On my way to Southern France

Tell us about your travel and trips.....

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is for the stories of your travel and trips. Keep us all enthralled with your adventures...
germanbeemer

On my way to Southern France

Postby germanbeemer » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:27 pm

I need a few good thoughts. After years of not doing long trips I am planning a 2 or 3 week trip to the Dordogne etc. etc. where to cross though? Dover Calais is what I used to to get off the island but looking at the map crossing to Roscoff or Carn also an option. Ferry times suggest that I'll be arriving late evening if crossing to Britanny, not a good idea. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Martin

raesewell
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Re: On my way to Southern France

Postby raesewell » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:47 pm

I have crossed the Channel via various routes, the easiest by far is the tunnel, not the cheapest but certainly the easiest and quickest.

Lolo
Country of Residence: Portugal

Postby Lolo » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:57 pm

The ferry, Dover to Calais is ok if you are using it as overnight accommodation so you can spend the next day riding to your destination.

I much prefer the tunnel. It is so easy to use and there are dozens of camp-sites in Calais.

It takes me 3/4 hours to ride to the tunnel, 25 minutes and your in Calais, 10 to 30 minutes to get sorted at campsite.

So it depends what your doing the other side really and what accommodation you require.

Personally its the tunnel every time.
Living the dream :sunny:

P-K
Site Admin/Club Member

Postby P-K » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:13 am

A lot also depends where you live.
For me from County Durham to ride all the way to the tunnel is a real pain.
Hence I usually go Hull - Zeebrugge.

Once in Belgium, its just as easy to ride south into France as it is to ride east into Luxembourg and Germany
Phil,
''93 R100GSPD : '17 R9T Urban G/S : '12 R1200R
Site Administrator, Assistant Webmaster and Official Club Tweeter @BMRidersClub

raesewell
Forum User

Postby raesewell » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:46 am

According to his profile Phil he lives in Malvern.

Tincan3
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Tincan3 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:43 pm

Hi,
I tried the tunnel once and it was a pleasant experience but painful in the pocket for me with the combination, as the charge is (was then) much the same as for a car. Second time returning, the ferry, Calais-Dover, was very much cheaper and did not seem that much slower. The advantage of a ferry is that you can relax with a good meal while you travel with the odd seagull thrown in to look at or maybe someone to chat to.
Hope you have a good trip.........very envious.

yeti monster

Postby yeti monster » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:34 pm

If 't were me, I'd take a ferry to Bilbao, giving me the fantastic run across Spain, rather than the torturous ride through France. I took the ferry to St. Malo in June, and headed South from there and it was a drag. The roads in Northern Spain are entertaining and quiet.

germanbeemer

Postby germanbeemer » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:01 pm

Looks like a no no as ferry crossings not available overnight and my wife doesn't do ferries (so needs to retire with a bit of dope ...). I think it's going to be the channel tunnel and meander to the Dordogne through rural France ...

Return to “Your Travel Tales”