A little jaunt round Wales.

Tell us about your travel and trips.....

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is for the stories of your travel and trips. Keep us all enthralled with your adventures...
King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

A little jaunt round Wales.

Postby King Herald » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:50 pm

I woke up today, BBC said the sun was supposed to start shining later, so I jumped on the bike at 8 am and headed towards Wales. I followed the A458 to Welshpool, then trundled along to Borth. Not the most exciting place, so I took the steep, twisty road over the hills to Aberystwyth. The sun was shining a fair bit, with a few clouds to keep it cool.

Not a lot going on in Aberystwyth for me either so I rode through and crossed my path and headed north again, towards Machynlleth (sp?) intending to head back to the Midlands. Then I spied a little side road heading west towards the coast, some village called Tywyn, then I followed the small coast roads around past Fairbourne and up to Dolgellau.

I made a stop for fuel and a sandwich, and swapped my heavy waterproof riding trousers for something cooler, then I rode across to Welshpool, then Shrewsbury and back to Stafford.

8 hours in the saddle, plenty of interesting riding, 300+ miles. Traffic was pretty light, and moving fast enough to keep things interesting, most of the way anyway. My rear end still gets pretty saddle sore riding but I think I'm getting used to it... there was a time I could ride to the south of France in one hit, 960 miles in 16 hours, but that was a long, long time ago.
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

Bill Smithson
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Re: A little jaunt round Wales.

Postby Bill Smithson » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:08 am

An interesting route which I covered part of during August 2016 from the Lake District with my R25/3.
BT were closing roads roads left right and centre laying new cables which added a bit of excitement to the route.

Aladin1
Forum User

Postby Aladin1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:18 am

I have done the Machynlleth, Aberdovey, Tywyn, Dolgellau coast road many times in a car, once on a cycle but never on a motorbike. I'll put that one in the calendar for next year.
2007 R1200GS
1985 K100RT
1961 G12 Matchless

King Herald
Forum User

Postby King Herald » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:40 pm

It is a very pretty route. I like the mountains near Dolgellau, be nice to stop somewhere and take a walk to the top of one.

I might go a little further afield next time. I've been building up distances and stuff bit by bit, getting used to the roads again. It has been a couple of decades since I did any sort of proper long haul biking and it takes a bit of getting used to.

Some sort of map, satnav etc would help. Stopping to pull out my phone, with map on, every now and again is a pain. Back in the day a small scrap of paper taped to the handlebars, with major town and roads names scrawled on it, was all we needed.
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

King Herald
Forum User

Postby King Herald » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:48 pm

Last week I took the A5 towards Oswestry but turned off down the B4396 about 10 miles short of Oswestry itself, then the B4391, and took the back way to Lake Bala. That was a very nice ride. It rained most of the way, predictably, but it was still a great run. A huge low rainbow, in the mist, over a field of heather desperately required a photograph, but I had cars behind me and nowhere to pull over on a high mountain road.

I managed to miss something where the two B roads joined, and ended up on a track over a mountain top, which was quite interesting.

Come to think of it, I might do that very ride again tomorrow as the sun seems to be with us at the moment. :cool:
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

Galactic Greyhound
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:15 pm

......Some sort of map, satnav etc would help. Stopping to pull out my phone, with map on, every now and again is a pain. Back in the day a small scrap of paper taped to the handlebars, with major town and roads names scrawled on it, was all we needed

You need to mount the phone on your bars/dash with a charging lead!

I use the CoPilot App on my smartphone mounted using a 'QuadLock' cycle adapter which allows the phone to be fitted/released in a couple of seconds and also has a detachable rain cover for wet days.

There are many other mounting options available for phones.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

King Herald
Forum User

Postby King Herald » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:06 pm

I actually have a proper car sat nav, but at £200 I'm worried it might get wet, vibrate to bits, fall of, or worse. I shall browse Halfords and see what they have to offer for bracketry. Sounds like there should be something suitable.

