Camp Cooking

Ask your questions about camping and camping equipment here

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is for you to ask your questions regarding camping and equipment etc.
Joe 90 (retired)

Camp Cooking

Postby Joe 90 (retired) » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:00 pm

It's a long time since I have done any camping, but in the last century I used to drive a wagon for a certain Edd*e Stob*rt. Now evening meals often consisted of the following, tinned meat curried or otherwise and boil in the bag rice. The cooking method was as following, place a pan of water on your burner and cook rice as per instructions (I used less water but so long as the bag was covered it worked fine) place a bowl over the pan (I just used a ordinary ceramic one) and empty the tin into it you may need to cover this if cooking outside, the steam from the boiling water will heat the meat in the time it takes the rice to cook. Then remove the bowl with care as it will be hot tip rice into bowl and scoff, use the hot water from the pan to clean the bowl and fork or spoon or spork! This is not gourmet food :pukeright: but it doesn't require refrigeration only one burner and is easy clean. Finally dispose of your waste in a responsible manner after all your a BMW owner and are therefore probably old enough to know better [-X

Galactic Greyhound
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: Camp Cooking

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:15 am

Thanks for that tip Dave! =D>

I might just try it at the Haggs Bank weekend! :grin:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

Lolo
Country of Residence: Portugal

Postby Lolo » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:53 am

I love camp food. Pirate is an excellent cook and cooks with fresh ingredients rather than packets. He only uses one burner but cooks meatballs with gravy and mash, full English, pasta with own sauce, fish and veg along with some lovely salads. If I was left to cook it would be do you want a bag of crisps with your chocolate bar :grin:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

boxerman
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: UK

Postby boxerman » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:26 am

I'll vouch for Scott's camp cooking too having shared a gourmet meal or two...
Phil Hawksley 'The Boxer Man' - aka 'Dangermouse'
Member #1 Much modified R80G/S - a REAL one
Why not join the BM Riders Club @ http://www.bmridersclub.com
http://www.boxerman.co.uk
http://www.bmbikes.co.uk
https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos

mw3230
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby mw3230 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:58 pm

When my sons were in the Scouts and away camping the group leader would, on the last evening before home, concoct a dish known as camp stew. Quite simply everything that was left in the 'larder' went into the pan - baked beans, tinned hamburgers, tinned veg, tinned hot dog sausages, tinned stew and dumplings plus any fresh vegetables left over indeed anything other than the tinned peaches (which was pudding). Let me tell you that with a big pile of crusty bread and a mug of tea it was delicious - especially after hiking all day
Formerly 2013 K1600GTSE, now 2017 GSA

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:53 pm

Ah yes, All Hail the All in Stew . You can keep it going for days just adding ingredients as you go. Kept me going whilst in the woods on many a miserable night.

Sofa
Forum User
Country of Residence: U.K.

Postby Sofa » Fri May 01, 2015 2:30 am

My favourite is boily breakfast. Serves two.
Boil dixie of water. Make tea, Boil second dixie of water with a Mattessons Smoked Pork Sausage or similar (U shaped in a bag) along with 2 eggs. Peel shells from eggs and cut sausage in half, put one egg and half a sausage in about 10" of French stick each, add sauce to taste. Pour the "plastic tasting water" into a flask and boil the dixie again. Finish eating, clean knife and cups with "plastic tasting water" use freshly boiled water to make tea in flask for later. Minimal washing up, can be left to simmer while sorting out your kit etc, enough sustenance to paddle a canoe 20 miles without need for eating again if you have to (rarely did though). Especially rewarding to wander around a campsite with this giant hot dog/egg combo and chat to folk piddling around trying to cook bacon and eggs, wash up messy pans or sitting with their tupperware bowl of muesli and UHT milk while telling them you'll be ready to go in about 5 minutes. Only ever eat them when camping so they stay special. Sidecar Rally this weekend and two in the fridge since Tuesday. looking forward to that taste on Saturday morning.
2003 K1200GT Hedingham HUB Sidecar. RSP Top Yoke, RT bars, ABS/Servo removed, Klicktronic. EZS subframe, trail reducing kit and rear wheel. Wheelchair rack. Previous BMWs R80RT mono, R1100GS, R80RT (added a sidecar), R100RT sidecar, K75, K100 sidecar x2, K1100 sidecar, R1150R.

Return to “Camping Tips & Queries”