club Secretary.
Any posts contravening these guidelines may be removed without warning.
windmill john
Forum User
Country of Residence: England
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

NHS view

Postby windmill john » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:42 pm

My mum moans. She’s moaned for years. My brothers now avoid her.
Okay, that’s out of the way. She is very unhappy with doctors etc.

Keeping politics out of it and no big stories, I just wondered as to your feelings re the NHS.
I’ve only had a couple of small dealings with hospitals, but have been happy.

Do you think it has deterioted? Do you think you get no help?
Please no hearsay, preferably actual experience.

I have to take my mums stories with a pinch of salt.
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Schorsch - 1978-80 R65 - bit of a Shetland pony; frisky and naughty.
Max - 2009 F800GS- where’s the desert at!?
Too many bikes have come and gone, trying to be sensible now!

Mjolinor
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Re: NHS view

Postby Mjolinor » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Emergency services and hospitals I have only praise for but the doctor has gone completely to pot. I tried for two months ringing for an appointment then gave up. Every time I ring I have to listen to a two minute diatribe about how it is important to tell the receptionist a bit about why you want to see a doctor. Two minutes off everyone that rings every time they ring in order to save the receptionist explaining to one out of a thousand that doesn't want to say. That is their prerogative, it is none of the receptionists business.

It is so obvious that in their view, our time is not as important as theirs.

Bill Smithson
Forum User

Postby Bill Smithson » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:01 pm

My experience of the NHS is probably the most extensive of anyone on here over the last two years.
Since December 2016 I've had a lung infection, pneumonia, double pneumonia, (yes that's right!), a heart attack, double cataracts operation and laser eye surgery.
I'm currently waiting to be called for another heart operation.
Last year I had a total of more than 40 hospital/doctor and clinic visits and spent more on hospital car parking than I did on petrol.
So am I satisfied with the NHS ?
Absolutely -------------------- I wouldn't have survived without it and the dedicated staff. God bless 'em!

milleplod
Forum User

Postby milleplod » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:24 pm

Our doctors' practice is superb, no complaints from us (me, my wife and daughter and 86-year old mum). The receptionists always ask if we would mind giving them a brief idea of what the problem is - that way, they can decide whether to give us an appointment to see a doctor, nurse practitioner or a practice nurse. Seems sensible, no issue with it at all. We've never had to wait more than 48hrs for an appointment. The doctors are, each one of them, 'old school', even though they're far from old! I think a lot of perceived problems can be down to practice managers - we've obviously got a bloody good one!

My wife has just had a hysterectomy, last Monday. From start to finish, the service has been faultless, no grumbles at all. Her dad was diagnosed with myeloma last year - again, superb treatment all the way from his GP, through chemo to it being hammered into remission. He's also had a double bypass, after the myeloma was sorted - first class again. Mum had pneumonia a few years ago, I can't think of any part of her interaction with the NHS that was anything but good - same for a hip replacement she had around 8/9 years ago.

Our experiences have all been good. Talking to my mum, she thinks its no worse than it was years ago, and improved in the sense that better treatments are available - my dad survived this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markham_Colliery_disaster back in 1973, and spent 18 months in hospital recovering from his injuries, so mum has something to compare today's NHS with.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Galactic Greyhound
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:38 pm

I last used the NHS hospital services a few years back when I fell off scaffolding and suffered internal injury.

At that time it was 4 patients to a room (now you get a room of your own) and the service provided was excellent including the food apart from everyone getting woken every 4 hours during the night to have their temperature taken.

The problem with the NHS is that it is 'free'.

The logistics supply is worth billions of pounds and this is where the NHS problems lie.

Any business with billions of pounds turnover will attract predatory attention and a 'free' health service is not an acceptable ideology for some multi-national pharmaceutical and insurance companies.

A potential takeover and privatisation of the NHS promises billions of pounds of additional revenue to such companies allowing them to expand their enterprise, increase shareholder profits and takeover weaker competitors/services thus growing the company further and enhancing Directors pay and rewards.

