newish to camping

Ask your questions about camping and camping equipment here

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is for you to ask your questions regarding camping and equipment etc.
Tincan3
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: newish to camping

Postby Tincan3 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:17 pm

Gas stove DANGER !
Now I guess all you guys and girls are sensible types but just in case you forget - DO NOT try to change your gas cylinder by the light of a candle (or other naked flame). I was on a campsite in Rotterdam some years ago when a biking couple, an Irish lad and his girl, did just that and were lucky to rescue their passports. Their tent was burned to the ground and they were badly enough burned to look like the invisible man and his missus the next day in hospital. Trouble was their parents did not know they were camping so they were due to be in more hot bother when their folks got to hear. Always make sure there is an escape route from the tent if you are cooking inside. Some modern artificial fibre tents can burn up in seconds.

STrider
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby STrider » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:59 am

The moral of the story there is NOT to cook inside your tent! Never mind the risk of fire but there is carbon monoxide to consider as well. I had an incident last year camping in Scotland..... set up my new not exactly cheap camping stove and left it boiling a kettle ...about a meter away from the tent, as I unloaded my bike. turned round and there was a huge sheet of flame...just missed the tent. Turned out the preheating coil joint was fractured and the remote cylinder was pumping out gas! Luckily it was a remote cylinder and I could turn it off. the whole base of the stove had melted. I've now got a solidly engineered Primus with no plastic bits and good screwed unions rather than soldered/brazed joints.
John

F800GS

peter
Club Member 13

Postby peter » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:48 am

I'm using a "peak one" from coleman, it uses unleaded fuel. the extra 0.75liter of fuel, for refueling the stove, serves also as extra backup in case the bike runs out.
Peter
Used to own a 1982 R100CS, but it was destroyed by a truck.
2003 R1150R + Touratec Alu boxes + Gimbel fairing + MC Cruise Cruisecontroll

STrider
Forum User

Postby STrider » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:47 pm

Perhaps we should start a Camping and Touring Section in the Forum? Be great being able to have details of recommended tents, bags, stoves etc!
John

F800GS

moorlander999

Postby moorlander999 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:05 pm

SOUNDS GOOD.

John King

Postby John King » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:49 am

I went back to camping about 3 years ago and there are pro's and con's. yes it is convenient but now not so cheap as it was. Yes you can take all you need in your panniers and on the luggage rack but then you always find you have left something behind.

What I DON'T like is packing up the tent after listening to the rain pelting down overnight. You always get wet and there is no where to store your riding gear whilst you are packing it away.

When I went back to camping over on the Continent, the charges were around the 8-10 Euros a night mark. They are approx 2/3rds more now. Throw in an evening meal and possibly breakfast and you can be looking at 40-45 Euro's a night. You can get a decent B&B and add an evening meal into the price for about 50 Euros for a lot more comfort and in the dry as well.

I will still keep camping for club events but when travelling abroad I will sleep under stone and slate.

Rugbycoach
Country of Residence: Yorkshire

Postby Rugbycoach » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:13 pm

Perhaps we should start a Camping and Touring Section in the Forum? Be great being able to have details of recommended tents, bags, stoves etc!
Agree John, I have just bought the Khyame Biker tent £119 on line and Trangia cooking stove (meths)
Tent easy to erect even in the wet 5 mins to water tight! buy the footprint to go with it makes pitching easier.
very impressed first time out.
Looking out for a good sleeping mat now. Exped Synmat7 looking good, packs small for the bike.
Colin
R1200GSA

Pirate
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby Pirate » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:02 pm

Prior to this year European tour (round the Baltic sea) Lolo and I purchased a tarpaulin (sold by go outdoors as a “family shelter”). This proved to be an invaluable addition to our kit.

When setting up camp we erected the “shelter” first. This provided protection from the elements (sun or rain) and then we set up the tent under the shelter. This provided an opportunity to put up a drying line under the “tarp” and allowed us to dry riding kit (even in the rain), The shelter also kept the tent dry so it was always put away dry (on several occasions this was tested to the limit!!) the shelter was the last thing we packed when “breaking camp” so also provided shelter whilst packing panniers etc. It didn’t matter if the shelter was packed away wet as this was stored in the open on the back of my bike and often dried during the days travel (but even if it didn’t it still performed admirably!)

