1200GS or 1200RT?

The new BM Riders Club Forum - OPEN TO ALL

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This forum is for the benefit of BM Riders Club Members but is open for all to share so that you can see the advantages of becoming a Club Member which would then permit you to attend Club events.
littleade

1200GS or 1200RT?

Postby littleade » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:20 pm

Hi chaps,

I introduced myself a few weeks ago as I'm looking to get another bike, BM ofcourse. I've been looking at the motorrad site alot lately and plan to get some test rides in post the 2014 launch weekend with the GS being a prime contender. I've also started looking at the new RT too as the photos look really good. Are there any of you who have owned both in the 1200 guise and can give some long term advice on what the pros and cons of each are and what they are like to ride. I'd also be interested in knowing what the pillion perspective is too as I'm going to try and encourage the wife to join me. I'll be using the bike for pleasure and rides out. Thanks, Ade

george baker
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: uk

Re: 1200GS or 1200RT?

Postby george baker » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:56 pm

Hi
well.... there is comment on 1200GS new post today but......

George
Member 21, R100R, and an under used K75

ianl
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby ianl » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:15 pm

Can't comment on the RT but would suggest you ignore the anti GS diatribe that appears to be a developing trend based on I don't know quite what. It may be that there are some people who wouldn't have a good word to say about a GS because it's just too popular, heaven forbid. There is a good reason for this. Have a ride on one and make a decision based on how it rides for you.

Ian
Ian

2007 R1200GS
The cause of most motorcycle faults is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat

Rugbycoach
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Yorkshire

Postby Rugbycoach » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:06 am

Ade, I have had the 1150 RT, 1200GS, 1200RT and now have the 1200GSA. For touring two up the RT is superb especially with all the bells and whistles. For real fun and one or two up touring the GSA does it for me. Even without all the bells and whistles (saved money) My pillion's also prefer(d) the Gs's the seat being a little narrower. The heated seat on the RT in very wet weather helped create bum blisters!!! not pleasant!!! I find the larger fuel tank on the GSA very comforting and not having to stop every 200 mls to fill up, also the large screen. As with most things it becomes a personal preference. your have to try them and take your time hopefully getting it right. dont be afaid of testing more than once. I daren't test the new GSA!!!!!!
Colin
R1200GSA

littleade

Postby littleade » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:40 am

Thanks for the replies so far chaps,

George, is that post in the members section? I've bitten the paypal bullet and joined tonight....even without a bike!

Ian, I'm not overly influenced by negative comments, just thought I'd be good to get others thoughts as a bit of 'homework' before I take the test drives. I bought my car 18months ago and the forum concerned was full of negative comments about it by others, mostly by people who didn't own one. It was a limited edition and they made 500 and sold out in a couple of months which said it all really. Having read in the bike press (so it must be true...) the GS has been a real success for BMW then it can't be all bad!

Colin, good feedback just the sort of thing I was after thanks. Interesting your pilion prefers the GS. We had a VFR years ago and she used to ride pillion on that, but we then had kids and I got a blade so that put an end to that! She showed no interest in the R1150R but that was partly because the kids were still fairly young. Now the devils are at uni I'm hoping she'll want to join me, even if its not for every ride hence the interest in the pillion viewpoint.I might ask for a go on the GSA so I can let you know. Cheers chaps. Ade

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:15 am

Hi Ade,

One thing that may influence your choice of a GS or RT is the accessibility for maintenance.

I have a R1100RT, probably the best two-up long-distance touring bike I have ever had - I love it. The weather protection is excellent both for the rider and the pillion. The downside is that the fairing makes maintenance more time consuming.

This is not such a great problem if you are doing the maintenance yourself in your own garage, probably only adding an hour or so to the time for a full service to remove and replace the fairing sides. Where it is a disadvantage is if a problem occurs on the road - it is not practical to remove a fairing side at the side of a road to investigate a problem.

