Fitting a Sidecar

Chat about anything to do with sidecars and outfits. NOT BMW specific - all welcome

Moderator: Moderators

C J M
Forum User
Country of Residence: Ireland

Fitting a Sidecar

Postby C J M » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:02 am

Hi I want to fit a sidecar to my 82 R100Rt. I would welcome any helpful tips and advise.
Thanks.
C.

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Re: Fitting a Sidecar

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:40 pm

Have you decided on the type of sidecar you want? Is it to carry an adult, adult and child, two children or even a dog😀. Is it to be used for days out or touring?

In the second-hand market, Squire ST2 single-seat sidecars are a popular choice for a bike like the R100 and there is also a child-adult version with a child seat behind the front seat. They are quite narrow, have rubber in torsion suspension and no brake on the wheel and quite a small boot. Bigger sidecars include the Watsonian Monaco which can have a braked wheel and coil-spring and damper suspension.
Bigger still are sidecars like the Squire ST4 which can squeeze in two adults side-by-side.

In the new sidecars, look at Squire, again, or EZS From Holland (but be prepared to open your wallet rather wide)

In addition to the cost of a sidecar, the fittings and labour to fit and align will come to about £2000, unless you are confident to buy the fittings and fit and align the sidecar yourself in which case, fittings alone may be less than half that. Leading-link forks are not essential, but uprated fork springs and rear suspension should be on your shopping list.

You probably know that if you’ve never ridden a sidecar outfit before they are completely different to a solo and need to be steered. It’s best to learn on an area with no traffic where you can practice right and left-hand turns and remember that a light sidecar can lift if a left-hander is taken too fast!

There’s a lot to consider and if you have any more specific questions, just put them on the forum and we’ll try to help.

Keith
R1200RT
K1100RS + EZS Rally Sidecar
BMW K75C

C J M
Forum User

Postby C J M » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:20 am

Thanks for your helpful advice Keith.
I would like a single seat for 1 passenger and a small boot. Some kind of canopy would be good too. Last time I rode a combo was in 1968. Matchless 650 with double adult car, put up a lot of miles on it then. I remember well how different it was for the first few days. I am just hoping that somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind I can recall this skill.
Thanks again. C.

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 14

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:12 pm

Without wishing to sound like a salesman, an ST2 would seem to meet your requirements, I had one on an R80/7 and took my wife and seven-year old daughter on holiday to Austria with no problems, even using the tele forks.

Your having had previous sidecar experience simplifies things a lot.

This is my old outfit to give you an idea of the sidecar. The tubular frame on the R100 makes fitting easy as you won’t need a sub-frame, just three frame clamps and a frame clamp/plate mount for the front lower fixing. I used the standard BMW steering damper but you can use a heavier Volkswagen type if you wanted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R1200RT
BMW K75C

C J M
Forum User

Postby C J M » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:53 am

Hi Keith.
Thanks, for your help, Wont know if my previous experience will come to the surface easily until I set off on my first ride, its been over 50 years since I last drove one apart from trying out a Greeves trials outfit, bit tricky with no passenger. I am keeping watch on all the motorcycle sales sites but there dose not seem to be many on offer. I dont want to buy new if I can help it. Must be hundreds still around its just getting lucky and finding one.
Thanks again.
C.

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 14

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:57 pm

Sidecars by themselves do seem to be a bit thin on the ground at the moment, although there are a few complete outfits around.

Th Federation of Sidecar Clubs have an Irish Club in the Federation, they may be able to help.

http://www.sidecars.org.uk/clubs.html

Good luck with your search.
R1200RT
BMW K75C

C J M
Forum User

Postby C J M » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:36 am

Hi Keith,
Thanks for the link, I am now thinking of making my own sidecar as I don't see any sign of ready mades appearing anytime soon.
Thanks.
C.

DEEP DIVER
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby DEEP DIVER » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:38 pm

I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Blue belt in Serious tea drinking.

Barry the old goat!!!!
1985 R80ST being rebuilt #-o
1985 R80RT Touring dream sold
2 Harley sportsters being rebuilt #-o
And a VW trike so I don't fall off :shock:

C J M
Forum User

Postby C J M » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:58 am

Hi Deep Diver.
It looks a good deal, I will check it out.
Thanks.
C.

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 14

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:33 pm

Here’s another. A Squire child-adult this time:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265416306518 ... Swe2FhmTFE
R1200RT
BMW K75C

C J M
Forum User

Postby C J M » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:02 am

Thanks Keith, its good to know that people are helping me in my quest, Still looking at making my own, may work out better in the end when you factor in collecting it and the age of fixings and chassis.
Thanks again.
C.

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 14

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:35 pm

This may be of use if you go the home-build route.

http://www.steves-workshop.co.uk/vehicl ... index.html
R1200RT
BMW K75C

Return to “Sidecar Chat”