"Activate the Omega 13!"

Chat about anything to do with sidecars and outfits. NOT BMW specific - all welcome

Moderator: Moderators

Tincan3
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

"Activate the Omega 13!"

Postby Tincan3 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:15 pm

Those of you who are sci-fi buffs might recognise the subject quote as being from "Galaxy Quest" - an excellent film - if you haven't seen it, it is a treat in store. Those of you who are not sci-fi buffs should watch an episode or two of Star Trek first.
The Omega 13 in the film is a device of unknown purpose that promises great power generation. I was reminded of it when I fitted a north American made Omega 600 recently to my R75/6 to improve the margin for my sidecar lights. The original 1975 alternator had finally stopped charging in France on my way back from a trip in August. This resulted in a minor adventure to get home to the north of Scotland that ended with three batteries in my sidecar.
The Omega 600 is amply described elsewhere but I thought some of you might like a hands-on impression from a user.
The instructions were basic - a photo of everything connected. Just my kind of wiring diagram!
instructions.jpg
The unit came with a beefed up rectifier to cope with the extra generation. For this, it is advisable to have a ventilated front engine cover otherwise the unit could overheat. I tried a clip-on ammeter on the earth cable to see the output and it indicated 25 amps at around 2000 revs.
rectifier1.jpg
ammeter_2000rev.jpg
So far, I have been on the short ten minute runs to and fro the ferry but will update when I have had longer runs to assess performance.
In the meantime I am happy to (try) to answer any questions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DEEP DIVER
Forum User
Country of Residence: ENGLAND

Re: "Activate the Omega 13!"

Postby DEEP DIVER » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:45 pm

First time I have heard of this. Any info on it?
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Blue belt in Serious tea drinking.

Barry the old goat!!!!
1985 R80ST being rebuilt #-o
1985 R80RT Touring dream :smile:
2 Harley sportsters being rebuilt #-o
And a VW trike so I don't fall off :shock:

Tincan3
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: "Activate the Omega 13!"

Postby Tincan3 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:28 am

Here are a couple:
information
http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/aftrmrktalt.htm
and purchase in the UK (there are other suppliers)
https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop ... 5_20_IA_10

I am not sure how it would work with a mechanical voltage regulator. I already had a solid state regulator.

Return to “Sidecar Chat”