Diagnostic tool

Post your 'Hexhead' technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Hibeem
Forum User
Country of Residence: Australia

Diagnostic tool

Postby Hibeem » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:11 pm

Not talking about myself, but wondering what the general consensus is and what are the options?
I'm aware of the GS911 and the Motoscan.
For a home mechanic I wonder what is the most cost effective, which version and so on?
I also wonder if there is some software available that might be run on a laptop with only an interface connector to the bike to make the connection.
By comparison I think maybe the first mentioned might run with bluetooth as my Delphi does with cars that I use it on.
The GS911 has some yellow Chinese ripoffs that are cheap but they seem pretty dodgy. I looked at one that said it only works on Windows XP and if you try to update it gets destroyed. I definitely don't want one of those.
So the genuine GS911 is about $500 aud and I am gleaning that this is the one we need.
But the motoscan at $125 then needs a software download with your Android device with a max of $80 for the full function.
I suppose I could be tempted to buy a horrible android phone for the purpose if I find that this system works well.
So your experience with this stuff is what I want to hear about and discuss.
Thanks.

vmx1200
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Re: Diagnostic tool

Postby vmx1200 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:27 pm

But the motoscan at $125 then needs a software download with your Android device with a max of $80 for the full function.
Not sure i understand this as the app is free to try

I have the Ultimate version of the Motoscan app as it allows all service functions in such things as activating the ABS pump when changing brake fluid, the app cost about £35 GBP. I also bought a Unicarscan UCSI-2000 Bluetooth OBD2 Adapter £55GBP, there are other cheaper Bluetooth adaptors but it is pot luck if they can write long codes to the bikes ECU.

So I spent £90 and can do all the servicing myself and also help out friends with BMWs

Yes it is Android only but get a cheap second hand phone or tablet and what is wrong with Android anyway?
1978 R100RS owned since 1981
2017 R Nine T Pure

P-K
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: England

Postby P-K » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:36 pm

Yes it is Android only but get a cheap second hand phone or tablet and what is wrong with Android anyway ?
Indeed, nowt wrong with Android.
Sure, it's different to Apple's IOS, but it's a solid OS
Phil,
'21 F900 XR
Site Administrator, Webmaster and Official Club Tweeter @BMRidersClub

windmill john
Forum User
Country of Residence: England
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Postby windmill john » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:50 am

nowt wrong with Android.

Not unless you work in a school and have to change the protocol, authentication method and certificate for Android to work with WPA2 encryption! It’s not hard, but blooming staff and students seem to have a hard time remembering! And some tablet and phones won’t let you add a work profile so Android is grief with Google Workspace…. Sorry, off topic…. Anddd breathe :roll:

Nothing personally against Android, both have their merits.
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Tweety Pie, my F650GS
Si, my CX500
Too many bikes have come and gone, trying to be sensible now!

vmx1200
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby vmx1200 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:56 pm

Not that the Hibeem has commented on the replies to his / her post but there is a cheaper OBD referenced in this thread that specifically states it works with the Motorscan app

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=30048
1978 R100RS owned since 1981
2017 R Nine T Pure

Return to “Hexhead (R1200) Q&A's”