Starling bank account for traveling

Your totally irrelevant posts go here - keep it clean with no flaming and absolutely no politics (Club or otherwise). Posts contravening this WILL be removed without warning.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This forum may be used for your posts that don't fit elsewhere but please keep it clean, calm and respectful. As elsewhere, politics of any sort (including Club politics) are not permitted.
If you want to meet with others for your personal ride then please use the 'Anyone want to meet me?' forum.
If you want to invite the BM Riders Club to other club events please do it through official channels by contacting the Club Secretary.
Any posts contravening these guidelines may be removed without warning.
Mark Esposito
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Wales

Starling bank account for traveling

Postby Mark Esposito » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:31 pm

Hi Guys,

Keith's problem with paying a German parking fine has reminded me to make this post.

The best account I've found for traveling (worldwide) is the Starling bank account and debit card and here's why.

Full UK account with £85k protection.

Account is run from your phone.

No charges for ATM withdrawals worldwide up to
£300 a day everyday in local currency.

Exchange rate is the MasterCard interbank rate which is better than any bank, bureau de change or visa rate.

You can freeze card from app.

Pin reminder from app.

You can turn off the magnetic stripe from app to combat card copying.

You can set it so the card can only be used when you have the mobile phone in close proximity to it.

As long as you have 3g/4g/5g/WiFi you will get instant notifications on your phone of how much you have spent in both local and UK currency (great to make sure you have been charged the right amount before you leave the shop).

You can use it to pay for mail order goods (spare parts from Germany or speeding fines in Austria or mobile phones from Amazon Spain !) in their local currency to avoid charges on the transaction.

I have used mine when driving and riding in Europe and when visiting Azerbaijan without problems, it also helps avoid ending up with pockets full of Euro / HUF / Lei / Lev etc change.

You can download the app from Google play store or the Apple store.

This year on while holiday in Bulgaria I saved enough in bank fees / bad exchange rates to pay for two evenings out !

I hope this helpful to some of you.

Mark

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mark Esposito on Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have a 1988 R80 RT monolever in case i forget to mention it when asking a question ! and I'm based in South Wales

george baker
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: uk

Re: Starling bank account for traveling

Postby george baker » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:28 am

Hi
sounds useful if you go away, in fact even a few useful features for use in the UK

George
Member 21, R100R, and an under used K75

Tincan3
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Tincan3 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:22 am

For travelling, my ideal would be access to my PayPal account where you can have amounts in various currencies. At the moment I have quite a few euros so it would be great to be able to withdraw them directly but to do so would entail conversion to GBP paid into the bank account registered with PayPal. The only way I can think of to withdraw euros directly as euros would be to have a bank account in a eurozone country but I am just a simple soul and maybe there is a way of doing it that some of you more financially savvy folk can suggest.

Mark Esposito
Club Member 14

Postby Mark Esposito » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:41 am

Hi Tincan,

Starling also offer euro, joint, and business accounts to UK citizens.

Unless you want to keep your euro as euro you can use the original starling account or you can use their euro account for stashing your euros as euros.

I find PayPal very expensive and only use it for eBay purchases.

Mark

I have a 1988 R80 RT monolever in case i forget to mention it when asking a question ! and I'm based in South Wales

HughMcQ
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby HughMcQ » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:24 am

I tend to use a Revolut https://www.revolut.com/ card when abroad - the Starling account sounds like a similar sort of thing....

Mark Esposito
Club Member 14

Postby Mark Esposito » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:57 am

I tend to use a Revolut https://www.revolut.com/ card when abroad - the Starling account sounds like a similar sort of thing....
Hi Hugh,

I have revolut as a emergency backup, the main downside for me is that with revolut ATM withdrawals abroad are limited to £200 per month before charges kick in where as with Starling I can take £300 a day everyday until I run out of funds without charges, for me this means I never have to use a rip off bureau de change again !

Revolut didn't have the £85k UK bank protection when I got mine, I'm not sure if this has changed yet.

