R90/6. The Phoenix shall rise....hopefully!

We're a friendly bunch here so why not introduce yourself to the community

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Don't forget that you MUST log-in at least once every six months to keep your account active. Failure to do so will result in your account being deleted on the assumption that it's unused.

PLEASE only use this forum to introduce yourselves - technical queries here are likely to go unanswered.
RustyNuts
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

R90/6. The Phoenix shall rise....hopefully!

Postby RustyNuts » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:04 pm

Hi all, and thanks for letting me join the forum.

I have an R90/6 that requires a total rebuild top to bottom and everywhere in between.

Long story short...I bought her about 28 years ago and she came with a HUGE Vetter fairing the size of Wales, complete with cigarette lighter in the dash (seriously?). Handled like a bucket of ice on marbles!

I put the lousy handling and outrageous fuel consumption (20 mpg) down to the fairing, so off it came. Immediate transformation in terms of mpg which went up to 50, but she still waggled her head a bit and there was an oil leak from the left cylinder base. Dropped the engine and gearbox out and found that the frame rail had snapped clean through just forward of the front left engine mount. The break had been disguised with paint and I just didn't see it when I bought her. Hey Ho, Caveat Emptor, let's just get on with life.

Stripped her down and bought a decent 2nd hand replacement frame. All bolted back together and she ran like a dream for a year until the gearbox return spring broke 30 miles from home. That was a very, very long and slow ride home.

At that point in life my then wife decided that there were far more interesting blokes to be with than those who got excited about oil changes and carb balancing. So I kept the bike.
With house moves etc pending, my beloved BM went into storage and I promised her that I would get around to sorting her out (the bike, not the ex...) as soon as I could. That was 27 years ago!

I owe my beloved BM a sincere apology. The frame and engine lie forlorn in the garage, the gearbox and petrol tank are on a shelf somewhere. A petrified black python, which I believe to be the wiring loom, lies in the cellar together with the seat, exhausts and a whole load of other essential bits. She doesn't talk to me anymore. She feels, quite rightly, that she's been neglected and ignored. Shame on me!

My 'new' wife of 26 years understands. She's an ex biker herself, bought me a Harley for my 50th, and realises that there are times (quite a lot of them in my case), when a spouse has to spend intimate moments in a garage with his twin, whether that be horizontal or vertical. The Harley departed this year and for the first time in 43 years I don't have a working bike to ride. This is like being told that your life is over and that you no longer have a place in society.

So I've cleared out my man-cave (my son will NOT be pleased when he realises I've moved all his music equipment into an old hay barn) and am moving my R90 in for a total strip-down to component parts in readiness for a complete re-build. I'm hoping that this resurrection will see her attached to a lovely replica Steib sidecar in due course, but let's wait and see. I'm guessing that this will cost me around 10-15k and two years to get to a sexy-Steib state, and that's more than she's worth, but I'm doing this for fun, education and, hopefully, pride of completion. I want to ride her, not sell her.

So I have a thousand questions, but I've actually read the forum rules and won't be asking anything in this section. So I'll see you all on the other side and bore you to death with my rebuild. I hope spares are plentiful!

Ride safe
David.

P-K
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: England

Re: R90/6. The Phoenix shall rise....hopefully!

Postby P-K » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:52 pm

Hi there

Welcome to the Forum :smile:
Phil,
''93 R100GSPD : '17 R9T Urban G/S : '12 R1200R
Site Administrator, Assistant Webmaster and Official Club Tweeter @BMRidersClub

RustyNuts
Forum User

Postby RustyNuts » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:26 am

Thanks Phil..!

windmill john
Forum User
Country of Residence: England
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Postby windmill john » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:59 am

Great write up David. Welcome and see you on the tech section :smile:

John
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Schorsch - 1978-80 R65 - bit of a Shetland pony; frisky and naughty.
Max - 2009 F800GS- where’s the desert at!?
Too many bikes have come and gone, trying to be sensible now!

gogs01
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby gogs01 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:29 am

Great story - good luck with the rebuild.
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

RustyNuts
Forum User

Postby RustyNuts » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:21 am

Thank you John and gogs01 for your kind comments. Already starting to get useful help which is fantastic.
All best
David

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:07 pm

Hi
welcome

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Return to “Introduce Yourself”