Is it worth swapping the BMW power socket for a car type, or are the BM plugs easy enough to obtain? Or maybe just run a wire up to the clocks area.
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

Galactic Greyhound

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:54 pm

I actually have a proper car sat nav, but at £200 I'm worried it might get wet, vibrate to bits, fall of, or worse. I shall browse Halfords and see what they have to offer for bracketry. Sounds like there should be something suitable.

For my first trial of a SatNav on my R1100RT, I purchased a new re-manufactured car type TomTom One for around £50 complete with suction windscreen mounting.
I made a simple rain/sun cover for it which sufficed to keep it dry and shaded.
It worked very well apart from falling off when I hit a pothole caused, not by the suction cup detaching but the SatNav jumping off its holder, solved by a 5p coin superglued to the top and an elastic band to the stem of the mounting. Fortunately it did not fall to the ground in the mishap and I still have it.
I no longer use it because TomTom wanted £50 to update the Western Europe mapping and I went over to CoPilot with free map updates on my smartphone instead.

Halfords may be limited in the choice of mounts available - have a look online to get an idea of what is available:
e.g. RAM Mounts: https://www.ram-mount.co.uk/

Is it worth swapping the BMW power socket for a car type, or are the BM plugs easy enough to obtain? Or maybe just run a wire up to the clocks area.

I have retained the standard dash BMW Power Socket on my R1100RT for a few reasons:
1. It keeps the socket standard.
2. I carry a short 'BMW socket to Car Type Cigarette Socket Adapter' so that I can plug in my 12v Tyre Air Compressor should I get a puncture (fixed with sticky string repair kit).
3. I also carry a BMW Plug USB Power Adapter (12v to 5v) which plugs directly into the dash socket and powers my smartphone via a short cable. This keeps the smartphone always fully charged when riding. The GPS receiver function is very hard on a SatNav or Smartphone battery and will drain it very quickly, usually within a couple of hours unless the device is kept on permanent charge when on the bike.

The BMW (Hella) Plugs are very easy to obtain either from Motorworks, Motobins, James Sherlock or Ebay:
Motorworks: https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop ... 5_30_IA_80
If buying off Ebay keep an eye on the quality.
The BMW Plug/Socket centre pin is the +12v supply.
The wiring connections are usually made on the plug by screw connections.
I usually buy about three of these BMW or Hella Plugs as it can sometimes be useful to wire one to your bench Battery Charger so that the bike battery can be charged by plugging it directly into the BMW Socket [as long as the bike does NOT have a CANbus system in which case the charger is connected direct to the bike Battery].

Another thing to consider is how you are going to listen to your SatNav voice instructions. You will normally not be able to hear speaker instructions above 40mph. I use a single 'D' type earpiece which is retained by fitting over the earlobe.
This retains the earpiece in position when fitting the helmet although it will sometimes fall off when the helmet is removed.
You can get this earpiece off Ebay very cheaply (£4.00) with various size plugs and cable lengths being available.
You need to get the correct size plug to match the earpiece socket on your device.

The single earpiece speaker just presses lightly against one ear so that you can hear nearby traffic with one ear and the SatNav with the other ear [this meets the new French regulations on wearing earphones on a bike].
This I find is more comfortable than in-ear earpieces.
The earpiece is hard-wired and plugs into the SatNav/SmartPhone without using Bluetooth. This means that you can ride all day without a Bluetooth headset failing because its battery has gone flat and you don't have to remember to recharge it overnight.
If you want this system you need to ensure that the Satnav/SmartPhone has an earpiece socket.

The Oilhead power sockets are CONTINUALLY live even if the Ignition is switched Off - this can be a good thing and a bad thing.
It can be good to keep your SatNav/SmartPhone active/charging when you stop for up to an hour.
It can be bad if you forget to switch off your SatNav function when parking up overnight as the bike battery may be near flat the next day.