This leads to indirect moves by such companies to lobby Governments for the privatisation of State Health Services on the grounds that a cheaper and better service can be provided.

Cheaper and better for who - the State, the Patient or the Company?
What can be cheaper and better than 'free' to the Patient?

The actions of such Companies are assisted by interested parties within a Government by over-management, under-funding and under-manning NHS services such that critical failure occurs.

This designed failure can then be pointed to as the necessity for privatisation and abandonment of the 'free' health service.

If we ordinary citizens wish to keep our 'free' NHS, then it is encumbent on each and every one of us to actively protect it from such attack by means of legitimate concern in making our views known to our elected representatives and to ascertain their own views on the matter.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

windmill john
Forum User
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Postby windmill john » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:23 pm

Thanks all.

Overall sounds positive. Ced, I get your drift. The NHS should stay as was, but careful monitoring of too many chiefs is the order of the day.

I knew my mum was wrong!
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Schorsch - 1978-80 R65 - bit of a Shetland pony; frisky and naughty.
Max - 2009 F800GS- where’s the desert at!?
Too many bikes have come and gone, trying to be sensible now!

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:40 pm

Mum is never wrong!

Too much paper pushing is the real problem.

DEEP DIVER
Forum User
Country of Residence: ENGLAND

Postby DEEP DIVER » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:23 pm

Ced for PM. He gets my vote.

Well in the last few years I have had 3 lumps removed on my back, been rushed in after collapsing at work with breathing issues. Had a hip replaced.
I will say this about my local hospitals, they are well run and even through they are very busy you will get seen to.
Now the doctors is another thing again. You have to ring up in the morning and they will give a call back from a doctor. He will then check if you can come in for an appointment.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Blue belt in Serious tea drinking.

Barry the old goat!!!!
1985 R80ST being rebuilt #-o
1985 R80RT Touring dream :smile:
2 Harley sportsters being rebuilt #-o
And a VW trike so I don't fall off :shock:

andys
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby andys » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:58 pm

An acquaintance of mine recently had a prostate removal operation following a cancer diagnosis.
They use a robotic device which they enter into the rectum whereupon the operation is carried out by remote control.
I'm reliably informed by a doctor that in the USA, this procedure would cost in the region of £200,000.
It may not be perfect, but boy are we lucky to have the NHS.

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:03 pm

Ced for PM. He gets my vote.
You are not allowed to post mortem people until they are dead, I don't think he is.

kent_instructor10
Forum User
Country of Residence: Kent, UK

Postby kent_instructor10 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:08 pm

To date, hospitals, ambulance service and my local gp are brilliant. I phone my gp and have usually been seen within the hour of calling.

But, a couple of issues that have arisen in the past are not due to poor staff, but sheer volume of work and lack of resources.

But the way ambulance staff seem to be treated these days is often shocking, if not by aggressive public then by the way the service is run. Amazing people who are appreciated by many of us, and nowhere near enough by others.
Now: 2013 R1200RT SE; 2012 R1200GS Triple Black; Previously: K1100RS, R1200RTPx2, R1100RTPx2, R1100RT, R80RT, K100LT and Jap stuff!
http://www.invictamotorcycletraining.co.uk

Jon S
Club Member 13

Postby Jon S » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:12 pm

IMHO our local NHS are pretty triffik.
Our GP practice is easily accessible most of the time.
Our A&E do a good job. It only took 90 mins or from walking in to walking out so to sort out my recently busted wrist. The follow clinic vist to 3 hours but hey ho I wasn't in a rush anyway.
Our ambulance service have depot about 2 miles away and pass the road end several times a day, always in a hurry so I assume the kettle is on somewhere. The last time I saw an ambulance in our road was at a neighbours about 3 months back. Apparently it took 3 mins from being called to the wagon rocking up.
So all in all me and mine are pretty lucky.

