R1200ST Tank Bag and Top Box advice needed

Post your 'Hexhead' technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

skida
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

R1200ST Tank Bag and Top Box advice needed

Postby skida » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:26 pm

I have been looking for extra luggage capacity and I would like to have confidence before ordering anything. Maybe my search technique is lacking but I can't find anything stating it is for an R1200ST. I believe a tank bag holder would attach to the filler cap ring, but does anyone know if this is the same size as a GS or RT from the same era (mine is 2005 and has 6 bolts securing it). As for top boxes, my bike has a rack, but the boxes I have looked at need (they say) a fitting kit specific to the bike. SHAD, for example, do not advertise a fitting kit specific to the R1200ST, but do have them for the R, RT, and GS. Help!

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: Bolsover

Re: R1200ST Tank Bag and Top Box advice needed

Postby milleplod » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:05 pm

The ST's factory rear rack is the same as the RT. I had an SW Motech tank ring on my ST - from memory, it's basically the same as the RT one, but has a spacer shaped the same as the tank ring that fits underneath it - it's only about 2mm thick, but it's needed to lift the ring slightly because of the profile of the ST's plastics around the filler. It uses 2 supplied longer bolts and 2 original ones for fitting.

https://sw-motech.com/en/products/lugga ... 024317.htm
trt_00_475_12200_b_1_xl.5447.jpg
This ring only takes their smaller 'Ion' bag - plenty big enough for phone, wallet, a can or bottle etc. I don't think they do a ring for the ST that takes one of their bigger bags - but I suspect that an RT-specific one could be used simply by using washers as the required spacers.

They also do this rack - https://www.sw-motech-shop.co.uk/ALU-RA ... 0-ST-05-09

Had you thought about a used, genuine topbox? There are at least 2 or 3 of the smaller, 28ltr ones on eBay (I think they suit the ST better than the larger variety) and all genuine boxes can be re-keyed to fit your bike's ignition key.

Pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nocto Diuque Venamur

skida
Forum User

Postby skida » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:34 am

Thanks for that Pete. I think the tank bag ring is a goer, but I may look for a more reasonable solution for the top box/rack.

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: Bolsover

Postby milleplod » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:54 am

If you don't mind soft luggage, BMW do a couple of 'softbags' that attach to the rear of the bike using pull-through straps. I used the smaller one - holds a surprising amount of stuff, plus it's expandable - for years, fully waterproof, very secure, and very well-made too. The larger one is huge, and easily holds at least as much as the large topbox.

This site shows you all the luggage bits and pieces - https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/uk ... ggage.html
Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

muscles1960
Forum User

Postby muscles1960 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:24 pm

I have been looking for extra luggage capacity and I would like to have confidence before ordering anything. Maybe my search technique is lacking but I can't find anything stating it is for an R1200ST. I believe a tank bag holder would attach to the filler cap ring, but does anyone know if this is the same size as a GS or RT from the same era (mine is 2005 and has 6 bolts securing it). As for top boxes, my bike has a rack, but the boxes I have looked at need (they say) a fitting kit specific to the bike. SHAD, for example, do not advertise a fitting kit specific to the R1200ST, but do have them for the R, RT, and GS. Help!
I have the SW-Motech tank ring Brand New never used. You can have it for £15. I never got round to fitting it.

skida
Forum User

Postby skida » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:27 am

I have sourced a top box which was cheap on ebay (if it works I'll be happy), and I have ordered an Ion tank ring and bag, so thanks chaps.

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:29 am

I paid £27 for one of these 3 years ago for use until I found something better:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261710635602 ... i&mail=sys

3 years later and it is still completely waterproof, does not get condensation in and is pretty secure.
My helmet and gloves have been in there since last August and have not suffered any ill.

Not exactly yer BMW quality but for the price (it was then) I certainly cannot knock it.

Luggage for motorbikes seems to be a lot like other clothes. Pay through the nose for something with a famous badge or buy something that works at a tenth of the cost. :)

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 14

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:36 am

That looks good value. Just make sure the single fixing bolt inside the box is securely fastened and, if possible, positively secured from unscrewing. I lost a box and contents once after a good run on poor roads. The bolt had been tight but the vibration had unscrewed it.
R1200RT
K1100RS + EZS Rally Sidecar
BMW K75C

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:26 am

That looks good value. Just make sure the single fixing bolt inside the box is securely fastened and, if possible, positively secured from unscrewing. I lost a box and contents once after a good run on poor roads. The bolt had been tight but the vibration had unscrewed it.
I used to check it every time I took the helmet out but it was never loose so I aint checked it for a year or two. Maybe I will now that you have reminded me. :)

Nick7
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby Nick7 » Sat May 01, 2021 8:51 pm

I use the SW motech rack and a Givi top box..needs their base plate. There is quite light weight recomendation by bmw on the standard box ( which itself weighs a ton!)which can take 2 full face helmets and suits the look of the bike well , and in effect the thing is held by one bolt/stud. Mine broke and has been drilled out and replaced...even though not overloaded. But as the Givi box has a pillion pad on it, and is used, you dont want anything like that coming adrift.

Return to “Hexhead (R1200) Q&A's”