Oilhead and K series Warning Hi Flo filters

Got some useful tips for doing a tricky job or know of a cheap alternate part? This is the place to list them.

Moderator: Moderators

Jaythro
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: Norn Iron

Oilhead and K series Warning Hi Flo filters

Postby Jaythro » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:42 pm

These are advertised as suitable replacements for K and R (4 valve) series replacement oil filters, Don't Scrimp and Do NOT use them see picture for visual proof

I have had three friends bikes come to me in the last year for a tune up all of them came out of England / Scotland and they all had a "Hi Flo" oil filter fitted. They would seem to be of Asian origins and whilst probably "filtering" correctly the flats for the oil filter tool to grab are not as prominent as the O.E. manufacturer filters I have and when they are over tightened you get this

That was what I had to do to get the filter off, IO tried huge waterpump plyers and strap wrenches and Mahle filter tools and they all all failed (mainly couldn't get a grip) So I went for the big screwdriver carefully punched through!
Nope Still Didn't work so I came up with the insert metal and weld it so I can grab it with stiltsens This Post

So please Folks Don't use SMOOTH oil filters they could cost you an Absolute fortune to sort out This was only my bike when it arrived with me, I had to take off the sumps of the 2 K's and I was lucky the big screwdriver worked on the other R series
Last edited by Jaythro on Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

Islandmagee in case you're interested?

boxerman
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: UK

Postby boxerman » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:35 am

Just have to add one comment here...

I've removed one or two of these and they do actually have the flats for the tool and aren't completely smooth - sorry, Jay.

That said, I know who supplies them + other pattern filters that are sent out as 'Original Equipment' - it does sometimes amaze me that some of these pattern items are sent out as 'Original Equipment' and I have to expressly order a specific make when ordering..... I'm also amazed that no-one has apparently talked to Trading Standards when recieving pattern parts as original. Be wary out there.
Phil Hawksley 'The Boxer Man' - aka 'Dangermouse'
Member #1 Much modified R80G/S - a REAL one
Why not join the BM Riders Club @ http://www.bmridersclub.com
http://www.boxerman.co.uk
http://www.bmbikes.co.uk
https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos

Jaythro
Site Admin/Club Member

Postby Jaythro » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:05 am

I've removed one or two of these and they do actually have the flats for the tool and aren't completely smooth - sorry, Jay.
I've edited my original post the ones that I have seen seemed to have designer embellishments rather than functional flats and for all functional purposes once I had slipped the filter tool onto the filter and tried to twist the buggers off they were smooth? :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:04 pm

I've edited my original post the ones that I have seen seemed to have designer embellishments rather than functional flats and for all functional purposes once I had slipped the filter tool onto the filter and tried to twist the buggers off they were smooth? :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
I understand the issue. Although not on my Beemer, A filter which was on my ZX9 when I bought it was a cheap aftermarket generic brand and the same removal method was needed. Although I still think part of this was the butcher Mechanic who may have overtightened it when fitting it!

:smile:

Jaythro
Site Admin/Club Member

Postby Jaythro » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:43 pm

Although I still think part of this was the butcher Mechanic who may have overtightened it when fitting it!
What a delicate fine line to walk! Too tight and it's a Bugga to get off and too loose it falls Off?? Did ya ever try to get 11 nm on something that has a rubba gasket???? :grin: :grin: :grin:

steptoe

Postby steptoe » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:37 pm

Filter stuck ?? Tool not gripping and rounding off ??

Put a strip of wet and dry around the inside of the filter tool. Hit it onto the filter. Undo as normal.

=D>

Pete Rihoy

Postby Pete Rihoy » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:41 am

Filter stuck ?? Tool not gripping and rounding off ??

Put a strip of wet and dry around the inside of the filter tool. Hit it onto the filter. Undo as normal.

=D>
Now, THAT I like and can see how it will work, sort of like a "grippy strap wrench" :cool:

I'll keep it in mind for all sorts of situations, I can even see it working on nuts in some sitiations (certainly worth a try before resorting to a Cold Chisel). Nice :razz:

Jaythro
Site Admin/Club Member

Postby Jaythro » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:15 am

I like that one too but would be worried about the Alloy of the filter tool splitting due to the increase in pressure? But definitely worth a try

I don't think it would have helped in this case Normally the old screwdriver tapped thru the filter takes all but the worst offenders off

Andrew

Postby Andrew » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:13 pm

The real problem is with over-tightening. I just do mine up a gentle finger tight. It is perfectly adequate. I have never had an oil filter come loose in 40 years, on a car or a bike.

Jaythro
Site Admin/Club Member

Postby Jaythro » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:24 pm

The real problem is with over-tightening.
With these Hi Flo filters the tool cannot grip the corners so you can't get it off even if it's at the correct tension

I'll stick to my Mahle filters and the tool that works, No more taking sumps off If I can help it!1

Return to “Tricks 'n' Tips..”