BMW ABS II - Disassembly and Analysis

Got some useful tips for doing a tricky job or know of a cheap alternate part? This is the place to list them.

Moderator: Moderators

Galactic Greyhound
Country of Residence: Scotland

BMW ABS II - Disassembly and Analysis

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:40 am

BMW ABS II (Non - Integral) Disassembly and Analysis:

The following link shows the disassembly and analysis of the BMW ABS II 'brain' and 'Hydro Unit' with text and photographs:

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/BM ... %20D&A.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to Terry at AVDRider.com for this information.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

stig58

Re: BMW ABS II - Disassembly and Analysis

Postby stig58 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:01 pm

Excellent guide read the whole thing.....and i dont even have ABS! =D>

ilkleyal

Postby ilkleyal » Wed May 25, 2011 6:00 am

Thanks for sharing Ced
Al

lorekd

Postby lorekd » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:19 am

Hi Ced,

In your brief you mention that you use a 1/2" drive socket to remove two fittings. What size socket is this?

David

Galactic Greyhound

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:04 pm

Hi Ced,

In your brief you mention that you use a 1/2" drive socket to remove two fittings. What size socket is this?

David
Hi David,

Sorry for the delay in replying to you, I have only just seen your post.

First, the article (brief) is not written by me but by Terry at ADVRider.com. If you go onto the ADVRider site you may be able to PM Terry with any queries you have (see page 1 of 19 - Contact info).

Your query seems to refer to page 5 of 19 of the article; "The pistons can be accessed by unscrewing the two large fittings under the nipples. I used a ½” drive socket." Although I have removed my ABS2 unit from my 1996 R1100RT I have not had cause to dismantle it yet (fingers crossed!). However, although I do not therefore know the socket size for the piston cover nuts, I can say that the nuts are Metric sized. All BMW bikes use Metric size nuts, bolts and threads. Taking a guess from the picture, they might be around 17mm or 19 mm size. Whatever you do, make sure that the socket fits well over these nuts to avoid rounding them off.

Hope that helps!

Regards,
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

jeff

Postby jeff » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:20 am

Hi Ced,

Just writing to confirm your theory...I had the fatal 'kerchunk' in my abs II (2000 R1100RT) and found your article. Got at the ABS unit, followed your instructions precisely, cleaned the components and reassembled. (I did not replace any parts.) Fired it up, rolled down the drive and the ABS self-checked beautifully. You've saved me a few grand - THANKS!

For the fellow who inquired about the size of the cylinder caps - they're 22 MM. But...I tried three 22MM sockets and none had a wall narrow enough to fit into the very tight opening the cap sits in. I'm sure there's a BMW Tool for this job, but no worries - take a 22MM box wrench (or a 7/8, which I used), drop it onto the cap vertically, put a vice grip on the wrench and out she'll come.

Again, thanks for the fantastic documentation and photos.

Best Regards,

Jeff Jackson
2000 R1100 RT (now with Anti Lock Braking!)
Walla Walla, Washington, US

Galactic Greyhound

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:03 am

Hi Jeff,

Just seen your post - thanks for posting and advising the size of the socket (22mm) required to remove the ABS2 Modulator valve cylinder caps. Noted that the 22mm socket requires to be thin-walled in order to fit into the recess the cap nut sits in. If a thin-walled socket is not obtainable, it should be possible to grind down a standard socket using a bench grinder so that it fits - only a small end portion needs to be ground down.

Delighted that the fix worked for you and hopefully your post will help others with the same problem.

Happy riding! :grin:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

Return to “Tricks 'n' Tips..”