Hey from Central Canada

We're a friendly bunch here so why not introduce yourself to the community

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Don't forget that you MUST log-in at least once every six months to keep your account active. Failure to do so will result in your account being deleted on the assumption that it's unused.

PLEASE only use this forum to introduce yourselves - technical queries here are likely to go unanswered.
LarryR
Forum User
Country of Residence: Canada

Hey from Central Canada

Postby LarryR » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:23 am

Hello all from Central Canada. I'm getting back into riding next year and have a project that I know I will need some advice with;
The bike is an intact 1972 R75/5 which has been stored for about twenty years. It's always been inside and covered, but hasn't been in climate controlled storage so has been exposed to -30 Canadian winters.
I am in no way any kind of mechanic or tinkerer so will probably be asking lots of questions step-by-step in order to get this bike on the road next year without risk of doing any damage to it - it's a real prize!

P-K
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: England

Re: Hey from Central Canada

Postby P-K » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:58 pm

Hi There

Welcome to the Forum :smile:
Phil,
''93 R100GSPD : '17 R9T Urban G/S : '12 R1200R
Site Administrator, Assistant Webmaster and Official Club Tweeter @BMRidersClub

Jon S
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: UK

Postby Jon S » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:55 pm

Hi Larry, welcome etc. Nice biking country you live in, I'm green with envy.
Stay vertical
JonS
"Never push a full commode" :grin:

CharlieVictor
Forum User
Country of Residence: France

Postby CharlieVictor » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:35 pm

Hello all from Central Canada. I'm getting back into riding next year and have a project that I know I will need some advice with;
The bike is an intact 1972 R75/5 which has been stored for about twenty years. It's always been inside and covered, but hasn't been in climate controlled storage so has been exposed to -30 Canadian winters.
I am in no way any kind of mechanic or tinkerer so will probably be asking lots of questions step-by-step in order to get this bike on the road next year without risk of doing any damage to it - it's a real prize!

Hello from Eastern Canada (well, a few years ago...)

Don't want to piss on your parade, but if as you say you are not mechanically-inclined or even know much about motorcycles, I think you will need more than mere advice. Restoring a bike like that requires total dismantling, assessment and then... dough !!! And we are talking proficiency far beyond knowing how to change oil or read sparkplugs!

The dilemma of restoring classic vehicles is that if you have the resto done by a third party, the cost will very quickly offset the value of the vehicle restored. It can take a few decades (if ever) for the vehicle's value to actually reach the price that the resto cost...

I haven't seen your bike in the Airhead Q&A section, maybe I missed it. Would be good to see some pictures.
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"
1999 W65L "Twin with a kick"

Return to “Introduce Yourself”