BMW fuel tank badges

Got some useful tips for doing a tricky job or know of a cheap alternate part? This is the place to list them.

Moderator: Moderators

John F
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

BMW fuel tank badges

Postby John F » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:20 pm

What is the best way to stick new BMW tank badges in place to avoid cock-ups and misalignment.
I mean, once they're stuck, they're stuck! 8-[
Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks

oppy
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Re: BMW fuel tank badges

Postby oppy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:23 pm

Although not a tank badge on a beemer, I used an araldite type 2 part adhesive, spread thinly and masked the surrounding area to avoid drips and runs. Well before the suggested waiting time I placed the badge, secured it with masking tape and left it for a day or two. By placing it before the glue had reached the extreme grabby stage I was able to position it wonderfully, it took balls, but I was much younger then. This is possibly wasting tour time, but it just may be a way out of your predicament seeing as there have been no other suggestions
Pacific blue 2001 R11550RS
If a hammer wont fix it, it's electrical

Bill Smithson
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby Bill Smithson » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:51 am

What is the best way to stick new BMW tank badges in place to avoid cock-ups and misalignment.
I mean, once they're stuck, they're stuck! 8-[
Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks
Aren't the new badges supplied with a double sided sticky tape ?
The K75s logo badge I have has the tape already on. Just peel the backing off the badge and press in place.

kent_instructor10
Forum User
Country of Residence: Kent, UK

Postby kent_instructor10 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:44 am

The ones i have used were self adhesive.
I used masking tape either side of where the badge will be fitted to create a guide to line up the centre line between the blue and white quarters.
I rehearsed it a couple of times before removing the adhesive backing paper.
When i was happy i then removed the backing paper, held badge between left forefinger and thumb and "offered it up" into position but so it wasn't quite touching the painted surface. When i was happy with position i pressed the middle of the badge with right forefinger gently, rechecked position and then pressed fully home all around from center outwards.
Maybe have a spare badge just in case!
HTH

Return to “Tricks 'n' Tips..”