1 week into my BMW experience

The new BM Riders Club Forum - OPEN TO ALL

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This forum is for the benefit of BM Riders Club Members but is open for all to share so that you can see the advantages of becoming a Club Member which would then permit you to attend Club events.
Sibbo46

1 week into my BMW experience

Postby Sibbo46 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:43 pm

Well it's been a week of constant rain and about 400 miles covered on my 06 1200GT. First impressions? Frugal - need to verify computers 56 mpg when I fill up. Comfy, although suspension is not as plush as my ex ZZR1400 even on ESA comfort setting. Engine great torque but no where near as smooth as ZZR. Hate the indicator system - how are you supposed to cancel them when exiting a roundabout and accelerating / changing up? Really difficult to pull away smoothly as clutch does not engage until lever is 90% out and is really 'grabby' at the last part. Wind noise bad with screen down, just bearable with screen up. On the plus side gearbox is sweet - no clunk into first! Headlight is fantastic. Good road holding in the wet. I've been told it takes time to 'get into' BMW ownership so ill post updates over the next few weeks.

lordy27

Re: 1 week into my BMW experience

Postby lordy27 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:21 am

Stick with it, they are an acquired taste :wink:

Lolo
Country of Residence: Portugal

Postby Lolo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:29 pm

No clunk into first must be something wrong with it ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Living the dream :sunny:

Twisty

Postby Twisty » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:31 pm

Engine great torque but no where near as smooth as ZZR.
It's a twin, it'll never be as smooth as a four.

Hate the indicator system - how are you supposed to cancel them when exiting a roundabout and accelerating / changing up?
You'll get used to it and when you do you'll think the 'Japanese' system is weird.

Really difficult to pull away smoothly as clutch does not engage until lever is 90% out and is really 'grabby' at the last part.
Again you will get used to it. It's an engine speed clutch!

On the plus side gearbox is sweet - no clunk into first!
I'm with Lolo on this one :smile:

I've been told it takes time to 'get into' BMW ownership.
It does, enjoy
:cool:

Sibbo46

Postby Sibbo46 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:48 pm

Just to clarify its a k1200gt so four cyl same as ZZR Pardon my ignorance but what's an engine speed clutch?

Twisty

Postby Twisty » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:14 pm

Just to clarify its a k1200gt so four cyl same as ZZR Pardon my ignorance but what's an engine speed clutch?

Oops sorry, had it in my head it was a R1200rt. :oops:

Engine speed clutch - like a car, on the crankshaft and therefore spins at engine speed. ZZR and K1200 clutch is geared down by the primary drive so wrong again :oops: #-o ](*,)

Think I need a holiday =D> :cool:

Return to “BM Riders Club”