New(ish) bike

We're a friendly bunch here so why not introduce yourself to the community

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Don't forget that you MUST log-in at least once every six months to keep your account active. Failure to do so will result in your account being deleted on the assumption that it's unused.

PLEASE only use this forum to introduce yourselves - technical queries here are likely to go unanswered.
Brickboy
Forum User
Country of Residence: Bath, Somerset. UK

New(ish) bike

Postby Brickboy » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:51 pm

I've enjoyed getting hold of this - my all time favourite motorcycle colour scheme but applied to an R80, probably the nicest boxer to ride and own.

Makes a fine companion for the bike I'm finding myself increasingly loathe to actually ride as it's never seen rain and has only 9k on it. It's a toughie - I can hardly bring myself to use it so sometimes I feel like I am a museum director!!

And this year I've also said goodbye to this wonderful beast, but just too cramped for my very lengthy frame :(

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: New(ish) bike

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:05 pm

Ride it!

A bike deteriorates quicker if it is laid up than if used regularly and kept well-maintained!

Also, if you like the bike so much, then the memories of riding it will far exceed the memories of polishing it.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

windmill john
Forum User
Country of Residence: England
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Postby windmill john » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:21 pm

Ride it!

A bike deteriorates quicker if it is laid up than if used regularly and kept well-maintained!

Also, if you like the bike so much, then the memories of riding it will far exceed the memories of polishing it.
Plus 1
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Bumble, my 700 Transalp.
Gupta, my 350 Bullet.
Sundance, my 500T.
Sold my Airheads, what an idiot, but Honda is also great.
Too many bikes have come and gone, trying to be sensible now!

Mjolinor
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby Mjolinor » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:28 pm

polishing it
What is this? I just scrape mine off when the crap gets deep enough to plough and sow.

On the car it gets cleaned out when the crap in the passenger footwell becomes a safety hazard by falling into the drivers footwell.

j8ejc
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: UK

Postby j8ejc » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:44 pm

Welcome from Gtr Manchester
Another for: just ride it and enjoy it.
The R80 looks lovely in that paint scheme

John
R11RT

kent_instructor10
Forum User
Country of Residence: Kent, UK

Postby kent_instructor10 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:09 pm

Lovely looking machines. Yes definitely ride them! I can understand you not wanting to get them crudded up on a wet road though.

Brickboy
Forum User
Country of Residence: Bath, Somerset. UK

Postby Brickboy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:22 pm

Yes, I hear you! I got the R80 as the any weather bike to protect the 100 from emergency, broken car commute situations. Of course once I saw it I thought, blimey, that's clean! Still, not as clean as the R100R so it's become my go to bike: 40k but loads of excellent period mods and looks like a well used classic, with plenty of scope for minor improvement - just the way I like em.

The thing is, it's the first 80 I've had, after loads of 100s. Aren't they lovely and smooth? So smooth I've even wondered if I could live without the bigger bike and have room for either an outfit or an oldBrit as a companion or counterpoint to the 80.

That's the danger of a spotless, low miles bike. When you don't ride it the inevitable question is why are you keeping it, particularly when your less shiny bike has no reason not to be ridden anytime and is nicely owner-involving. Plus it has that smoke grey paint job. Black is so yesterday!!

I'm not sure if the R100R will last is my current answer... Well, I think I probably am sure but I'm making myself wait a bit before I advertise. I sold a similar one 8yrs ago and wished I hadn't but I've changed since then and static exhibits aren't really my thing.

P-K
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: England

Postby P-K » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:50 am

I used to have an R80GS.
Lovely motor
Phil,
'17 R9T Urban G/S : '12 R1200R
Site Administrator, Assistant Webmaster and Official Club Tweeter @BMRidersClub

Return to “Introduce Yourself”