While on the subject of ATM's abroad I just want to warn everyone to NEVER EVER accept a ATM's offer to convert the transaction to UK sterling, while recently in Bulgaria I was with my son who was using his Starling card to withdraw 300 lev (approx £140) when the ATM offered to convert the currency which he declined, but we made a note of the rate offered, if he had of taken the option of currency conversion it would of cost him a extra £30 compared to what Starling gave him, a absolute rip off !
This wasn't a corner shop type ATM , it was a main bank ATM , it was also offered at a ATM inside a Lidl branch also branded by a big local bank.

Mark

CharlieVictor
Forum User
Country of Residence: France

Postby CharlieVictor » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:38 pm

Hi Guys,

Keith's problem with paying a German parking fine has reminded me to make this post.

The best account I've found for traveling (worldwide) is the Starling bank account and debit card and here's why.

Full UK account with £85k protection.

Account is run from your phone.

No charges for ATM withdrawals worldwide up to
£300 a day everyday in local currency.

Exchange rate is the MasterCard interbank rate which is better than any bank, bureau de change or visa rate.

You can freeze card from app.

Pin reminder from app.

You can turn off the magnetic stripe from app to combat card copying.

You can set it so the card can only be used when you have the mobile phone in close proximity to it.

As long as you have 3g/4g/5g/WiFi you will get instant notifications on your phone of how much you have spent in both local and UK currency (great to make sure you have been charged the right amount before you leave the shop).

You can use it to pay for mail order goods (spare parts from Germany or speeding fines in Austria or mobile phones from Amazon Spain !) in their local currency to avoid charges on the transaction.

I have used mine when driving and riding in Europe and when visiting Azerbaijan without problems, it also helps avoid ending up with pockets full of Euro / HUF / Lei / Lev etc change.

You can download the app from Google play store or the Apple store.

This year on while holiday in Bulgaria I saved enough in bank fees / bad exchange rates to pay for two evenings out !

I hope this helpful to some of you.

Mark

The end of cash is near... :neutral:
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"
1974 Kawasaki W3 650 Replica

Mark Esposito
Club Member 14

Postby Mark Esposito » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:41 pm

If a government body won't accept cash, it's very hard to fight it.

Mark

Mjolinor
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby Mjolinor » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:46 pm

I thought it was illegal for any organisation in the EU to refuse cash.

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 14

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:48 pm

My wife recently went to the bank to pay a MasterCard monthly bill. It was on a card we keep as a back-up and only use once in a while to keep it active. The amount was under £10 but the bank would not accept cash - they said it had to be paid from a bank account. They said it was to prevent money laundering! As you say, they are trying everything to get rid of cash and track our every financial transaction.
R1200RT
K1100RS + EZS Rally Sidecar
BMW K75C

CharlieVictor
Forum User
Country of Residence: France

Postby CharlieVictor » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:29 pm

I thought it was illegal for any organisation in the EU to refuse cash.
I dunno for other countries, but France in 2017 has lowered the ceiling to €1000 (from €3000) for any cash transaction involving a business or a government agency.
Said differently, any business transaction above 1k must be done in a tracable way: cheque, money transfer or credit card. Big Brother was a big underestimation !
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"
1974 Kawasaki W3 650 Replica

HughMcQ
Forum User

Postby HughMcQ » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:22 pm

Hi Hugh,

I have revolut as a emergency backup, the main downside for me is that with revolut ATM withdrawals abroad are limited to £200 per month before charges kick in where as with Starling I can take £300 a day everyday until I run out of funds without charges, for me this means I never have to use a rip off bureau de change again !

Revolut didn't have the £85k UK bank protection when I got mine, I'm not sure if this has changed yet.

While on the subject of ATM's abroad I just want to warn everyone to NEVER EVER accept a ATM's offer to convert the transaction to UK sterling, while recently in Bulgaria I was with my son who was using his Starling card to withdraw 300 lev (approx £140) when the ATM offered to convert the currency which he declined, but we made a note of the rate offered, if he had of taken the option of currency conversion it would of cost him a extra £30 compared to what Starling gave him, a absolute rip off !
This wasn't a corner shop type ATM , it was a main bank ATM , it was also offered at a ATM inside a Lidl branch also branded by a big local bank.

Mark

Thanks Mark - I only use the Revolut when I travel and only keep a couple of hundred on it and top up by phone if funds get low.