CAUTION: SatNavs and SmartPhones are 5v devices - never power them directly from the bike's 12v Battery - always ensure that a 12v to 5v DC Adapter is used in the Power Supply and that there is a fuse incorporated somewhere in the circuit.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

Bill Smithson
Forum User

Postby Bill Smithson » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:34 pm

Is it worth swapping the BMW power socket for a car type, or are the BM plugs easy enough to obtain?
Dual purpose plugs can be bought that will fit in a car lighter socket or the Din type plug used in BMW bikes. My Fiesta electric pump has one and also my CyclePump electric pump. Just pull off the extra collar when changing sockets.
https://bestrestproducts.com/product-ca ... -ez-gauge/
A trawl round the UK sites should get a better price than buying from the USA, paying import duty and the charge (was £8 ) levied by the Post Office for paying in the duty to HMRC.

macplaxton
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Ireland

Postby macplaxton » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:46 am

Hella plugs are easy to obtain, being common in lorries.

( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360229842138 )

Lighter socket to Hella plug is easy too such as the Hella 8KA 007 589-131 (note the six blades round the edge of the outer terminal compared to 2 on some - better fit in the sockets I find)

( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360616094683 )

Just pull off the extra collar when changing sockets.
Depends on the type. Some do need removing, some just slide back. :wink:

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/ ... -black-red
'99 R1100RT Image

King Herald
Forum User

Postby King Herald » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:26 am

Thanks for the info guys, very useful. My brother in law has a set of blue tooth earphones but he is not too impressed with them. I may try the hard wired version Ced mentions, less sophistication and head ache. I'm not too au fait with all this modern blue tooth tech.
I'll check out the ram-mount web site for hardware.

My power socket is down by my left ankle, for reasons unknown. Probably easier and more convenient in use to connect to the wiring behind the starter cover and relocate the socket up near the clocks. It has a nice little rubber cover over it, but is just 2" from my foot down there.

Any reccomendations for puncture repair kits?
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:10 pm

Hi
NO!

Well Yes! The RAC, they turned up, plugged my tyre and I was on my way in an hour.

But Ced recommends strings

On his reccomendation I bought a kit but I have never used it

If you can reach inside then mushrooms are very good but then you need to re-establish the bead

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Bill Smithson
Forum User

Postby Bill Smithson » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:53 pm

!
If you can reach inside then mushrooms are very good but then you need to re-establish the bead
George
Or the Stop & Go system puts a mushroom headed plug inside the tyre without breaking the bead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzP7O-a7Z4c
The kit I have is the pistol model , heavier but easier to use.
I heard about these in Germany years ago from a group of English long distance lorry drivers who were all on holiday together at Vine Cottage.

Galactic Greyhound

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:02 am

As George says, Sticky String is now my favourite method of puncture repair for Tubeless tyres.
You need to get the LARGE Grip Type handle on the Insertion Tool as a fair bit of force is required to be applied and the screwdriver handle type just won't hack it.
Here is an example of what is required:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Emergency-Car ... SwYvFZMu6Y

Along with this you will also need to have a 12v Air Compressor to pump up the tyre.
My favourite is the ALDI AUTO XS Analogue Air Compressor/Tyre Inflator Model 60074 which comes in a very neat, strong zipped textile case which can be stored under the rear cowl on an R1100RT.
It cost me £9.99 in 2014.
It can pump up a car tyre in 5 minutes.

To use the Air Compressor (which is fitted with a car cigarette socket plug) on the bike you will need a short adapter socket with a BMW (Hella) Plug on one end and a Car cigarette socket on the other end.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

King Herald
Forum User

Postby King Herald » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:20 am

Some interesting options guys, thanks. I think I'll go for the sticky string. Oddly enough there is no mention of the glue in the instructions in one of the photos, but it is mentioned elsewhere. I assume you simply coat the string before shoving it in.

Are these permanent repairs, would you run at 80 mph on them all day?

Is a small hand bicycle pump, 10" long, enough to inflate the tyre, or does it need something with more guts?

Now would be a good time for me to fit a top box or some side bags I guess.
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

macplaxton
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Ireland

Postby macplaxton » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:49 am

None of these are permanent repairs and will have 80km/h disclaimers, etc. (I have ignored this in the past and left Rema Tip-Top plugs** into until due a tyre change)
Is a small hand bicycle pump, 10" long, enough to inflate the tyre, or does it need something with more guts?
You can use a bicycle pump if you have all day and like the exercise. Been there, done that, got the T-shiirt.

