newish to camping

Ask your questions about camping and camping equipment here

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is for you to ask your questions regarding camping and equipment etc.
moorlander999

newish to camping

Postby moorlander999 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:33 pm

well........it had to happen some time or other......yes........i went out and got myself a tent yesterday.....and a dinky little gas stove.....collapsible water carrier...pots and pans.....matress.

Had a trial run in the garden today....''10 minutes to erect tent'' it said on the instruction book.........ballcocks is what i said several times !! No way !!
It took me an hour first time...these tents have changed since the last time i went and braved the great out doors...2 wooden poles and a pair of guy ropes.....well you know what they say...pactice makes perfect !!

Next set of days off I plan to test out the kit by having a night in the garden ( very daring - but I have been used to 5 star accomodation in the very recent past ).

The next great wilderness experience will be at Cracoe in September with the ''other club'' ( or perhaps a field near to my office in the next couple of weeks )

:cheers: :cheers:

Suppards

Re: newish to camping

Postby Suppards » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:23 am

I had been planning to do the very same - get some new camping gear. It's a long time since I did my last bit of motorcycle camping so I would probably take the same gentle route back into it that you have. It would be good to hear how you get on and whether there are any pratfalls you could help me to avoid.

In my more nomadic days I used to aim to be entirely self-reliant. I would ride until I was weary and then simply camp by the side of the road (or a short distance off it) it, but I suspect that the law and local by-laws are now tighter on where you can do that and where you cannot. Do you intend to stick to proper campsites?

moorlander999

Postby moorlander999 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:09 am

i went to GO OUTDOORS in Pudsey......they have a large selection of tents and most are on display so that you can have a play in them. The sales assistant was very helpful ( he even said i didnt need the more expensive one next to the one i chose ) He asked what was the purpose of the tent. I told him it was for a motorbike trip and his response was '' most bikers get this model for the month trips to Europe'' I looked a bit daft when i told him it was for a weekend in the Dales!!

All the other bits and bobs are also on display so again, you can have a tinker. I did a bit of reading before i went and also asked a few camper colleagues at work.

The tent is a VANGO Sigma 300.....3 man.....but plenty of room for me and my gear and a bit of room to stretch out in. ( £29.99 )
The cooker is a 'HI-GEAR'' £7.50
Gas bottle - Coleman £5.50 ( quite a big one so makes the set up a bit more stable )

i was going to get a petrol fuelled cooker but they were about £140 !! so settled for a cheapie !
mattress - £6.60
water carrier - £2.99
I dont intend to camp on roadsides - will stick to recognised sites = safety , showers, water, proximity to food / beverages !!

best of luck :cheers:

ps - they had loads of the tents in stock.

Lolo
Country of Residence: Portugal

Postby Lolo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:12 pm

i went to GO OUTDOORS in Pudsey......they have a large selection of tents and most are on display so that you can have a play in them. The sales assistant was very helpful ( he even said i didnt need the more expensive one next to the one i chose ) He asked what was the purpose of the tent. I told him it was for a motorbike trip and his response was '' most bikers get this model for the month trips to Europe'' I looked a bit daft when i told him it was for a weekend in the Dales!!

All the other bits and bobs are also on display so again, you can have a tinker. I did a bit of reading before i went and also asked a few camper colleagues at work.

The tent is a VANGO Sigma 300.....3 man.....but plenty of room for me and my gear and a bit of room to stretch out in. ( £29.99 )
The cooker is a 'HI-GEAR'' £7.50
Gas bottle - Coleman £5.50 ( quite a big one so makes the set up a bit more stable )

i was going to get a petrol fuelled cooker but they were about £140 !! so settled for a cheapie !
mattress - £6.60
water carrier - £2.99
I dont intend to camp on roadsides - will stick to recognised sites = safety , showers, water, proximity to food / beverages !!

best of luck :cheers:

ps - they had loads of the tents in stock.

We have just got two of those tents after our blew away at the dalesman camp. #-o We have just tried them out at the Sonisphere rock festival and they survived so will do us fine for our camping needs. :grin: We got two instead of one big one for a couple of reasons.

1. The big tent was great for fitting all the bike gear in but took a while to put up and ran the risk of blowing away again.
2. If we are tired and its raining on our tour we will have the option of putting up one tent and squashing in or putting up one for our gear and one for us to sleep in.

They are quite roomy. We can get both tents up in less than ten minutes and we also bought the tarp that goes with them. We thought we can link the tents or cover the bikes.

Our best buy has been the bed roll. We had one of the ususal blow up ones but as we were buying new kit went for these self inflating mats. After just spending four nights on them I have to say they are really comfy and very easy to pack. They take up room of about 5" x 7" as a roll.
Living the dream :sunny:

moorlander999

Postby moorlander999 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:30 pm

lolo, what other bits and bobs do i need???

