Post your 'Hexhead' technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Ruralman
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

2006 R1200gsa din socket power

Postby Ruralman » Fri May 18, 2018 9:07 pm

Hi Guys & Gals,
The latest problem surfaced after a puncture in my front wheel, I have an extension cable from the din socket to the handle bars that used to transfer power that would run the compressor to pump up the tyres, this no longer works!
I used to have to leave the bike running to maintain a live socket to power the pump and other accessories.

Any ideas?

Regards
Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
chairman@bmridersclub.com
----------------------------------
2006 R1200GSA
'Live to ride - ride to live'
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Re: 2006 R1200gsa din socket power

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Fri May 18, 2018 10:33 pm

Hi Keith,

From the 2006 R1200GS Wiring Diagram, the Onboard Socket is connected to the Central Electronics Unit (CEU).

As your bike is CanBUS, it may be that this socket is only powered up when the bike is running, OR, if a CanBUS enabled accessory is connected to the socket - I don't know how this socket/CanBUS work together.

Anyway, you first need to check the power DIRECTLY on the original socket outlet and NOT on your extension cable to determine if the original socket is working or not.

If you have a spare plug for this, then wire a 12v 21W Indicator bulb onto the plug and see if the original socket has power.

Do NOT just check the voltage - the 21W bulb will draw around 1.75 Amps and should light FULLY if the original socket is working.
If you just put a voltmeter on the socket then you may get misleading voltage data as the voltmeter will draw virtually no current.
If the original socket is NOT working, then remove it and check if any wiring has corroded and fallen off the terminals.

If the original socket IS working, then you need to check out your extension cable plug and socket.
Use an Ohmmeter to check for continuity between the plug and the socket.

I seem to remember that you had this problem before at a Hawick Northern Meet and the extension socket was badly corroded inside?
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

Ruralman
Club Member 14

Postby Ruralman » Sat May 19, 2018 12:42 pm

Hi Keith,

From the 2006 R1200GS Wiring Diagram, the Onboard Socket is connected to the Central Electronics Unit (CEU).

As your bike is CanBUS, it may be that this socket is only powered up when the bike is running, OR, if a CanBUS enabled accessory is connected to the socket - I don't know how this socket/CanBUS work together.

Anyway, you first need to check the power DIRECTLY on the original socket outlet and NOT on your extension cable to determine if the original socket is working or not.

If you have a spare plug for this, then wire a 12v 21W Indicator bulb onto the plug and see if the original socket has power.

Do NOT just check the voltage - the 21W bulb will draw around 1.75 Amps and should light FULLY if the original socket is working.
If you just put a voltmeter on the socket then you may get misleading voltage data as the voltmeter will draw virtually no current.
If the original socket is NOT working, then remove it and check if any wiring has corroded and fallen off the terminals.

If the original socket IS working, then you need to check out your extension cable plug and socket.
Use an Ohmmeter to check for continuity between the plug and the socket.

I seem to remember that you had this problem before at a Hawick Northern Meet and the extension socket was badly corroded inside?
Hi Ced,
Indeed you are correct the socket was corroded, I have since rubbed some of the rust off and it was working ok when on the K1200rs but after transferring it back to the R1200gsa it shows live for a fraction of a second then it’s no longer live, if you remember when we camped at Kirkby Stephens I was using the cable extension to charge my phone but only with the bike running.
I’m wondering whether the pump isn’t Suitable for the Canbus system, I’ll try charging the phone and see if it still works.
Regards
Keith

Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
2006 R1200GSA

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sat May 19, 2018 2:29 pm

Hi Keith,

Is the K1200RS CanBUS like your R1200GSA?

Your pump will not be CanBUS compatible and so it will only work on the CanBUS power socket when the bike is running as you discovered.
(It might work with just the Ignition On but I don't know as my bike is not CanBUS).

It's not that there is anything wrong with the pump just that the bike electrics are all controlled by the electronic CanBUS system which shuts the power off the sockets either when you switch the Ignition Off or a minute or two later.

To get round this problem, you might fit a Power Socket directly across the Battery Terminals incorporating a 10 Amp Inline Fuse.
This will provide power at any time without the Ignition having to be On or buying expensive CanBUS compatible accessories.

The green corrosion in your existing socket may have eaten away the internal connection/s so that could be why you are not getting any power.
It will always corrode easily now as the protective plating will have been eaten away.
Time to bin that socket and get a new one!
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

Ruralman
Club Member 14

Postby Ruralman » Sat May 19, 2018 2:44 pm

Oh no! Not another money spend !
I’m not sure about the K12 being Canbus, but after some research I’ve remembered that the Canbus system will only power up to 5amp maximum so compressors will not work on Canbus therefore you’re correct Ced I’ll have to wire in a new socket to the battery.
Thanks once again for all your help.

Regards
Keith

Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
2006 R1200GSA

chasbmw
Forum User

Postby chasbmw » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:22 pm

CanBus prevent me using a pump on the socket of my 2102, makes no odds if ignition is on or engine is running.

Nippy Norman’s sell a socket for wiring direct to battery but it’s a cheap POS. I will find somewhere to fit the BMW Socket as fitted to airheads and wire direct to battery
Charles
2016 CCM 450
1975 R90/6
1958 R50
2012 R1200R

Return to “Hexhead (R1200) Q&A's”