GSA 1200 2015 keyless start bike issues

Post your Hexhead (watercooled) technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

mpsfpaiva
Forum User
Country of Residence: Portugal

GSA 1200 2015 keyless start bike issues

Postby mpsfpaiva » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:32 pm

Hi guys I bought a GSA 1200 2015 receive the bike and when I try to start the bike was not possible initially the error was KEYLO, I’ve changed the key battery the error disappears but the bike doesn’t start. Even with emergency key I can not start the bike. I thought the bike battery was flat, changed the battery but have the same problem, when I push the start button just hear a click and the bike doesn’t start. Any idea what is it and how can I solve it? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Galactic Greyhound
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: GSA 1200 2015 keyless start bike issues

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:56 pm

That was a quick re-post! :lol:

Try and avoid using the term 'the bike doesn't start' - instead say; 'the bike does not crank over' or 'the bike cranks over but does not fire up'.

Here are a couple of thoughts while you wait for a response from the R1200 HexHead guys.

1. Check your User Manual regarding the procedure for changing the key battery in case there is an issue there.

2. Assuming the bike does not crank over:

That 'click' you are hearing is likely from the Starter Relay or the Starter Motor Solenoid.

You can check if the Starter Relay is operating and sending out +12v to the Starter Motor Solenoid as follows:

a. First put the bike on the Mainstand and in Neutral.
When the Starter Relay operates, it sends +12v on relay terminal 30 (6) which has a thin Black wire connected to it.

b. This thin Black wire goes to the Starter Motor Solenoid (on top of the Starter Motor) terminal 50 which is a male spade terminal. The Black wire is terminated in a female spade terminal.

c. Disconnect the thin Black wire from the Solenoid terminal 50. Connect a Voltmeter or Test Lamp set to read 12v DC between the Black wire female spade terminal (+) and a good earth (engine casing or Bat Negative terminal).

d. Switch the Ignition ON.
Observe the Voltmeter or Test Lamp while operating the Starter Button - the Voltmeter should read +12v or the Test Lamp light when the Starter Button is pressed (listen for the Starter Relay operating click).

e. If you see the +12v on the thin Black wire then the Starter Relay is functioning normally and the problem may be with the Starter Solenoid or the Starter Motor.

f. Switch the Ignition OFF.
TAP (do not permanently connect) +12v onto the Starter Motor Solenoid terminal 50 male spade terminal - the Solenoid should operate and the Starter Motor should crank over the engine (listen for the Solenoid operating).

Questions:
Do you have any electrical or mechanical experience?
Do you have any tools?
Do you have a Haynes or a Clymer Manual for the bike?

Let us know how it goes.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

P-K
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: England

Postby P-K » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:27 am

Moved to here from "G" series bikes.
Phil,
''93 R100GSPD : '17 R9T Urban G/S : '12 R1200R
Site Administrator, Assistant Webmaster and Official Club Tweeter @BMRidersClub

Lolo
Country of Residence: Portugal

Postby Lolo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi guys I bought a GSA 1200 2015 receive the bike and when I try to start the bike was not possible initially the error was KEYLO, I’ve changed the key battery the error disappears but the bike doesn’t start. Even with emergency key I can not start the bike. I thought the bike battery was flat, changed the battery but have the same problem, when I push the start button just hear a click and the bike doesn’t start. Any idea what is it and how can I solve it? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Você encontrou o site, então eu disse que você teria muita ajuda (You found the site then I said you would get lots of help) :grin: :grin: :grin:
Living the dream :sunny:

Return to “Hexhead (Watercooled R1200) Q&A's”