Antique returning motorcyclist

We're a friendly bunch here so why not introduce yourself to the community

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Don't forget that you MUST log-in at least once every six months to keep your account active. Failure to do so will result in your account being deleted on the assumption that it's unused.

PLEASE only use this forum to introduce yourselves - technical queries here are likely to go unanswered.
Ray Collington
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Antique returning motorcyclist

Postby Ray Collington » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi all,

As someone who stopped riding 30+ years ago but never lost the love of the machinery, I am old enough to be fully aware of the consequences of becoming a statistic and have recently been taking back to biking lessons. I am thoroughly loving the experience and realise that I never had any formal training when I learnt back in the 70"s. I am also in the research stage of what motorcycle to get and as a time served truck mechanic will probably look for a boxer from an era that will allow me to spanner it. I hope to glean some knowledge and wisdom from the vast experience of this forum. Given the electronics and technology used today, I guess my first query will be, what is the newest BMW boxer engine motorcycle that can be easily maintained and parts readily available? I am keen to avoid a basket case or get something so new that it needs the main dealer for much of the work. Any suggestions and first thoughts are most welcome.

Thanks and regards

Ray

Berkshire UK

DEEP DIVER
Forum User
Country of Residence: ENGLAND

Re: Antique returning motorcyclist

Postby DEEP DIVER » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:54 pm

Welcome to the forum Ray. You should look at a mid 90s airhead boxer. And a member K.C. is thinking of selling his. See the post on this link.
Or any of the airhead range as you have no efi or ecu's.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=13938&p=193092#p193092
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Blue belt in Serious tea drinking.

Barry the old goat!!!!
1985 R80ST being rebuilt #-o
1985 R80RT Touring dream :smile:
2 Harley sportsters being rebuilt #-o
And a VW trike so I don't fall off :shock:

Galactic Greyhound
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:08 pm

Hi Ray,

Welcome to the forum!
……...Given the electronics and technology used today, I guess my first query will be, what is the newest BMW boxer engine motorcycle that can be easily maintained and parts readily available?...….

That's not an easy question to answer! :smile:

Much depends on what you want to use the bike for - local riding?, touring in the UK?, touring in Europe?, riding one or two up?

Parts new/used are still generally available for the early points-ignition Boxers from James Sherlock, MotoBins and Motorworks who are the three main parts suppliers in the UK.

You local BMW dealer will also be able to order new parts likely even for some of the older models.

How comfortable are you working with ECU-controlled ignition and fuel systems and ABS?

The forum has many members who can assist online if you encounter problems no matter what bike you decide on so don't be put off a modern boxer by it's technology.

There are also the F-Series, G-Series and K-Series bikes to consider as well as the R-Series (Boxers).

As this section of the forum is just to 'Introduce Yourself', it might be better to start a new Topic in the 'General Motorcycle Chat' section to discuss what BMW bike might suit you best and where you can make your abilities and requirements known to get feedback from the members.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

Issy
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby Issy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:15 pm

Hi Ray

It is difficult to recommend a bike for a returning motorcyclist as virtually any modern bike will be bigger and much more powerful than anything you rode 30+ years ago. As an example the 1981 R100RS was the flagship of BMW's range back then but only produced something like 70bhp. A bog standard 1995 R1100R which was a basic model produced 90bhp. An up-to-date S1000RR will produce 193bhp! And yet they are all of 1000cc-1100cc.

Having said that of course air-heads are lovely, easy to maintain and ride machines, but to be honest the R1100s aren't that much more complicated to work on (certainly for a truck mechanic) and are IMHO nicer to ride.

Try and blag some rides on examples of bikes you might like to buy and hopefully you will 'gel' with something. Either way welcome back to the world's greatest hobby.

Ian

Ray Collington
Forum User

Postby Ray Collington » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:24 pm

Thank you gentlemen, it's comforting to know that so much knowledge and experience is held amongst you and that you are willing to help us learn.

Thanks and regards

P-K
Site Admin/Club Member

Postby P-K » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:00 pm

Hi Ray,
Whatever you choose, Welcome to the Forum :smile:
Phil,
'17 R9T Urban G/S : '12 R1200R
Site Administrator, Assistant Webmaster and Official Club Tweeter @BMRidersClub

HughMcQ
Forum User

Postby HughMcQ » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:34 pm

The other thing to take into account Ray is 30 years ago we had the Haynes manual to help with maintenance and that was about it. Now we have online fiches to identify parts, Ebay etc to buy parts, forums like this and Youtube which will show you virtually all aspects of maintenance, repair and replacement (from washing your bike to replacing your clutch). If you decide to get a later bike but are worried about the complexity, there is a great deal of help available.

CharlieVictor
Forum User
Country of Residence: France

Postby CharlieVictor » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:23 pm

Welcome here.

Good answers about the technical parts.
About the possible rusting skills, I would strongly recommend you find a defensive driving/riding course in the vicinity, or get in touch with Mike here:

http://www.mikewaite.co.uk/about/
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"
1999 W650 RS "Twin with a kick"

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:49 pm

Hi
we;come, Ced's right this is the introduce yourself section so I know I should not advise here------------- but the bike to buy is an R100R

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:07 pm

Hi Ray,

Welcome to the forum...
If you ask here what bike you should buy, you'll get as many different answers as you get answers and not one of them will be wrong.

For my part, I think you could do a lot worse than look at a late airhead boxer. They were built till '95 in a variety of styles to suit your riding requirements. They are still VERY capable machines with the minimum of electronics. They are straightforward enough that any half competent wrench can dismantle them to the nuts and bolts level (and more importantly reassemble them so they work!) and the parts availability is still very good. I've nothing against the later 'Oilhead' boxers but they are more complicated and you are starting to get into the realm of mapped electronic ignition and that sort of complexity.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

Jon S
Club Member 13

Postby Jon S » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:13 am

Hi Chap, welcome to the forum etc. Like you I returned to the joys of two wheels at the not so grand age of 60 after a longish lay off. If you're looking for a reliable air head you can't go far wrong with a R80 or R100. Personally I have a 79 reg R100RT that's as solid as the day it was released from the factory, it's had a few tweeks but is more or less as it left the factory and it didn't cost a lottery win.
Jon S
"Livin' Life n' Lovin' Every Minute" :grin:

1979 R100RT :smile:
1962 Norton 600cc Slimline Model 99 "Dominator" :cool:

Ruralman
Club Member 13

Postby Ruralman » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:57 pm

Hi Ray,
Welcome to the forum
Safe riding
Regards
Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
chairman@bmridersclub.com
----------------------------------
2006 R1200GSA
'Live to ride - ride to live'
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Ray Collington
Forum User

Postby Ray Collington » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:37 pm

Guys, thank you all for your kind welcome and very useful comments, much appreciated.

Best regards

Ray

gogs01
Club Member 13

Postby gogs01 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:53 pm

Ray,
Welcome to the forum - and please let us know what you decide what to buy, whether or not it is a BMW ! :grin:
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

raesewell
Forum User

Postby raesewell » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:42 pm

Welcome in Ray I had a 33 year break before coming back to biking several years ago, I took a refresher course to ease myself back into it.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”