leading link shocks

Chat about anything to do with sidecars and outfits. NOT BMW specific - all welcome

Moderator: Moderators

stevew

leading link shocks

Postby stevew » Mon May 19, 2014 9:37 pm

I have unit leading link forks on my r80rt outfit. They are past there best and need refurbishing or replacing. Ideally i would like some new shocks with rebound damping as leading links rise when you brake. i have hagon sidecar shocks on the back of the bike as they are heavy duty, just wondered if anyone has fitted these to leading links before. Any other suggestions will be very welcome.
Steve

george baker
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: uk

Re: leading link shocks

Postby george baker » Tue May 20, 2014 2:12 pm

Hi
ask TJ if he can help

George
Member 21, R100R, and an unused K75

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Wed May 21, 2014 8:12 am

Hi,
I found with the 'Unit' leading links on my old outfit that you could alter the tendency for the forks to rise on braking by raising or lowering the position of the upper shock mount clamps on the fork legs. There is an optimum position (which I cannot remember) for the height of the bottom pivot of the front swinging arm relative to the front spindle height which gives a neutral response and by changing from this you can make forks rise or fall on braking. If you check with Unit or Watsonian Squire, they may be able to help. You can then ask Hagon to supply a set of shocks that can be without two-way damping - although, of course, you could still use two-way if you wanted.
My current 'Wasp' forks use Bilstein shocks and they are excellent.

Regards
Keith
R1200RT
K1100RS + EZS Rally Sidecar
Kawasaki Versys 650

stevew

Postby stevew » Wed May 21, 2014 5:52 pm

hello Keith,
thanks for the reply, I shall look for some bilstein shocks, I didn't realise they made stuff for bikes.
Steve.

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 14

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Wed May 21, 2014 6:34 pm

Steve,
You should note that the Bilsteins are not adjustable for either preload or damping (At least mine are not) so you would need to make sure that the shocks are built to your requirements. Again, Unit Sidecars may be able to help with spring rates etc. I must say that, as delivered from Wasp, mine were spot-on.
I did have Hagons on the front and rear of my R80 outfit but did find that the front lost their damping quite quickly although the rears were fine. Why this should have been the case, I don't know.
Keith
R1200RT
Kawasaki Versys 650

Sofa
Forum User
Country of Residence: U.K.

Postby Sofa » Thu May 22, 2014 10:44 am

Hedingham (Unit) can supply you with the correct shocks. But they are just Hagons with a Unit label on. I spoke to Hagon and got what I wanted following a diplomatic conversation along the lines of, You supply Unit but they charge a lot more more. I couldn't possibly comment. But they would fit. Yes they would if you knew what spec they were. Don't you know that? We supply what they ask for so we don't know what they will fit. So if I find out what spec I need from them and then tell you, you can them supply me. Yes. And I would not be paying the extra just for a label. I couldn't possibly comment! The shocks for the links on an airhead are the same length as the shocks on the rear of the bike, you just need to know the spring rating which then determines the damping. I rang Hedingham, talked about buying the shocks but waffled on about how I was a big bloke and I carried a lot of stuff so were their shocks up to the job, they said Oh yes with the ....rated springs you wold be fine, made my excuses rang Hagon and told them the spec. At the time Unit wanted about £170 a pair plus carriage, Hagon £110 including carriage. So measure your rear shocks eye to eye, and the eye and bush size, check the fronts are the same, get the spring rating from Hedingham, somehow. But you need to speak to the guys in the workshop at Hagon, as they actually build them, not the office. Sorry but I don't seem to have made a note of what mine where.
2003 K1200GT Hedingham HUB Sidecar. RSP Top Yoke, RT bars, ABS/Servo removed, Klicktronic. EZS subframe, trail reducing kit and rear wheel. Wheelchair rack. Previous BMWs R80RT mono, R1100GS, R80RT (added a sidecar), R100RT sidecar, K75, K100 sidecar x2, K1100 sidecar, R1150R.

Nabsim

Postby Nabsim » Fri May 23, 2014 6:29 pm

Hagon should be able to tell you what rating without that, they are, or used to be OEM for lots of sidecar stuff.Wonder if its because they supply Unit? If you can tell them length and load they should be able to work it out anyway if Unit don't give you the info. My maths are rubbish but I will be surprised if someone here can't tell you ;)

stevew

Postby stevew » Fri May 23, 2014 8:27 pm

Thanks for the replies, I have bought the Hagon 'sidecar' shocks from motorworks, that is the cheapest place for them. If they don't work I might get the original Koni's rebuilt.
Steve.

Sofa
Forum User
Country of Residence: U.K.

Postby Sofa » Fri May 23, 2014 8:34 pm

I think you will find the Motorworks sidecar shocks are for the rear of the bike, I tried my rear ones on the links and they didn't work, but can't remember if they where too soft or hard.
2003 K1200GT Hedingham HUB Sidecar. RSP Top Yoke, RT bars, ABS/Servo removed, Klicktronic. EZS subframe, trail reducing kit and rear wheel. Wheelchair rack. Previous BMWs R80RT mono, R1100GS, R80RT (added a sidecar), R100RT sidecar, K75, K100 sidecar x2, K1100 sidecar, R1150R.

stevew

Postby stevew » Fri May 23, 2014 8:46 pm

Thanks for the replies, I have bought the Hagon 'sidecar' shocks from motorworks, that is the cheapest place for them. If they don't work I might get the original Koni's rebuilt.
Steve.

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 14

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Fri May 23, 2014 9:02 pm

I went the same route on my R80 outfit and found the original rear shocks were too hard on the front..
I know it's a different outfit but the wheel loadings on my K1100RS and EZS Rally are:
Front: 173kg
Rear: 209kg
Sidecar: 72kg
The difference front to rear will possibly be greater on an airhead outfit because of the lighter engine, no radiator/coolant etc.whereas everything behind the clutch will probably a similar weight.
R1200RT
Kawasaki Versys 650

Return to “Sidecar Chat”