Oilhead Spark Plugs - A Torque tool

Got some useful tips for doing a tricky job or know of a cheap alternate part? This is the place to list them.

Moderator: Moderators

Galactic Greyhound
Country of Residence: Scotland

Oilhead Spark Plugs - A Torque tool

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:57 pm

I've got a '96 R1100RT and always like to torque spark plugs in alloy heads to minimise the risk of stripping out the threads. The problem was that it is difficult to find a tool slim enough to reach down through the rocker cover to the plugs that would mate with my torque wrench and not bind inside the spark plug cavity. This problem is exacerbated by the amount of road grit that finds its way into the cavity. A tight fitting tool can push this debris down to the spark plug hex flats where it can pack and prevent proper engagement with the tool.

The toolkit tool supplied by BMW for the job is a long 16mm box spanner with two 8mm holes through it at the rounded end for a tommy bar. This does the job quite well and, if a short tommy bar is used, limits how much torque can be applied but is not suitable for connection to a torque wrench because it lacks a suitable head drive.

The problem can be solved by utilising the existing toolkit plug box spanner, a suitably sized hex head bolt which fits neatly into the round end of the box spanner and an 8mm bolt and nut. Cut the hex head bolt to a suitable length of around 50mm and fit it into the round end of the box spanner. You can use a sleeve on the bolt shank to keep the head size down if you prefer. Drill an 8mm hole through the bolt shank and any sleeve used using the tommy bar holes in the box spanner as a guide. Fix the hex head bolt to the box spanner with the 8mm bolt and nut. Hey presto - one spark plug torque tool for 10 minutes work!

The tool can easily be broken back down to the original box spanner and tommy bar arrangement if required.

Edit: Photo added -
Oilhead Spark Plug Torque Tool_F.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Galactic Greyhound on Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

Lolo
Country of Residence: Portugal

Re: Oilhead Spark Plugs - A Torque tool

Postby Lolo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:40 pm

Great tip Ced :smile:

Do these ideas just come to you from no where or are they a needs must problem solved :-k
Living the dream :sunny:

Galactic Greyhound
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:43 pm

Great tip Ced :smile:

Do these ideas just come to you from no where or are they a needs must problem solved :-k
Hi Lolo,

Hope you and Scott had a nice Christmas!

This was a 'needs must' situation - the bike is undergoing a winter overhaul and yesterday I was setting the valves and changing the plugs. Every time I have done this I kept saying to myself I must get a proper tool to torque up these plugs!

I was playing around with my socket sets plug sockets to see what fitted and what might be adapted but kept coming back to the plug box spanner as being the best for the job mainly because of the deep cavity and debris problem. You don't want to get a socket jammed down the plug hole!!! :shock:

Standing at my workbench pondering the box spanner and thinking of welding a nut on the end came one of those moments of enlightment I so rarely have these days so I thought I would pass it on. :lol:

Regards,
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

baldylocks
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby baldylocks » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:18 pm

First time I replaced my plugs on my 1996 R1100RT I was stumped for a plug spanner, bought bike without tools,so I turned to my old kawasaki tools lucky for me the long plug spanner worked a treat.

Return to “Tricks 'n' Tips..”