Sidecar Ideas for BMW R65

Chat about anything to do with sidecars and outfits. NOT BMW specific - all welcome

Moderator: Moderators

bluebossa2
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Sidecar Ideas for BMW R65

Postby bluebossa2 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:34 pm

Howdy - I've got a single seat R45 which I upgraded to 650cc Pots and also own a K Series

I also restored and ran an Airhead Dnepr MT10-36 and caught the Sidecar bug..
Well I've been thinking maybe now that I've got a mile muncher in the form of the K75 - how about putting a chair on the R65?!

I've done a Google and can see a few out there, but wanted to get some advice on what chairs work best and how to fit - does it need a subframe for instance... I've settled on a Full Size Wheel as that would look best - but what Chairs are an easy fit?

I think given the Scrambler of the R65 look it could go WW2 style, quite easily but would the Dnepr / Ural style chair fit?

Anyone in the UK got one for Sale or Suitable to fit?

Picture of Bike attached and the Sidecar I rebuilt - both builds on YouTube and my little Blog if you want to see more...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BMWR45/65 Cafe Scrambler and BMW K75RT Naked

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Re: Sidecar Ideas for BMW R65

Postby george baker » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:22 pm

Hi
if you do fit a chair to the 65 take it easy at first cos the muscle memory of the box on the other side takes a while to over ride DAMHIK

The ural tub is heavy

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

bluebossa2
Forum User

Postby bluebossa2 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:42 am

Thanks George, will do.
Done some research and been looking for a suitable sidecar...
Seem to got silly money, something like a Watsonian or a Steib..

No joy yet and very few around...
Hi
if you do fit a chair to the 65 take it easy at first cos the muscle memory of the box on the other side takes a while to over ride DAMHIK

The ural tub is heavy

George
Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

jamo
Forum User

Postby jamo » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:09 pm

Take a look at the velorex chair. Light weight 16inch spooked wheel with brake.
F2 motorcycles import them.

Tincan3
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Tincan3 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:23 am

I'm not sure this is the kind of thing you are after but this is my Watsonian "Monaco" which I fitted with a 19" wheel. Bike is an R75/6. The canopy is quickly removable for long loads like kayaks, ladders etc. - or to liven the performance...
DSC01714_flatbed_ready.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bluebossa2
Forum User

Postby bluebossa2 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:37 pm

I'm not sure this is the kind of thing you are after but this is my Watsonian "Monaco" which I fitted with a 19" wheel. Bike is an R75/6. The canopy is quickly removable for long loads like kayaks, ladders etc. - or to liven the performance...
That looks just the job - trying to find a second hand one... any ideas?
Looks great - I've read since that the R65 may need a subframe?

bluebossa2
Forum User

Postby bluebossa2 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:37 pm

Take a look at the velorex chair. Light weight 16inch spooked wheel with brake.
F2 motorcycles import them.
Nice, did find Velorex on a bit of research over Christmas - also found the old Jupiter 5 Russian Chair fitted to some 350s...
I'll see how much - they "Chairs" seem to cost more than Bikes!!

[media]https://youtu.be/0iFo4piRmKs[/media]

Jupiter 5 Sidecar.JPG
Watsonian Prices.JPG
https://www.watsonian-squire.com/sidecar-prices/
Last edited by bluebossa2 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bluebossa2
Forum User

Postby bluebossa2 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:50 pm

Actually now I look again I did see the Monaco - but didn't like the small wheel - was the upgrade to a 19" easy - did you do it?
If so what are the steps?

Maybe I can find one of them cheap?

Tincan3
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Tincan3 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:17 pm

Well, I was lucky as Charnwood had just had a secondhand Monaco arrived so I got it for £300 - it was a good few years ago, maybe 1998. However, it required a lot of work to sort out (anything on a sidecar does). Charnwood supplied a 19" wheel but I can't remember any details of fitting it except that I do not think I replaced the axle as I do remember removing the original hub. Incidentally, I have a spare, old, worn axle, bearings and cotton reel hub - but these would need renovation to be useable.

The original small Watsonian wheel is poxy in my view and the styling of the mudguard awful (but that's just my opinion!). Also, it means, being so low, your passenger does not have a great view. With the Watsonian original small wheel the sidecar is close to the ground so was traditionally angled slightly upwards to the front to counter the dip on left handers. This upward slope does not improve the styling in my view. I wanted good ground clearance hence 19" which means the sidecar can be level or angled slightly down at the front (looks better - my opinion again!). The clearance has proved its worth on off-road Alpine trails.

Chassis: mine is a 1960s I think, and the original frame was an elongated "D". Cross brace stiffening was achieved with a tube running through the sidecar body. After a crash test on one of my trips I had cross loops and a connecting tube welded on, together with a new mounting bracket. This made the internal cross tube redundant.

Gearing: if you want to go off road, especially uphill, you will find a big improvement with reducing the gears by installing a different rear bevel drive. That also means changing the speedo. You may be lucky in your case by being able to swop in another BM odometer but for me there was no choice of another BM one so I fitted an electronic Smiths which I am very happy with. After my first Alpine trip with unaltered solo gearing I needed to fit a new clutch. My gearing was reduced by 7% with the bevel drive from an R60 if I remember correctly.

Cockpit canopy: the original hinges were very light and I replaced them with slip hinges from a yacht chandler. This means the canopy can be removed by sliding sideways. Photo shows the canopy in place.
col_de_L'Iseran_2018.jpg

Return to “Sidecar Chat”