You are right about the watching out for ATMs - there was a vid circulating some of the facebook groups the other month that covers this topic quite well...
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=661373851037426

Mark Esposito
Club Member 14

Postby Mark Esposito » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:35 pm

Thanks for the video, it explains it better than I did, those exact ATM's were all over the resorts in Bulgaria .

https://youtu.be/v1Hh8kY_hOY

The photo is of a ATM that tried to rip us off in Bulgaria

Mark

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Postby King Herald » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:26 am

Mark

Same with U.K. ATMs, if I withdraw money from my Citibank account in New York. For £500 I pay about £30 more if I take the exchange rate offered at the U.K. machine. I just click not to accept at get Citibank rate instead.

For European trips I have a Halifax credit card, no foreign currency fees and a good exchange rate.

HSBC were charging something like 3% per transaction. :shock:
1997 BMW R1100R
1993 Honda Transalp 600

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:53 pm

But yet in the UK, foreign parking fines are written off.
Another reason I hate Europe.

Mark Esposito
Club Member 14

Postby Mark Esposito » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:57 pm

But yet in the UK, foreign parking fines are written off.
Another reason I hate Europe.
Not really sure what uk parking fines or Europe hatred have to do with a decent bank account for traveling or rip off ATM'S

Mark

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:01 pm

My point is pretty obvious.
We're accountable over there but not vice versa.
Do you think that's fair.

Mark Esposito
Club Member 14

Postby Mark Esposito » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:05 pm

Not really anything to do with a good bank account or dodgy ATM's

But If you have a issue with UK government policy I suppose that should be addressed to the government.

Mark

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:15 pm

Nice thought but England do not have a government of their own, unlike Scotland and Wales.

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:58 pm

The subject of the thread is someone paying a German parking fine and the efforts we need to go through in order to facilitate the process.
This means that the parking departments within those respective countries local authorities have access to information held on the DVLA database.
We on the other hand do not seem to be granted access to theirs, evidenced by the fact that we write off tens of thousands in parking fines from those countries each year.
It is another example of the, one rule for us and another rule for them, ethos that seems to typify our union with our European cousins.

Mark Esposito
Club Member 14

Postby Mark Esposito » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:15 pm

Well there you go, I never knew that's why I wrote the original post about a bank account that makes it easy to pay euro bills and to get access to your money while abroad.

Next time I need clarification on why I have made a post I will know who to ask.

Mark

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: Bolsover

Postby milleplod » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:14 pm

I found the opening post on this thread very useful - I've opened a Starling account for future use, thanks Mark. :smile:

Comments about what Europe does versus what we do in the UK belong elsewhere.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Mark Esposito
Club Member 14

Postby Mark Esposito » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:18 pm

I found the opening post on this thread very useful - I've opened a Starling account for future use, thanks Mark. Image

Comments about what Europe does versus what we do in the UK belong elsewhere.

Pete
It's good to hear that Pete, my aim was to share information that makes traveling cheaper safer and less grief.

Mark

Mark Esposito
Club Member 14

Postby Mark Esposito » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:43 pm

Some additional information as the exchange rate rip off has spread ,

If you buy goods from abroad online please be aware that their payment merchant ( page that you get sent to enter the card details and pay) may offer the option to pay in sterling, do not do this as you will get a rip off exchange rate.

If you have one use a Starling or Revolut card but even if you just have a normal UK card, your own bank will give you a better rate.

Also if your abroad and paying by card at a shop / petrol station/ hotel restaurant etc they may ask you if you want to pay in sterling, again refuse it's the same scam, in a different setting.

Mark

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: Bolsover

Postby milleplod » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:43 pm

Further to my previous reply on this thread, I've moved most of my banking over to Starling now. I sent my Daytona boots back to Germany a few months ago for a thorough 'service', obviously payment had to be made in Euros - doing it via Starling was a piece of cake, with the option of a 'no fee' transfer or a paid one (£4.95 I think), the latter being more or less instant, the former taking a few days. The exchange rate was on-par with the best elsewhere too.

Highly recommended - thanks again Mark! :grin:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Return to “General Off Topic Chat”