Replacing handlebar grips with ease.

Got some useful tips for doing a tricky job or know of a cheap alternate part? This is the place to list them.

Moderator: Moderators

paul kent
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Replacing handlebar grips with ease.

Postby paul kent » Fri May 21, 2021 9:07 am

I recently had to replace the bar grips on both my GS1150 Adv. and my K1100RS, both of which are heated as standard equipment, what i hadnt realised was that unlike after market heated grips which are a one peoce afair, BMW original fitments are in two parts, the heated elements, and seperate the rubber grips.
So having searched for replacement heated grips i could only find the outer rubber items so bought these, now in the past i have struggled to get old grips off, and struggled even more to get the new grips on. which is why i have been putting this job off for nearly 2 years!
A mate told me of a trick of the trade when doing this job, and that is, BRAKE CLEANER, simply spray some brake cleaner under the grip and leave it for a few mins, it disolves any glue or bonded rubber enabling the grip to be pulled off very easily once off, clean the heated element with a bit more brake cleaner, also spray the inside of the new grips with a small amount of the brake cleaner, that enables easy slide on of the new grip and allows you to position it just how you want it. after a while that brake cleaner evaporates away allowing the grips to be tight on the bar or element, fix back the bar ends and job is done, 15 mins only so simple.
nearly every time i buy a bike i find the bar grips are worn out or uncomfortable, now armed with this trick its not going to be a chore to replace them in the future. =D>

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Re: Replacing handlebar grips with ease.

Postby King Herald » Fri May 21, 2021 9:53 am

.....A mate told me of a trick of the trade when doing this job, and that is, BRAKE CLEANER, simply spray some brake cleaner under the grip and leave it for a few mins, it disolves any glue or bonded rubber enabling the grip to be pulled off very easily once off, clean the heated element with a bit more brake cleaner, also spray the inside of the new grips with a small amount of the brake cleaner, that enables easy slide on of the new grip and allows you to position it just how you want it. after a while that brake cleaner evaporates away allowing the grips to be tight on the bar or element, fix back the bar ends and job is done, 15 mins only so simple.

Interesting snippet, brake cleaner. I shall remember that.

I bought some slip on Grip Puppies last week, a foam sleeve that simply slides over the existing grip to give comfort and verdure vibration. (their words)

I had the mother of all jobs getting them on, and no way in a million years will they slide on over the grooved BM grips, with the required liquid soap smeared inside, they simply hung up and jammed. And trying to force a slippery, wet, floppy foam sleeve on was a joke.

I was at the point of throwing them in the garbage when I spied an old beer can in the bin, and I sliced than to make an aluminium ‘wrap’ that I put inside the foam tube, and opened up to fit over the BM grip. A bit of tugging and pushing and I finally got both on.

Not impressed, they feel sort of big and clumsy when riding, and as I tend to ride with my left hand half over the bar end weight, as it’s comfier that way, the foam grip makes that more awkward. :???: I see them coming off soon to be replaced with stock new BM grips.

https://grip-puppy.com/
Last edited by King Herald on Sat May 22, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1997 BMW R1100R

paul kent
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Re: Replacing handlebar grips with ease.

Postby paul kent » Sat May 22, 2021 9:59 am

Yes i agree, those foam puppies are too fat, and if you are in sport mode it a job to hang on with those i found, put mine in the bin too.

Return to “Tricks 'n' Tips..”