Post your 'Hexhead' technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Hibeem
Forum User
Country of Residence: Australia

Re: Fuel strip

Postby Hibeem » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:21 pm

Exactly!
So if you read right through that thread you see they do fit the float and then change a few terminals and then they have mixed success. They also dismiss the Dutch guy and then when I lay it out for them they become rude and aggressive, and dismiss me because I'm Australian , and say that I have too much money and stuff but actually they agree in the end that the Proebeemer.nl solution will work.
Meanwhile some of the guys who mucked around with their wiring looms and coding were now returning it to standard.
So the bottom line is I think it's the fix but until I've proved it with some time on the fix I won't know for sure. Bert from Proebeemer is confident that the fix is permanent. The part that he makes costs 127euros and then you have to get the float as I said, and there are two possible modules which cover all the beemers with this issue , but as I also said the float you may need for one of the other models may need crosschecking with Bert. I only wanted to know about the GS because the Youtube clip shows it being done with a GSA and that is the different float.
Anyway I hope that's it for the fix and I will keep you posted . Cheers.

Mark Esposito
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Wales

Postby Mark Esposito » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:37 pm

Dear oh dear,

Arguments here, arguments over there, I never thought fuel strip replacement would be up there with Brexit and covid vaccination as sources of such disagreement.

Mark

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

I have a 2008 R1200 RT in case i forget to mention it when asking a question ! and I'm based in South Wales

Hibeem
Forum User

Postby Hibeem » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:21 am

Well apparently it's me causing all the strife because maybe I don't know how to properly address my superiors and because I must come across as brash and uncivilized. I'm not known for my tact, but so far I thought I was behaving fairly well. Sorry if all of the above is rubbing people the wrong way. I can't help it, I'm a descendant of Cornish stock who deny any connection to the Irish. But my name is Irish anyhow.
Being brand new in Beemer circles I'm just feeling the water and so far it has been pretty icy.
I think I found a fix that all these boffins were in denial about, that's all. It's no big deal except that I have responded to a couple of pretty strange outbursts against me which were probably provoked by my attitude of attempting to add some humour into the equation.
Nevermind, I'll be pretty wary about jumping into the Beemer pond in future. Quite happy with my Ducati and my Velocette anyway. And if Beemers are as reliable as they say, I won't be needing to fix it any time soon as it only has 5000K's on it, so it's not even fully run in.
All the best to everyone, hope you all manage to fix yer fuel gauges. Cheers.

Mark Esposito
Club Member 13

Postby Mark Esposito » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:56 am

Hibeem

Maybe the humour doesn't travel, particularly when in written form, it wouldn't be the first time.

Mark

I have a 2008 R1200 RT in case i forget to mention it when asking a question ! and I'm based in South Wales

Aljo
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Aljo » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:54 pm

Hi Mark.
Thanks for your posts providing across the board detail on this subject, giving a great concencus of pros and cons, on which forum members interested can decide whether to take that path, or not, after consideration.
Its what forums are for, members exchanging experiences and information, enhancing ownership and the right to make their own decisions accordingly.
I agree with everything you say.
Keep up the good work Mark.
You are an asset to the forum : )

Hibeem
Forum User

Postby Hibeem » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:08 pm

Hibeem

Maybe the humour doesn't travel, particularly when in written form, it wouldn't be the first time.

Mark

No and neither does the fix. That's OK I've read the book and seen the movie.

Hibeem
Forum User

Postby Hibeem » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:51 pm

Well I just have to report that the fuel strip replacement with the float and the unit from Proebeemer does actually work.
So happy fuel gauges guys. Just follow the vids and do as they say. Do Not swap terminals in your ECU. It is absolutely not necessary.

Mark Esposito
Club Member 13

Postby Mark Esposito » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:21 pm

Hi Hibeem,

Well done on getting this done.

Do you have any photos / videos of you doing the job ?

I always prefer to see stuff that been done by members who I can ask questions to about what I've seen before undertaking service repair work myself.

