Stay horizontal!

https://stevedoyle.smugmug.com/organize/R100RS/R100RS
ImageImage

DEEP DIVER
Forum User
Country of Residence: ENGLAND

Re: BMW's own bobber?

Postby DEEP DIVER » Sun May 24, 2015 4:49 pm

More a Bagger than a Bobber. Style is like the Victory Cross Country. I like it.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Blue belt in Serious tea drinking.

Barry the old goat!!!!
1985 R80ST being rebuilt #-o
1985 R80RT Touring dream :smile:
2 Harley sportsters being rebuilt #-o
And a VW trike so I don't fall off :shock:

Sofa
Forum User
Country of Residence: U.K.

Postby Sofa » Sun May 24, 2015 7:30 pm

I would seriously look at one as a sidecar bike.
Currently nothing available new interests, or would suit, me. Victory bikes, belt drive an issue for me. Harley just piles of poo. Very excited when I saw a Paneuropean engined Honda CTX1300 "bagger" but they've de-tuned it from around 120 to 88 bhp. Rocket 3 just too, too big. Other big tourers such as K1600LT, Kwak, Yam, Suzuki are too tall as I have to lift the wheelchair over the bike to strap it into the sidecar. One of these with reverse would be just the ticket.
2003 K1200GT Hedingham HUB Sidecar. RSP Top Yoke, RT bars, ABS/Servo removed, Klicktronic. EZS subframe, trail reducing kit and rear wheel. Wheelchair rack. Previous BMWs R80RT mono, R1100GS, R80RT (added a sidecar), R100RT sidecar, K75, K100 sidecar x2, K1100 sidecar, R1150R.

DEEP DIVER
Forum User

Postby DEEP DIVER » Mon May 25, 2015 9:57 am

I would seriously look at one as a sidecar bike. Victory bikes, belt drive an issue for me. Harley just piles of poo.
Check on the drive belts on Victory's as they are meant to be quick to change with out removing the swinging arm unlike the Harleys.

Barry the old goat!!!!

Sofa
Forum User

Postby Sofa » Mon May 25, 2015 11:27 am

Belt drive seems only a little better than chain. No one would consider buying a car if you had to replace the final drive system at regular intervals so why put up with it on a motorcycle. Victory does interest me as they do have a reverse on the Visions and although I don't actually like the Vision's styling it does occur to me that they all have the same engine and transmission so in theory one could be fitted to a Victory I do like (Judge). But as changing a belt myself these days is not practical I would be then stuck, probably, with a Victory dealer unwilling or unable to work on my bike because of the sidecar. Certainly my local BMW dealer didn't want to know about fixing the gear indicator on my K1100 outfit, saying their motorcycle ramps weren't suitable. Strange as when dealing with the local independent BMW man who used to be their Workshop Manager he said he would have done it when he was there, by using the car lifts in the car workshop of the joint dealership.
2003 K1200GT Hedingham HUB Sidecar. RSP Top Yoke, RT bars, ABS/Servo removed, Klicktronic. EZS subframe, trail reducing kit and rear wheel. Wheelchair rack. Previous BMWs R80RT mono, R1100GS, R80RT (added a sidecar), R100RT sidecar, K75, K100 sidecar x2, K1100 sidecar, R1150R.

DEEP DIVER
Forum User

Postby DEEP DIVER » Mon May 25, 2015 11:37 am

On the Harley forums some members are still using the factory fitted drive belts at 60k. Changed mine at 26k (1200 sportster) and it was as good as new, so keep it as a spare. And yet a friend in Norfolk has a work one engine ( high lift cams, higher comp etc) and he goes through belts every few months.
But he does track days all year on his bike.

Barry the old goat!!!!

Sofa
Forum User

Postby Sofa » Mon May 25, 2015 12:21 pm

Extra weight of sidecar and kit also a possible issue where belts are concerned, having one fail out on the road isn't good either, already been stranded once with the wheelchair, luckily in a big off road lay by. I can't just jump off if the bike stops moving. If I have enough room at the off side of the bike, then lean over, remove straps holding wheelchair to sidecar. Get off bike and lean against it, reach over seat, pick up wheelchair, lift over bike place in area of o/s pannier, fold backrest up, fit side plates, twist back round so I am facing forward, left hand on bike seat right hand on wheelchair, lower self into chair, release wheelchair brakes and move away. Takes at least two minutes, don't fancy it in the outside lane. If there isn't at least three feet clearance at the off side of the bike then I can't even get off.

Return to “Choppers, Bobbers, Trikes & other strange types Q&A's”