UK to Italy - how long?

The new BM Riders Club Forum - OPEN TO ALL

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This forum is for the benefit of BM Riders Club Members but is open for all to share so that you can see the advantages of becoming a Club Member which would then permit you to attend Club events.
Palouse Rider

UK to Italy - how long?

Postby Palouse Rider » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:18 am

I'm not familiar with travel times here yet. If I want to go to north Italy comfortably, about how long should I plan for? We want to go to Como Lake, stay for a few days, and then go to Verona and Venice. Just looking at google maps, it seems I could get to Luxemburg the first day, then Como the next. Is that too ambitious?

Andy Raggett
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: England

Re: UK to Italy - how long?

Postby Andy Raggett » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:25 am

It probably could be done in 2 days, but that would mean a lot of time in the saddle. I would allow 3 days for the journey.

STrider
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby STrider » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:10 am

I agree....make the trip down there part of the holiday and not just a dash down there. Or you could cheat! I ride to Dusseldorf from either Zeebrugge or Rotterdam and catch the AutoZug down to Munich or Alessandria in Northern Italy.
John

F800GS

ilkleyal

Postby ilkleyal » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:18 pm

I agree....make the trip down there part of the holiday and not just a dash down there. Or you could cheat! I ride to Dusseldorf from either Zeebrugge or Rotterdam and catch the AutoZug down to Munich or Alessandria in Northern Italy.

Can you tell me more about this?

I have for ages wanted to ride in iItaly but the getting there is the problem. Is this a service that you can put your bike on?

Cheers

Al.

STrider
Forum User

Postby STrider » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:26 pm

Hi Al

The DB AutoZug service is a motor rail service.....cars and motorbikes are carried on twin decker wagons at the rear of the train and the carriages are couchettes and compartments. I've used it several times from Dusseldorf down to Munich and last year down to Alessandria in Italy using one of their special discounted biker offers. By the time you've factored in fuel, overnight stays etc, the costs are about break-even but its just a relaxing way off getting some tedious miles out of the way. First time we used it, 180 bikes were loaded onto our train.......all riding off together at Munich was an experience!
John

F800GS

BAGGY
Forum User
Country of Residence: uk

Postby BAGGY » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:55 pm

Took me three days to lake Como with half a day in the Shlumpf museum -which is worth the visit, real eye opener.
Trophy 900,
Suzuki GS1000
400/4
RS250
CB175
Bantam
M20
MZ's
Tiger Cub
Ariel Model C

spot

Postby spot » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:24 pm

Took me a day and a bit to get there and about a day back. if you get the boat to Rotterdam it is possible in one day but 2 is better. try to get a bit below luxumberg in the first day if you can. Going through france is slower than germany.

ilkleyal

Postby ilkleyal » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:15 am

Hi Al

The DB AutoZug service is a motor rail service.....cars and motorbikes are carried on twin decker wagons at the rear of the train and the carriages are couchettes and compartments. I've used it several times from Dusseldorf down to Munich and last year down to Alessandria in Italy using one of their special discounted biker offers. By the time you've factored in fuel, overnight stays etc, the costs are about break-even but its just a relaxing way off getting some tedious miles out of the way. First time we used it, 180 bikes were loaded onto our train.......all riding off together at Munich was an experience!

Very interesting, thanks, I will investigate this :grin:

Al.

colinsb
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby colinsb » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:43 pm

An alternative is the Dutch motorail service, http://www.autoslaaptrein.nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , to Alessandria or Livorno. I haven't tried it myself but a Roman friend who lives and works in the Home Counties swears by it. If you're riding down, Speyer is a good stopover, visiting the Technik Museum with its own hotel.

STrider
Forum User

Postby STrider » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:23 pm

We were going to use the Dutch motorail from ’s-Hertogenbosch to Alessandria last year but the DB Autozug had a better deal and Dusseldorf is only about 3 hours ride from Rotterdam. Either way, there's something nice about a relaxing train ride with the bike on the back and offloading on a sunny morning in Italy!
John

F800GS

ilkleyal

Postby ilkleyal » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:37 am

An alternative is the Dutch motorail service, http://www.autoslaaptrein.nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , to Alessandria or Livorno. I haven't tried it myself but a Roman friend who lives and works in the Home Counties swears by it. If you're riding down, Speyer is a good stopover, visiting the Technik Museum with its own hotel.

Autoslaap wants a good slap.

What a rubbish web site. Cant get further than step 1 as it wont let you put a departure date in the box.

Great idea but will have to ring them which really sucks.

Palouse Rider

Postby Palouse Rider » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:24 am

Thanks for the great information guys! The AutoZug sounds like a good idea.

XXL Ged

Postby XXL Ged » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:35 pm

I wouldn't miss out on the ride to Italy on scenic roads for anything. How else could you experience the regional and cultural differences, the smells, bendy roads, or the views without riding or stopping. I'd rather spend the 3 days riding and spend little time at my destination.

My wife however, just wants to get on the plane and get off at the other side, AKA sensory deprivation. The plan for next year is for me to go on the bike and meet her at her destination airport. Her loss!

gogs01
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby gogs01 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:17 am

I wouldn't miss out on the ride to Italy on scenic roads for anything. How else could you experience the regional and cultural differences, the smells, bendy roads, or the views without riding or stopping. I'd rather spend the 3 days riding and spend little time at my destination.

My wife however, just wants to get on the plane and get off at the other side, AKA sensory deprivation. The plan for next year is for me to go on the bike and meet her at her destination airport. Her loss!
Agree 100% with the first paragraph. That's why I ride a R1200RT. If I was going to put it on a train everywhere I'd buy a scooter.
Fortunately, my wife is scared of flying, so we've had at least one European holiday on the bike every year for the last 25 years !
Club member #480
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

STrider
Forum User

Postby STrider » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:00 am

You didn't get my drift gogs re the train. When you have limited time and want to enjoy the best of the roads down in the Alps, Austria and Italy, the train did its purpose of getting rid of a lot of boring miles at probably 500 miles per day.
John

F800GS

gogs01
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby gogs01 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:31 am

You didn't get my drift gogs re the train. When you have limited time and want to enjoy the best of the roads down in the Alps, Austria and Italy, the train did its purpose of getting rid of a lot of boring miles at probably 500 miles per day.
OK, understood. I accept that there are interesting roads and roads which are much less interesting so I do see your reasoning. I just try to make a round trip to fit the time available and enjoy the mix of long fast motorways and tight, difficult, slow but hugely entertaining roads. My most recent trip was to Rome then back to Amsterdam via the route Napoleon (N85) and some very interesting minor roads around that area. A very satisfying mix for me.
Our trip from Amsterdam (Ijmuiden) to Rome took us three days without any effort, so Calais to North of Italy can certainly be done in a (long) day, but two would be a more sensible plan, and Italy's a big country, so if heading further South a third day might have to be factored in (in my opinion).
So, I guess like tyres and oil, we all have different ideas on where to go and how to get there ?
Club member #480
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

Return to “BM Riders Club”