St Mary's Loch in the rain

Tell us about your travel and trips.....

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is for the stories of your travel and trips. Keep us all enthralled with your adventures...
Ruralman
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Scotland

St Mary's Loch in the rain

Postby Ruralman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:12 pm

Hi All,
On Wednesday this week I decided to take out my K1200rs to test out the recently abs removed braking system, of course it was the wettest day of the week so with full wet weather gear off we went.
Braking worked fine all the way, we arrived at St Mary's Loch Glen Cafe ready for lunch, I can recommend the all day breakfast!
Sitting in the Cafe I didn't feel at all wet underneath all the many layers.

Looking out of the window all I could see was driving rain! Headed off for Selkirk and the rain started to lessen and eventually it stopped raining for a few miles!

The bike was handling really well, brakes were quite responsive, enabling the avoidance of collisions with sheep between Moffat and the Glen Cafe, and the lady car driver who cut right across my side of the road at the junction on the outskirts of Selkirk.

Once onto the A68 the rain started again, after a few miles the dampness in the nether regions was occurring!
Arrived home stripped of the non waterproof gear and noticed that fleece, shirt, jeans and underpants were soaked!

I still think that the rain must get in at the neck area and when leaving the Cafe maybe I didn't fasten the neck area properly..... either that or my suit is rubbish.

Regards
Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
chairman@bmridersclub.com
----------------------------------
2006 R1200GSA
'Live to ride - ride to live'
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Galactic Greyhound

Re: St Mary's Loch in the rain

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:35 pm

Well that was a good test of the bike and the brakes!

Not the best of days for a ride-out though.

Glad the K1200 is about sorted! :smile:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

gogs01
Club Member 13

Postby gogs01 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:22 am

Great news on the brakes Keith !
As for waterproofs, I've had my share of disappointments there too. Strangely, the less I've paid, the more successful I've been with waterproofs. Counter-intuitive I know, but that's been my experience. And yes - making sure everything is done up tight helps ! 😄
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

Ruralman
Club Member 13

Postby Ruralman » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:53 am

Indeed Gordon I was using my new All in one Richa waterproof suit and it ended up as wet on the inside as outside.
Regards
Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
chairman@bmridersclub.com
----------------------------------
2006 R1200GSA
'Live to ride - ride to live'
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

CaptAirhead
Forum User

Postby CaptAirhead » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:30 pm

A couple of years ago, me and a couple of mates did the round Scotland trip over 4 days. From Hamilton up the West coast to Durness and then back down the East coast. It rained in torrents everyday and we got a good soaking. My Frank Thomas Aqua gloves lasted half a day. My boots didn't even last that long. The only thing that worked and kept me dry was a £10 rain suit I bought at the last minute from Lidl.

This is me wearing the suit at Ben Nevis by which time my hands and feet were soaked.
ImageIan at Ben Nevis by Ian Beat, on Flickr

The only down side of the suit is that you need to take your boots off to get it on. Apart from that it was superb value especially since the other guys didn't fare quite so well with their more expensive gear. The Frank Thomas textile suit I started the trip with can only be described as shower proof at best so the £10 spent at Lidl really paid off and made the trip bearable (and my underpants dry).
Probably my favourite Lidl purchase next to the Ginger Nut biscuits.
Ian.
If you don't make mistakes, then you aren't trying hard enough!

1979 BMW R80/7 (ex-Police)
2002 Yamaha Fazer 600

Return to “Your Travel Tales”