R NINE T rear wheel bolts

Post your 'Hexhead' technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

andys
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

R NINE T rear wheel bolts

Postby andys » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:17 pm

These are torx nuts and I managed to chew mine up quite a bit when I was removing the wheel for a new tyre.
I've just ordered five new one's (James Sherlock are still operating as normal) but I don't want to damage them again while refitting so what am I doing wrong.
I'm using the correct torx bit and was very careful when removing them.
I'm pretty sure all the hex heads use these bolts so any tips gratefully received

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Re: R NINE T rear wheel bolts

Postby milleplod » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:16 pm

If a Torx-head gets chewed, it's usually because the Torx bit hasn't been seated properly in the head.....although they usually feel as if they are! Clean the hole out first with brake cleaner or similar as it's surprising how much crap builds up in there, and then try lightly tapping the bit into the bolt head before undoing it.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:58 pm

Thanks
It doesn't help having to use an extension bar on the socket wrench.
Really difficult to keep it straight and steady.
I hate to be that workman who blames his tools but I really think Torx bolts are not suitable for this application.

raesewell
Forum User

Postby raesewell » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:34 am

A decent set of Hexalobular (Torx) bits makes a huge difference, Halfords Pro tools are good quality and have a lifetime guarantee.

It is commonly accepted that Torx bolts can be used at higher torque than ordinary bolts because of the increased surface contact area.

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:17 pm

Probably teaching grandma but I find, when using an extension, that it is best to support the head of the wrench with one hand to keep it in line. It also helps to use a fairly long handle as it's easier to hold one hand still when you aren't straining with the other. You just need to be aware that it's easier to shear a bolt with a long handle. This applies to all fasteners but particularly to Torx, Spline and Allan bolts which seem to be particularly vulnerable to damage when the tool is used out of line. As has been said, a good quality tool is important. A poorly made tool will not fit the socket well is far more likely to cause damage.

The other point is that, if the bolts are damaged during removal, replace them. The contact points for tightening are different to those used while loosening and it is likely that you will be able to tighten a damaged bolt well enough, you may well be unable to remove it next time because of the existing damage.

Apologies if that's old hat but I felt it worth saying...

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

Sportster
Forum User

Postby Sportster » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:58 am

Are you sure that the fastener heads are "Torx" and not "Torx Plus"? Different bits required. See entry in Wikipedia for comprehensive description.

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:27 pm

Well I got the new bolts in and torqued up correctly without drama today.
I think I'll have to notch this one up to my own hamfistedness.
I've done this dozens of times but this is my first encounter with torx wheel bolts.

Return to “Hexhead (R1200) Q&A's”