Curing vibrating mirrors...

Got some useful tips for doing a tricky job or know of a cheap alternate part? This is the place to list them.

Moderator: Moderators

retired

Curing vibrating mirrors...

Postby retired » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:11 am

I really like my R80RT but the mirrors were always buzzers. You could tell something was behind but not what it was. Recently I noticed that one of the glass's was loose in the housing. There is a small hole at the bottom of the mirrors so I pumped the thing full of expanding foam. The stuff that comes in a can and you spray in cracks through a small nozzle for insulation. After it cured I went for a ride to see if it stiffened up the loose glass. Darned if the vibration of the mirror was gone. Completely gone. I was amazed. So I did the other side and it cured the vibration of that one too. May work for you too...

Sofa
Forum User
Country of Residence: U.K.

Postby Sofa » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:54 pm

Good tip Retired I may have a go with my mirrors, the previous owner had put little blobs of clear silicon bath sealer in the corners but it looks awful.
While on the subject of using construction materials on motors, a friend of mine worked with a guy some years ago who's car had a blown head gasket. The car was only worth a few hundered pounds and he was buying a new one in a few months time. He took the head off, spread "no more nails" builders adhesive on the block and bolted the head down. It was still running when he replaced it months later. Not sure if he sold it or scrapped it but I do hope if someone used it they never tried to get the head off.
2003 K1200GT Hedingham HUB Sidecar. RSP Top Yoke, RT bars, ABS/Servo removed, Klicktronic. EZS subframe, trail reducing kit and rear wheel. Wheelchair rack. Previous BMWs R80RT mono, R1100GS, R80RT (added a sidecar), R100RT sidecar, K75, K100 sidecar x2, K1100 sidecar, R1150R.

IanB

Postby IanB » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:19 am

One other thing that can help with mirrors - if you tighten up the retaining nuts different amounts, you can make the mirrors vibrate at different engine speeds - so at least one is clear at all times!
Ian

Return to “Tricks 'n' Tips..”