What is the difference

Post your G Series Technical Q&A's here

Moderator: Moderators

Electrajohnt
Forum User
Country of Residence: Mow Cop, England

What is the difference

Postby Electrajohnt » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:28 pm

Between a GS and a G/S, other than the slopping line between the letters.
JohnT.

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: What is the difference

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:12 am

A question with several layers...

As far as I can tell, the G/S suffix was only used (officially anyway) on 'R' series airheads and there, at one level, it's simply a matter of age. 'G/S' up to 1985 and 'GS' 1986 on.

There is a suggestion that the difference marks the change from the monolever rear suspension to paralever in 1986 and, while this appears to work for the R100GS, it certainly doesn't work for the R65GS which retained the Monlever suspension till the end of production in 1992.

There is also a suggestion that the change in designation reflects a change in the meaning from Gelende/Strasse (Off road/On road)(excuse the lack of german characters) to Gelende Sport (off road sport)... although I've not seen anything 'official to support this.

I do wonder if it's simply that the inclusion of a forward slash character became inconvenient due to it's use as a reserved chearacter in computer file naming.

The vagaries of BMW model suffixes is well known and it's worth bearing in mind that comments of a BMW archivist when asked (in relation to another model) that the actual suffixes were used somewhat arbitrarily and not even consisitently within BMW let alone in the dealerships.

I don't know if that helps.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

Return to “G Series Technical Queries”