:bounce:

Lolo

Postby Lolo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:00 pm

lolo, what other bits and bobs do i need???

:bounce:
I Think every one has their own list but below is mine so far. We are hoping to just ride till we have had enough and if we find a camp site all the better otherwise as long as there is no fence apparently you can camp in most places a bit like Scotland.

( when i preview this its in lovely strain line with heading but when I submit it its just a jumple ](*,) ) but it may give you a reminder of what you think you need :-k

Kitchen Bedroom/Campsite First Aid Bathroom Wardrobe
Stove Tents Mossi & Tick repellent Travel towels Thermal underwear
Fuel Sleeping bags Plasters deodorant spare gloves
Chocolate Tarp antiseptic wipes razors Waterproof Jacket
Mugs Sleeping mats Sun cream travel clothes wash Waterproof trousers
Pan scrubber Sitting mats seat thing After sun cream toothbrush and paste spare riding trousers
Chocolate extra ground mat pain killers Toilet paper trainers / boots
cutlery Torches (wind up) antihistamine Soap sandals
Bowls travel sickness Shampoo & conditioner jeans
Washing up liquid Imodium Wet wipes Underwear
Chocolate Toilet bag Socks
Lighters Nail clippers T Shirts
tea/coffee Tweezers Shorts / skirt
Fags Girly once a month stuff Fleece
Powdered milk Comb / hair bands

Office Workshop Miscellaneous
maps Puncture repair kit Roll bags
SAT nav Duct tape Bike locks
Pen Jubilee Clips spare glasses
Language translator Allen keys Camera
Pictures book Leatherman multitool Money belt
Notebook Engine oil Plastic bags
mechanics/service book Cable ties Day pack
Passports Locktite Playing cards
Health cards Spare bike keys Tank bags
Drivers licenses Bulbs Metal stretch lock bag thing!
Vehicle registration docs Bungee cables/straps Book to read
BMW service lists and numbers Fuses Batteries AA / AAA
Photocopies of all docs Tent/mat repair kit
Credit cards?? Don’t own one!

moorlander999

Postby moorlander999 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:10 pm

ok...............but seeing as I am only going up into the dales for 2 nights..........i think i will forget the tick removers :roll: :king:

Lolo

Postby Lolo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:18 pm

ok...............but seeing as I am only going up into the dales for 2 nights..........i think i will forget the tick removers :roll: :king:

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Lol sorry thought you were off on a trek ](*,)

Mind you you will need repellant Al and Scott were bitten to death by the midges I ve never seen so many bites.

moorlander999

Postby moorlander999 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:33 pm

its ok.........i will keep my trousers on :cheers:

bmchick09

Postby bmchick09 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:33 pm

Chocolate mentioned more than once....my kind of list!!

STrider
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby STrider » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:18 pm

a decent sleeping bag and mat is an essential in my view...can't beat a decent nights sleep! I take a small folding stool as well......use to laugh at my brother in law always carrying one but tried it last week and its great to have somewhere to park your bum! Took midge repellant and even a midge net thing last week up to Scotland (Mull) but there were none about. Always suffered in past years up there!
John

F800GS

farzad
Forum User

Postby farzad » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:20 pm

Hi Lolo
Does using the word "chocolate" 3 times in your list means thats the most important item to take ? :wink:

I camped last year for the first time around France and again this year around Spain.
Here is my preferences :-
- Self inflating mattress
- Domed type tents that allows you to sit-up in the tent
- Double layer Tents with an outer layer that can be put up first. After the first night, I stopped taking the layers apart and just packed and unpacked both layers together.
- Tent with a small outer porch with ground sheet and cover
- An empty bottle with a cap to save a trip or two to the loo in the middle of the night
- If you are happy to get up and go and find breakfast en-route, then that will save taking cooking gear
- If you want to reduce the amount of clothing you need to take and are happy to wash your smalls, then take one of those little rubber sink plugs...!! (I'm not joking)
- Flip flops
2012 R1200RT SE
2007 R1200RT SE

peter
Club Member 13

Postby peter » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:57 am

there are two types of tent fabrics, cotton and nylon.

Cotton tents are more comfy, they breathe, but are heavier, can leak due to touching the stuff when wet, and when wet they soak up some moist.
When packet wet, the can and will rot.
Nylon tents are lighter, can be packet smaller, they dont take up moist and won't rot.
The problem is that in the morning it rains inside when it's dry outside...
It's moist condensating during the night on the inside of the outer tent.

So I've got cotton tents for normal camping, and a nylon iglo for biking.