I bought an Airman on Amazon for £19. Power plug has slide-back collar so can fit either cig lighter or Hella socket.
'99 R1100RT Image

Galactic Greyhound

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:16 pm

Some interesting options guys, thanks. I think I'll go for the sticky string. Oddly enough there is no mention of the glue in the instructions in one of the photos, but it is mentioned elsewhere. I assume you simply coat the string before shoving it in.

The glue is often not used in a Sticky String repair.
It is there for additional security like belt and braces.
You coat the Abrading tool and the Sticky String.
The Sticky String is sort of self-amalgamating and is very unlikely to come out of the hole as it balls up on the inside of the tyre when pulled back in the final action.

See this YouTube video:
https://youtu.be/0fGAV6cZXyk

I don't think that any Manufacturer will say that their puncture repair kit is a permanent repair.
The only permanent repairs I know of are the wired mushroom type patches inserted from inside the tyre and vulcanised to the tyre.

I have previously used the 'Stop 'N Go' system which is easy and quick to use.
The Manufacturer advises that this is a temporary repair and from experience I would agree with that.

I have never had a Sticky String repair fail in the life of a tyre.
Whilst I am happy to plug a normal puncture with Sticky String and leave it in for the life of the tyre, I would never do this if the tyre had a cut such as from a broken glass bottle where the tyre has been torn.
The Sticky String can usually seal such punctures especially if more than one strand is used but this should be regarded as an Emergency repair only and speed kept below 30 mph until the tyre can be replaced.

A GOOD quality motorcycle hand-pump will do the job but it will be exhausting!
Remember you need to get up to 42 psi into the tyre - a cheapo pump is unlikely to be able to achieve this.

Now would be a good time for me to fit a top box or some side bags I guess.

Certainly if you intend to do two-up touring.
For solo and perhaps two-up touring, a 50 litre dry bag is a lot cheaper and can be fitted on the rear rack or pillion seat.
ROK Straps are better than the usual rubber bungees.
For camping, you want to keep the tent bag separate from the Dry Bag. A folding camp chair is also worth carrying.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

King Herald
Forum User

Postby King Herald » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:49 pm

Excellent advice, as usual Ced. I may buy a decent dry bag, as I rarely take a passenger.

Then I can equip myself with a small electric pump too.

I've just ordered a string repair kit off that eBay link, £6.99

Next order, electric pump. :grin:
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

Galactic Greyhound

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:54 pm

Remember that both the Tyre Pump and the Puncture Outfit should really be carried on the bike at all times as you never know when a puncture might happen!

For this reason it is better to try and find a permanent space on the bike where they can be stored and EASILY got at.
You don't want to store them in the bottom of a Dry Bag which might get left at home when on a short ride or necessitating the Dry Bag to be emptied of clothes in the pouring rain!

I'm fortunate with the R1100RT in that it has a rear cowl which can keep the items dry and secure.
I'm not sure how your R1100R might fare in this respect - it's worth spending some time to get this sorted out.
Maybe the forum has some ideas. :smile:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

farmerboy
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby farmerboy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:31 pm

I used the sticky string repair recently when I picked up a nail and spotted it in a motorway service station. I was delighted that it was much easier and quicker to use than I thought and provided an immediate seal. I did inflate the tyre with some of the Holts tyre repair stuff but it did not get it to the required pressure. The air hose at the motorway services was £4 for 5 mins!!!! Yikes....
A good reason to carry a small compressor!
2006 R1200 RT
Grey

2000 Cagiva Navigator TL1000S
Red

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
Green (kept in Texas)

John

Galactic Greyhound

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:17 pm

£4 for 5 minutes! :pale:

That could give a Scotsman an apoplexy!

I'd have tried squeezing in air from balloons rather than pay that! :lol:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

Return to “Your Travel Tales”