R1200RT Loss of Power - Repeat incident

Post your 'Hexhead' technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Drumslinger
Forum User
Country of Residence: UNITED KINGDOM

R1200RT Loss of Power - Repeat incident

Postby Drumslinger » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:07 pm

Still trying to find out why I had a loss of power on my 1200RT. Repeat incident yesterday.
Power loss changing from 4th-3rd - A solid "Red" warning triangle on the dash illuminated - being electrical the handbook says its an alternator/alternator belt fault. All other dash lights, indicators, horn etc OK so still had battery power

Turning ignition off and restarting after a few mins of cooling the bike goes through its self check and the RED triangle has reset and the bike started OK. On return home the Alternator was checked and tested when the bike was running. Alternator and Battery both OK. Battery is holding its charge Could the fault be due to an "aged" alternator belt heating up slightly stretching and slipping on the pully???? (Service history shows last replaced 2013!!![/b] My previous 2 RT's had the belts replaced when I bought them so I've not experienced this fault before.

Will be changing the belt in the next couple of days as I don't know what else it could be.

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: R1200RT Loss of Power - Repeat incident

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:18 pm

Get the fault codes from the ICU. That should give you a starter for 10...

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

Drumslinger
Forum User

Postby Drumslinger » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:42 pm

Thanks Rob - Had crossed my mind but I don't have the plug in "gizmo" to recall/read any past faults. If it still occurs after the belt change I will visit my local independent service guru. I'm also thinking of potentially an "intermittent bad earth" which will be a nightmare to trace!!

george baker
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:40 pm

Hi
Could it be a dodgy ignition switch?
G
Member 21, R100R, and an under used K75

Jaythro
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: Norn Iron

Postby Jaythro » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:25 pm

Thanks Rob - Had crossed my mind but I don't have the plug in "gizmo" to recall/read any past faults. If it still occurs after the belt change I will visit my local independent service guru. I'm also thinking of potentially an "intermittent bad earth" which will be a nightmare to trace!!
Make sure your Guru fits an "Elast" belt I think its 4PK 611 ELAST that you need

If you don;t get an elast its a NIGHTMARE To fit and it will put undue pressure on the alternator nose bearing

You really do need the codes read

The later Bikes have an amazing amount of telemetry as standard and low voltage faults ABS Lamda etc etc I have a GS911 but am likely a tad faraway

I think the BMW owners club through MikeD on here may have a rental unit

Fuel pump relay failure can also cause red triangle when it cuts the engine out

There are a number of "Safety campaigns" still valid on 1200s So also wise to call your Local BM dealership and give them the last seven digits of your frame number to check if all have been carried out on yours ?

Maybe you can work a deal for a diagnostic pug in whilst its there ??
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

Islandmagee in case you're interested?

Drumslinger
Forum User

Postby Drumslinger » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:05 pm

Evening all. 20th June.
Decided to change the alternator belt! Looking back through the service history it was last changed in 2012. Bike has covered around 11K since the change. On removal the old belt was larger than the new replacement so I'm sure the belt was occasionally slipping when it hrd warmed up!! Needless to say since the change the fault has not happened again. Alternator and battery both tested and currently all working ok. My thanks for your help and guidance.

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Postby King Herald » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:11 pm

Evening all. 20th June.
Decided to change the alternator belt! Looking back through the service history it was last changed in 2012. Bike has covered around 11K since the change. On removal the old belt was larger than the new replacement so I'm sure the belt was occasionally slipping when it hrd warmed up!! Needless to say since the change the fault has not happened again. Alternator and battery both tested and currently all working ok. My thanks for your help and guidance.
There are two lengths of belt, as I found out when Motorworks decided I had a GS and sent me the belt for one. Which is a tad too short for my '97 r1100r.
1997 BMW R1100R
1993 Honda Transalp 600

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby milleplod » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:23 am

I've posted this before, it's the reply I got direct from ContiTech when I'd got in a tangle regarding which belt my RT needed -

"The Elast designation on a Contitech belt is to show that it has elastic cord members in the belt, this allows the belt to be fitted by stretching into place without any tensioning device or moveable pulleys. Not all manufacturers, especially OE, clearly show on the belt label if the belt is elastic and this can cause confusion. This is especially important as Traditional and Elast belts cannot be interchanged.

To add to the confusion some manufacturers use the production length as the part number and others use the fitted (stretched) length. Because of this it is important to use the cataloguing system to identify the correct belt and not to use the numbers from the old belt.

The Contitech belt will show for information both production and fitted lengths so the belt that you have will be:

4 [number of ribs] PK [rib profile designation] 592 [fitted length] (582) [production length] ELAST [elastic belt brand name]

I have been told previously by our product managers that BMW always gives the production length for elastic belts while we always give the fitted length as our primary number.

The BMW belt 4PK592 equals our 4PK611 (592) ELAST. Production length in brackets.
The BMW belt 4PK582 equals our 4PK592 (582) ELAST. Production length in brackets

Please also note that in many cases a special tool is required to install the Elast belt correctly without damaging the belt or pulleys.

I hope this helps you to identify the correct belt for your bike."

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Return to “Hexhead (R1200) Q&A's”