R1200ST screen

Post your 'Hexhead' technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Nick7
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

R1200ST screen

Postby Nick7 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:23 pm

I have ordered a Vstream screen from Ztechnik...probably should have asked for opinions first, but does anyone have experience of them? The shop site says that mirror moving plates, which they sell, are needed but i thought i' d see how it works before getting those. I assume the mirror stems contactvthe screen as standard?
Thanks in advance.....btw the idea is to get more protection as am 6 2....I do already have a replacement screen but it doesnt make much difference, and it is troublesome stopping the screen sinking to its lower height setting..have tried jamming foam block in but that only works tempoarily!

Nick7
Forum User

Re: R1200ST screen

Postby Nick7 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:36 am

Well, it works well looks funky and really i can do without extending the mirror mounts. ST a superb bike, especially wearing Wilburs shocks. Great 80 mile spin around Kent with Wife on Sunday..though i keep forgetting to charge my helmet for the intercomm..annoying.Away to France next month...hope this bike keeps going, the cost of a new RS is ridiculous...do they sell any??

gogs01
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby gogs01 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:08 am

..... the cost of a new RS is ridiculous...do they sell any??
Well, it's all relative !
A new top spec GS Adventure or RT will cost close to £20,000. Against that, a new RS starting at £12,100 begins to look like a bit of a bargain !! :grin:
And, of course, more GSs than RTs are sold, and more RTs than RSs.
The adventure bike market is huge and the GS is market leader there. The big tourer market is much smaller but the RT leads the way there. The sport touring sector is less well defined these days and the RS has a lot more competition, depending on personal preference.
I'm sure the latest RS is a fine machine and it sells, but I'm not sure it sells as many as BMW would like.
Club member #480 (membership up to date !)
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

Nick7
Forum User

Postby Nick7 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:29 pm

People paying that for a GS or RYs need their heads seeing to...HGVs!!

Nick7
Forum User

Postby Nick7 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:06 am

Well of course they are amazing bikes..people wouldnt buy them otherwise...just not my cup of tea.😁

gogs01
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby gogs01 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:33 am

Well of course they are amazing bikes..people wouldnt buy them otherwise...just not my cup of tea.😁
I can understand these bikes not being your cup of tea - there are lots of bikes which aren't my cup of tea too.

The only thing I would ask is - have you ridden them ? I don't like the height or "style" of the GS, but I had one for a day as a loan bike (it was one of the new 1250 models) and it was a terrific bike to ride. As for my RT, it really is a great bike for long tours - much better than making do on a sport touring, sports or naked bike, all of which will do the job. The electronic suspension, electric screen, cruise control, central locking etc etc just make things so much easier when travelling. And, when tackling roads such as the Vrsic pass, the Col Du Mont Cenis or the Stelvio pass, it is surprisingly capable. I'm not going to keep up with a guy in one piece leathers on a sports bike, but I do have great fun and it's not slow. The RT (and probably the GS too) is also remarkably economical for such a big, powerful and heavy bike - I get over 60 mpg if I avoid most motorways.

Hope you like your ST as much as I like my RT ! :grin:
Club member #480 (membership up to date !)
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

Nick7
Forum User

Postby Nick7 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:38 pm

From what you say, best not try one...or I will be looking to splash 20k before I know it. Its horses for courses...I think weight is the enemy and they are porky. Try a ktm 690 and you will want one...though not for hours in the saddle! I actually traded onecfor the ST, when pre test ride I would never have thought a beemer boxer was for me! Tries lots of alternatives vfr1200, pans etc..none as good. The ST is also fab around tge Austrian and Swiss roads....though Northern Spain 2 weeks 2 up was the most enjoyable.

Return to “Hexhead (R1200) Q&A's”