Jon S
"Livin' Life n' Lovin' Every Minute" :grin:

1979 R100RT :smile:
1962 Norton 600cc Slimline Model 99 "Dominator" :cool:

P-K
Site Admin/Club Member

Postby P-K » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:28 am

Keeping politics out of it and no big stories, I just wondered as to your feelings re the NHS.
Very difficult to keep Politics out of a discussion on the NHS.
Phil,
'17 R9T Urban G/S : '12 R1200R
Site Administrator, Assistant Webmaster and Official Club Tweeter @BMRidersClub

milleplod
Forum User

Postby milleplod » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:00 pm

We seem to be doing OK so far though, credit where it's due eh?! :lol: Giving personal experiences of the NHS isn't the same as asking what's wrong with it and why.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:42 pm

Perhaps people are saying there's nothing wrong with it.
We can only go by our own experiences after all.

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:47 pm

I have to say that my experience is a bit of a Parsons Egg...

On the one side, the local doctors surgery is brilliant. I can always get an appointment the same day and they dispense in the surgery so no trips to the pharmacy unless you need sonething unusual. I've also been to the hospital a couple of times for checks and found them very efficient so no problems there.

On the other hand, my last trip to A & E was a farce. I damaged a finger (torn ligament I think) and was left with a it sticking out at an angle (taking my socks off on the beach if you'll believe it :oops: ). Not exactly a major crisis I know but... I got home and decided that it should be looked at so I formulated the cunning plan to go to A & E next morning at 08:00 when they weren't busy. When I arrived, I booked myself in and was told to wait for the Triage nurse so I sat down congratulating myself (prematurely) because I was the only one in the waiting room. Forty minutes later, a solitary nurse came out and sat at a desk in the waiting area... this was the Triage Nurse. I explained the injury and was told that I would have to wait to see a doctor and have an X-Ray. When I asked what the waiting time was I was calmly informed that I would have to wait three hours at least. The nurse ventured no opinion on the injury and refused to give advice on treatment. "No thanks", I said, I'll deal with it myself and walked out. Fortunately, I got it right and the finger healed OK. I know I wasn't in any real danger (fortunately) but a wait of three hours when the hospital had the appearance of being deserted! I get the feeling that the whole triage system has no other purpose than to meet government guidelines on waits in A & E waiting rooms.

That being said, over the years, my experience of NHS treatment has been pretty good all told it's just sad that one negative experience can sour ones view of what is an essential service.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:36 pm

OK so what about pharmacies / prescriptions?

About one in five prescriptions is correct as ordered, I spend half my life chasing the pills / insulin I asked for and now that the NHS do not allow emails I am back to using paper and dropping it off at the doctors.

milleplod
Forum User

Postby milleplod » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:07 am

Mum is on a repeat prescription for a number of different things. When she gets to around 3 days supply remaining, she calls the surgery and asks for a repeat prescription.....it's usually delivered to her the same day. Very occasionally there's a hiccup where an item might be missing or in the wrong quantity, but a phone call always sorts it out. We....me, my wife and daughter....haven't seen a paper prescription in ages. We see the doc or nurse practioner, get told what's being prescribed, its sent through to the pharmacy electronically, we walk to the pharmacy and its ready for collection within 5 minutes of us telling them who we are.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Jon S
Club Member 13

Postby Jon S » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:47 pm

IMHO our local NHS are pretty triffik.
Our GP practice is easily accessible most of the time.
Our A&E do a good job. It only took 90 mins or from walking in to walking out so to sort out my recently busted wrist. The follow clinic vist to 3 hours but hey ho I wasn't in a rush anyway.
Our ambulance service have depot about 2 miles away and pass the road end several times a day, always in a hurry so I assume the kettle is on somewhere. The last time I saw an ambulance in our road was at a neighbours about 3 months back. Apparently it took 3 mins from being called to the wagon rocking up.
So all in all me and mine are pretty lucky.