Mark

Hibeem
Forum User

Postby Hibeem » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:38 pm

Hi Mark,
I didn't take many pics though I have a few, but essentially I just followed the video of the guy fitting a float to a GSA. The difference with the GS is the float doesn't clip onto the fuel pump. Instead it clips to the base of the red filler cap submount. I mean once you remove the filler cap you see that red assembly which is removed by taking three cap screws out. Then you will see the fuel strip has a mount with tags that sit on a ledge there. But the float has a smaller flange that pushes around the circular part of that red thing, the tube that protrudes down into the tank.
Sorry I should have photographed that because it had me wondering for a minute.
But it's obvious once you see because there's also a locating lug that fits it in correct alignment. So you push that on all the way and then after feeding the wire through and clipping it on the pump you can drop the float and filler cap frame in and screw the three screws back in.
Then you refit the screw ring that holds the pump in place. There's a rubber seal that needs to be fitted into the tank first and then the pump sits easily into it. At first you might think it should be fitted around the pump but it doesn't work that way as it goes around a lip on the tank first.
Then the proebeemer unit plugs on the outside of the fuel pump, one side into the pump and the other side to the plug that goes back into the loom.
Then there are two more wires to power that unit, a red and a black, obviously positive and negative. You can find a good earth to connect the black but I found an unused accessories bundle under the headlight, which had quite a bit of spare wire all strapped into a bundle and there was a fuse on it as well. I removed the fuse and checked for power with and without the ignition , to find power only with ignition on. That was what I wanted so I cut that pair after the fuse and grafted the Proebeemer wires making sure to get the red to positive.
Afterwards the gauge worked for awhile, then quit so I contacted Mister ProeBeemer who told me I really should have the fault codes erased before fitting his unit. So I was waiting till I could get to the Beemer shop for that, as I haven't got the Motoscan tool. But after I got the bike registered the gauge just righted itself anyway and now is working fine. I still have a fault triangle alert illuminated which I'm hoping will go away after the fault code clearance. As I had to replace the tank and the pump to recommission this bike I am hoping that it will have to do with the change of components.
Anyway you should find all the vids you need here on the Proebeemer site.
The vids are in the GSA section. https://www.proebeemer.nl/producten/float-control-gs-a/
The manuals are here: https://www.proebeemer.nl/handleidingen/
There's a button at bottom right to toggle between Dutch and English
I asked Bert to get me a new float from Beemer and he helped me with that because I couldn't find one anywhere.
All the best with it.

Hibeem
Forum User

Postby Hibeem » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:19 pm

I have an update which is inconclusive. After getting the bike registered last week I took it for a ride to the dealer because it needs three recalls. As I set off the fuel gauge was not working. After riding for about an hour the gauge suddenly showed a nearly full tank. This was then erratic for a few miles but by the time I got to the dealers it was showing a good gauge.
Then after I left and all the way home the gauge was reading properly. I did think it was reading a bit low but it was reading. However upon arrival in my town I filled the tank and since then it has showed as faulty. I am wondering if this could be a calibration problem so as the level drops it may start to work again but at the moment I am not happy about the whole thing. So a bit more time is needed before I can tell.
One thing I did discover at the dealers was the illuminated fault triangle on the dash only relates to the tyre air pressure modules which need new batteries. The dealer told me they can't have new batteries fitted and they cost $380 each to replace. I have been informed that for $20 you can replace the batteries or for not much more there are sensors available on Amazon. So not sure where the dealer is coming from. Maybe they need a bit of education.
But the bottom line there is I don't have a fault code on the fuel gauge so it should work. So I am waiting for awhile before I ask Probeemer.NL about this because I am becoming unhappy about having paid for his unit that so far doesn't appear to work.
But as I say there may be a calibration issue, which I hope is the case because I thought Bert at Proebeemer seemed like a pretty nice bloke and I just want a working gauge and no more hassles.

Mark Esposito
Club Member 13

Postby Mark Esposito » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:59 pm

Hi Hibeem,

Thanks for the update, your experience is similar to that of the guy on the YouTube video I watched, he never updated to say if he managed to resolve similar issues.

I haven't had this fuel strip problem my self so haven't had to go through the expense and grief that you and many others have.

A thought occurred that maybe the bike ECU could be coded to recognise a float instead of a strip using motoscan / GS-911 or even with the dealer diagnostic tool and avoiding the use of any module or rewiring of ECU plug.

Maybe someone with good experience of the GS-911 which has been around a long time now, will know if such a option is available .

Good luck with it and please let us know how you get on .

Mark

Return to “Hexhead (R1200) Q&A's”