The GS is much more open to inspection and any problem might be observed and investigated much easier. This is the only reason I would choose the GS over the RT.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

Rugbycoach
Club Member 14

Postby Rugbycoach » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:30 am

AND for cleaning Ced getting underneath the Rt was a real pain!!!!
Colin
R1200GSA

littleade

Postby littleade » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:16 pm

There was me thinking BM's didn't break down, :lol: again good feedback chaps. TBH if it broke down I wouldn't have a clue so I'd be ringing the RAC PDQ. I do have a OCD problem with anything automotive so if the RT is harder to clean that could be an 'issue' to give you a clue to what I'm like I used to push paper towels between the fins on the head of my R1150R to absord the water after I'd washed it. I'm planning on visiting the dealer next week to have a closer look and see what sort of deal they'll offer me so that should prove useful. Cheers Ade

Rugbycoach
Club Member 14

Postby Rugbycoach » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:24 am

To really clean the RT you will have to take the plastic off or accept the dirt is hidden? like I did. the GS is there for all to see!!!!
Colin
R1200GSA

george baker
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:21 pm

HI
if you can not see the dirt then is the bike still dirty?

George
Member 21, R100R, and an under used K75

littleade

Postby littleade » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:35 pm

Thanks Colin. I used to keep my R1150R clean, so I guess the regime/issues would be roughly the same for the GS, though TBH I found the R alot easier to keep clean than the Fireblade I had before, but that also had chains and sprockets as well as Japanese build methods and seemed to have more nooks and crannies that the R did.
Another question about the RT please-do the panniers come off easily? The bike would have to be stored along the end wall of my double garage, with the back end side on to the front of my car. Previously I had a Clio so there was a lot of free space available. I've now got a longer car, so space is more limited and the overall width of the bike from the riders footpegs back is going to be important and I'm limited where it can go because of other 'stuff' along that end wall in the garage- a freezer and tumble dryer and SWMBO has made it clear if I have a bike her car will still be going inthe garage!

Cheers

Ade

gogs01
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby gogs01 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:53 pm

......Another question about the RT please-do the panniers come off easily? ...... Ade
Panniers pop off very easily - insert key & twist, handle pops up, grab handle & lift - easy peasy. Fitting is even easier, if that's possible. :smile:
Club member #480
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

littleade

Postby littleade » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:37 pm

......Another question about the RT please-do the panniers come off easily? ...... Ade
Panniers pop off very easily - insert key & twist, handle pops up, grab handle & lift - easy peasy. Fitting is even easier, if that's possible. :smile:
Brill, thanks. Will need to get the tape measure out to see how much space I've got the visit the dealer. I'll look bonkers measuring a GS and RT on their stands but ho hum. :joker: :joker:

peter
Club Member 14

Postby peter » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:02 pm

I also did measure my R1150R before buying.
Than I made a drawing to see if I could get it in.
After that I made a testdrive, also to fit the bike in the storidge below the appartment.
So don't worry too much about measuring a bike.
Peter
Used to own a 1982 R100CS, but it was destroyed by a truck.
2003 R1150R + Touratec Alu boxes + Gimbel fairing + MC Cruise Cruisecontroll

littleade

Postby littleade » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:09 pm

Don't worry Peter, I'm not bothered about getting strange looks. When the mk1 gave me the heave ho I bought a small detatched house (well the building society did!) While it was being built I went round with a load of bits of paper cut out to the same size as the furniture I had to see how much room I had to fit some speakers in for my stereo. It wouldn't have been so bad except there were 2 painters sat on a couple of boxes in my lounge having their lunch. They thought I was barking .......

P.S. My first (and so far only) BM was a 1150R. I really liked it, just want a bit more wind protection than it had, even with the small screen. It was such a stable bike to ride and the telelever front end and abs combo was fun. It was a sad day when some nice bloke from Nottingham rode it away.....

Return to “BM Riders Club”