To add to the list powder to make hot chocolat, very nice in cold evenings sitting at a campfire.
Peter
Used to own a 1982 R100CS, but it was destroyed by a truck.
2003 R1150R + Touratec Alu boxes + Gimbel fairing + MC Cruise Cruisecontroll

moorlander999

Postby moorlander999 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:20 pm

i have access to an unlimited supply of maxpack powder drinks and one of them includes Suchard hot chocolate - ADDED TO LIST !! :cheers:

Vince

Postby Vince » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:56 pm

What's a recomended self inflating mat can I ask?

I have a one man tent (although room for a small women as well at a push, ahem)
a sleeping bag , and these will fit in one Pannier.

I did the same last weekend, practised getting it up (tent). Not to bad, flimsy tent pegs tho.

I have a stove and utensils already, but my old roll mat was never good enough and that was when I was 15 years younger!
\v/

bikerbill

Postby bikerbill » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:07 pm

Good luck with the camping, I hope you will have room to get on the bike when it's packed with all the suggested items.

Have you thought about a suspension upgrade!!!! #-o

Mike

Clive James
Forum User

Postby Clive James » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:23 pm

Self in flating matress are just like an inflateable ones but have memory foam inside, can be rolled up & come in various thickness. Take out of bag, open valve at end & throw onto floor, leave a while & then close valve or add a bit of puff if further inflation required. Good ones are not exactly cheap but as Lolo stated it is worth getting & I have found thicker the better as I'm getting a little old in the bones for sleeping on the ground :-({|= .

Clive.

Vince

Postby Vince » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:54 pm

How small do they compact to?

Lolo

Postby Lolo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:29 pm

How small do they compact to?
We have just got self inflating mats and tried them over the weekend ready for our adventure they are great. We got them from go out doors and they role up to about 5" by 6". The great thing is you can chuck them in the tent while you continue to peg it down and they just inflate themselves. Really comfy too.

We only take a small fuel stove so we can start the day in style Coffee for Pirate Tea fags and of course chocolate :grin: ready for the world then or brunch when we find somewhere :smile:

Our list looks really big but most of it is tiny stuff and between two bikes we can fit all but the tents in our panniers :smile:

STrider
Forum User

Postby STrider » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:44 pm

When I started out camping 4 years ago, apart from the sleeping bag I bought cheap stuff in case I decided camping wasn't for me. The first thing that got junked was the stove and a more stable one bought then the sleeping mat! I do like a decent nights sleep!! Ended up buying a Therm-a-rest Trail Pro self inflating mattress....not cheap, blimey, the most expensive thing apart from the sleeping bag but it is so much better. I did end up replacing my Vango Delta 200 (£35) with a Vaude Taurus 2 which is lighter, packs smaller and goes up in half the time....but if I were honest with myself, the cheap tent was pretty good! Some decent tent pegs are a must......the original ones with the Vango were angled steel and each one bent. The Vaude came with alloy pegs and they are much tougher and not expensive to buy.

One tip Farzad........mark that bottle clearly!!!!!
John

F800GS

boxerman
Site Admin/Club Member

Postby boxerman » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:07 pm

Sheesh.... I know Round the World travellers who take less than this lot..... :lol:

Tent, air mat, sleeping bag, torch, mug, stove, kettle and coffee......
Phil Hawksley 'The Boxer Man' - aka 'Dangermouse'
Member #1 Much modified R80G/S - a REAL one
Why not join the BM Riders Club @ http://www.bmridersclub.com
http://www.boxerman.co.uk
http://www.bmbikes.co.uk
https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos

Mike D
Forum User

Postby Mike D » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:29 pm

Phil,

You missed out the Jamesons :drunken:

Lolo

Postby Lolo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:36 pm

True if I had no time limits and no destination and was off around the world I wouldn't take half the things on my list.

But as its a holiday with limited time and not to sure where we will be I dont fancy trying to find a shop to buy anything and struggle with the language or spent beer money.

In fact I hate shopping at the best of times so dont really want to be anywhere near one !! I want to enjoy the scenery in relative comfort ( for a bike trip camping) :smile:

I need my chocolate supply :oops: apparently chocolate is discusting in Europe and I wont survive without my morning tea and fag 8-[

peter
Club Member 13

Postby peter » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:31 pm

What about discusting chocolate?
I like the Belgian "pralines" and dark chocolat with haselnuts...
The best hot chocolat is from the coffe-machines, the best to dink cold is Chocomel.
Peter
Used to own a 1982 R100CS, but it was destroyed by a truck.
2003 R1150R + Touratec Alu boxes + Gimbel fairing + MC Cruise Cruisecontroll

Lolo

Postby Lolo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:57 pm

What about discusting chocolate?
I like the Belgian "pralines" and dark chocolat with haselnuts...
The best hot chocolat is from the coffe-machines, the best to dink cold is Chocomel.
Mmmm Belgian chocolate :smile:

Just hope I can get Belgian chocolate in Latvia Lithuania Estonia :-k

Return to “Camping Tips & Queries”