We also purchased two Higear “self inflating” sleeping mats. Again from go outdoors and again I was pleasantly surprised over two weeks of use and they proved to be comfortable, warm, and easy to pack!

I have always used a Trangia spirit stove (works in any weather and is efficient!) it has never let me down, but we did run out of fuel and found it difficult to locate more (probably says more about my pathetic ability with languages) so we are now investigating the possibility of a stove that will run on the bike fuel.
AAARRGGHHH!!!!

ImageImage

Clive James
Forum User

Postby Clive James » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:05 am

Pirate

I am using the Coleman dual fuel stove which performs well for me, if your at the tail end you are more than welcome to check mine out & give it a try.

Clive

STrider
Forum User

Postby STrider » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:40 am

Congratulations Colin...you have joined the band of nomadic travellers at last!!! There is something about riding about with your "house" on the back of your bike...bit like a snail I guess!

I've gone through a couple of cheap sleeping mats...... both ended up being too thin for me and very slippery so most of the night was spent fighting to stay on them! In the end I bought a Thermarest Prolite and now get a decent nights sleep.

I nearly bought the Kyam Biker tent..it got a good write up in a couple of mags but ended up with another recommendation a Vaude Taurus which packs small and light and is very quick to erect. I have to beat my brother-in-law when it comes to erecting tents and getting the brew on!! Recently I picked up a half price Vango Halo 300 at a tent show which has a bit more room for g/f and dog!

The other thing I discovered......the joy of a stool ( the 3 legged type!) after laughing at my mates with their camp chairs and sitting on a GS box I bought a light weight stool for my scottish trip and it was great to have somewhere to park my bum.
John

F800GS

moorlander999

Postby moorlander999 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:22 pm

I have had to replace my Vango 300 sigma twice now.....both leaked and the stitching came loose on the second after only 2 nights use !!

Straight back to ''go-outdoor''s......not willing to order another one in from one of their other stores ( not company policy ) and would either give me a credit note or refund.....so I pushed a bit and got a Hi-Gear 3 man ( with larger storm porch area ) for the same price as the vango,,,,,,and got a £5 refund due to reasons beyond me !!

Hi gear is made by Gelert......have used their equipment in the past without any problems so it should be ok.....

Not had chance to use it yet.....unwrapped in front room....all apears ok. This time I think I will put it up in the garden for a few days to weather it etc, although its very windy here at the moment so may have to wait a few days :cheers:

Rugbycoach
Country of Residence: Yorkshire

Postby Rugbycoach » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:30 pm

some tent manufactures recommend sealing the seams on some models before using in the rain. If they do not use taped seams. They usually supply a tube of sealant.
Colin
R1200GSA

Baldyonekenobi

Postby Baldyonekenobi » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:35 pm

......the joy of a stool

Ah yes. The joy of a good stool.

STrider
Forum User

Postby STrider » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:37 pm

Well I sat out under the Halo in a half hour thunderstorm after it had been on display outside for 2 weeks in a mix of sunny and wet days and checked it over very well for seams etc. before buying it..all taped ripstop nylon unlike my old cheaper Vango and todate its been great.
John

F800GS

Lolo
Country of Residence: Portugal

Postby Lolo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:15 pm

......the joy of a stool

Ah yes. The joy of a good stool.
LMAO........ on a bid to raise the tone back up

I used my panniers as my stool and table :smile:
Panniers seat and table.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Living the dream :sunny:

Pirate
Forum User

Postby Pirate » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:14 pm

Pirate

I am using the Coleman dual fuel stove which performs well for me, if your at the tail end you are more than welcome to check mine out & give it a try.

Clive
That would be fantastic :cheers: :bounce: :cheers: cheers Clive! See you at the weekend! :lol:
AAARRGGHHH!!!!

ImageImage

jtreg
Forum User

Postby jtreg » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:50 pm

what about one of those little oval plastic discs to put under your side stand on soft ground?
2010 GS Adventure 30th Anniversary Edition
1995 R1100RS (still in the family now owned by my son)
1983 R80RTIC

Pirate
Forum User

Postby Pirate » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:12 pm

what about one of those little oval plastic discs to put under your side stand on soft ground?

better still! i got one of these for Christmas :lol: :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AAARRGGHHH!!!!

ImageImage

Return to “Camping Tips & Queries”