Jelled

The new BM Riders Club Forum - OPEN TO ALL

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This forum is for the benefit of BM Riders Club Members but is open for all to share so that you can see the advantages of becoming a Club Member which would then permit you to attend Club events.
Dom

Jelled

Postby Dom » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:05 am

We had a ZZR 1100 D7 before this RT1200 07 and I could repair everything on it but this Rt I just have not become one with the bike after 18 months.
So I am considering selling it and buying the GS which we test rode and enjoyed.
I just thought the RT would be a more sensible bike and would offer a greater carrying capacity, how wrong I was.
I have a problem with leg room on a bike.
So what bikes would you surgest without getting the Hardley option.

goldenoldy
Forum User
Country of Residence: united kingdom

Re: Jelled

Postby goldenoldy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:57 pm

which way is the problem Dom, too high or too low?

george baker
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:14 pm

Hi
Lolo has a 28 inch inside leg IIRC, she posted the info somewhere on the site and she rides a factory lowered R1200GS if it is short leg problem

George
Member 21, R100R, and an under used K75

Lolo
Country of Residence: Portugal

Postby Lolo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:52 pm

Yes factory lowered is great for us shorties :grin: you can also put the lowered seat on the GS and GSA if you lowered the suspension and still touch the floor.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Living the dream :sunny:

gogs01
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby gogs01 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:21 am

We had a ZZR 1100 D7 before this RT1200 07 and I could repair everything on it but this Rt I just have not become one with the bike after 18 months.
So I am considering selling it and buying the GS which we test rode and enjoyed.
I just thought the RT would be a more sensible bike and would offer a greater carrying capacity, how wrong I was.
I have a problem with leg room on a bike.
So what bikes would you surgest without getting the Hardley option.
I used to have a ZZR100, D1 and now have a R1200RT, and I can't understand what the issue above is.
If Dom simply hasn't gelled with the RT then ok - it is very different from the ZZR. The GS is also different, but for me the RT is the more "sensible" bike and does indeed offer a greater (practical) carrying capacity than the ZZR. I fitted Krauser panniers and top box to the ZZR which carried approximately the same as the RT, but the bike was then almost as wide as a Transit van and with the wife on the back it was difficult to keep the front wheel in contact with the road - no such problems with the RT. I really enjoy being able to filter through traffic jams and I feel that the RT is much better in that situation than the ZZR or a GS fitted with all the "overland" gear to give it a similar carrying capacity.
As for leg room, an RT can be made to give more or less than a ZZR by varying seat thicknesses and heights. The reference to the "Hardley" option suggests to me that Dom might have difficulty flat footing the RT, in which case the low seat option in the lower position should cure the problem much easier than buying a taller bike (the GS) and having to pay for lowered suspension (and possibly a lower seat too ?)
Club member #480
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

Return to “BM Riders Club”