REAR BRAKES

Got some useful tips for doing a tricky job or know of a cheap alternate part? This is the place to list them.

Moderator: Moderators

goldenoldy
Forum User
Country of Residence: united kingdom

REAR BRAKES

Postby goldenoldy » Mon May 16, 2011 1:18 pm

Hi, thinking of changing the rear brake pads on my 2001 1150RT. Any pitfalls I should be aware of? Any advice welcomed.
Brian :?:

bmkev

Re: REAR BRAKES

Postby bmkev » Fri May 20, 2011 8:45 am

Hi Brain
I don't know if your 2001 RT has the same rear brake setup as my 2003 1150RS, but I couldn't manage to fit a pair of third-party pads. One was OK but the other just wouldn't go in.
I finally bought original BMW pads and discovered that the two pads were not the same thickness and, of course fitted perfectly. (The Haynes manual doesn't mention this)
Check to see if the slider pins are free as well, if not, clean them up and use a bit of copper grease on them. You should be able to wiggle the caliper a bit when it's fitted. This stopped the disc wearing out at a high rate!
Kev

goldenoldy
Forum User
Country of Residence: united kingdom

Re: REAR BRAKES

Postby goldenoldy » Fri May 20, 2011 1:04 pm

RATS!! ETC, I have a pair of non bmw pads enroute to me! Well, I will just have to check them prior to dismantling the old set up.It look fairly easy according to the Haynes, we'll see! Thanks for the tips.
Brian ](*,)

Return to “Tricks 'n' Tips..”