Jon S
Just as an add on to the above.
Fracture Clinic this morning, arrived about 15 mins early, straight to X-Ray for new photos of busted paw.
20 mins later get to see the Doc, hum he said looking at the latest phots, "that's not good". Explained that one of the bones has a damned great split that needs "stabilising" to stop a bit coming off. Apparently it wasn't picked up earlier due to swelling etc "Hang on for a few minutes", 10 mins later he says "have you anything planned for Thursday?", "we'll get you in first thing and pin the bits back together, it'll take about an hour from putting you out to you waking up and you'll be home for tea".
Oh lovely thinks me.
Walked out 30 mins later with all the ducks in a row for Thursday morning 08:30.
Not bad service, provided everything works out.

Jon S
"Livin' Life n' Lovin' Every Minute" :grin:

1979 R100RT :smile:
1962 Norton 600cc Slimline Model 99 "Dominator" :cool:

Bill Smithson
Forum User

Postby Bill Smithson » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:22 pm

Thanks Rob and Ced for your kind wishes on another thread.

Further to the NHS debate, I had to be admitted to hospital again last Sunday suffering from an infection, fever and severe blood loss following a tooth extraction. 999 and blue lights and I was yet again being looked after for a few days.

I've no idea what the treatment would have cost if I'd had to pay for it. (The operation I'm waiting for next month is around £50,000 !)
God bless the NHS staff at every level.

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:42 pm

hi bill
things dont sound too good atm, but the weather is turning so not much good riding left for 2018, i hope you are better for spring

g
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Bill Smithson
Forum User

Postby Bill Smithson » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:48 pm

hi bill
things dont sound too good atm, but the weather is turning so not much good riding left for 2018, i hope you are better for spring g
Hi George,
Thanks I'm looking forward to 2019 for a new beginning.

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:16 pm

I really don't think our wonderful doctors and nurses get the recognition they deserve.
We hero worship footballers and movie star's, but if we need life saving treatment, it's not going to be Cristano Ronaldo or Tom Cruise who are going to come to our rescue.
Don't get me wrong.
I'm sure the last thing our NHS medical staff want is celebrity status, but it's a pity they don't get a fraction of the recognition they deserve for the amazing job they do.
It's our frontline emergency service personnel, nurses doctor's, paramedics, firemen and women, and police officers who should be the people given hero status, not some blokes who can skilfully kick a ball around in a field.
I write this just as I've heard on the news of an increase in the attacks on ambulance crews as they attend fake 999 calls.
:mad:

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:30 pm

Just thought I'd add a bit to this old topic...

About twelve months ago, I was invited by the local hospital for an AAA assesment (Abdominal Aortic Aneursym for those in England who don't get the test automatically). This highlighted a minor anomaly with one of my Illiac arteries. I am now having a check scan every 6 months. The latest was today, an appointment at Perth Royal Infirmary at 11:45.

Last week, I finally got fed up with my trick knee and went to my GP (Phoned at 09:30, appointment at 14:00). She decided an X-ray was needed. When I told her I was due at PRI today, she went online and booked it for today. "Just go and ask when you finish your other appointment", quoth she.

This morning I walked into the outpatients dept. I was seen by the scanning technician 5 minutes after my appointment time... and she apologised for the delay. The scan took around fifteen minutes.

Immediately afterwards, I walked to the Xray Dept. I was taken in almost immediately and waited about ten minutes.

The bottom line is that I walked back out of the hospital at 12:49 having had two appointments (one of them unscheduled). I would have been even quicker if the radiographer wasn't a student under tuition (it is a University Teaching Hospital after all). All of the staff were pleasant and helpful.

This is in a National Health trust that has been criticised for inefficiency!

To me it seems like 10 out of 10. All credit to them.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:03 am

Hi Rob
we get AAA assessment (Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm) automatically, or at least, I got an invite for no particular reason.

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Return to “General Off Topic Chat”