Post your 'Hexhead' technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Phaedrus
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Which R1200RT?

Postby Phaedrus » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:54 pm

Hi All,
I’m considering buying an R1200RT, and as there have been a number of model changes over the years I’m looking for some advice. I’d like the bike to be not much heavier than my K100RS, so have ruled out the the liquid cooled version as it seems to have put on around 20kg. Or is this version so much better that the extra weight is justified?
So my question is, are there any particular problems with the pre-LC bikes? My instinct would be to go for the youngest possible bike, unless somebody out there knows otherwise. Any options that are must haves?
All comments would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Philip.

andys
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Re: Which R1200RT?

Postby andys » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:38 am

My neighbour has a pre L/C R1200RT which he's owned from new. He's had no problems other than the clutch which he's just replaced at 80,000 miles. As with all BMWs, ABS can be a bit hit and miss at this age but that's not a difficult problem to negotiate. I'm sure you'll get some expert opinions in due course but my view is that for what you can buy them for, it's a lot of bike for the money but then so are a lot of big tourers. They seem to get particularly hard hit by depreciation. My money would be on an oil head 1100RT. If you can find a looked after one in good condition they really do take some beating.

Jaythro
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: Norn Iron

Postby Jaythro » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:52 am

Twin cam version is the business Mostly sorted the hexhead series out before they gained even more weight as LC models
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

Islandmagee in case you're interested?

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby milleplod » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:26 am

I've just moved to an 8k miles '13 plate TC from an '06 plate one. Not quite a chalk-and-cheese difference, but the improvements are there! The gearchange feels much nicer, engine feels more flexible, and the brakes feel more progressive than the servo ones on my earlier bike, which I always found a bit snatchy at low speeds.

I was tempted by a WC model, late TCs and early WC prices are very close, but tbh the tech in the new model put me off a bit!

Pete
Last edited by milleplod on Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Phaedrus
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby Phaedrus » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:26 am

Thanks all for your comments. So far sort of confirming my initial thoughts, ie a pre-LC Twin Cam is probably the way to go. Andy comments re R1100RT were interesting, but they are quite a bit heavier, which as I get older could become an issue.
Might be time to start looking...
Philip

Jockboxer
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Jockboxer » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:52 am

I've got a TC. Only had one issue shortly after purchase - the fuel pump controller. Other than that, 33k miles of replacing tyres and regular servicing. It still handles well (although the suspension is probably getting a little tired) and will tackle pretty much any road with complete confidence at legal speeds. Also illegal speeds if you want to risk your license. I considered the weight issue before purchase but looking at other bikes, such as the F800GS, I concluded that the weight saving was minimal compared to the advantages offered by the RT in terms of comfort, rain protection etc. Plus, the weight only matters if you drop it (get help!) or when parking or man handling (think ahead or see previous answer!).

gogs01
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby gogs01 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:10 am

If you can find a well-spec'd and well looked after 2013 twin Cam you should be getting a good bike.
If you're considering a Liquid Cooled model I would suggest going for a well spec'd and well looked after 2017 or later model. This will be a more modern bike all together and my 2016 model has clocked up over 36,000 miles without issues. The difference in price will probably be the clincher for you, but if you're concerned about weight they are all very heavy bikes. That's why I'm trading mine for a new F900XR .....
Club member #480
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

Return to “Hexhead (R1200) Q&A's”