New BMW Rider with R1200ST. It is a bit different

Post your 'Hexhead' technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

skida
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

New BMW Rider with R1200ST. It is a bit different

Postby skida » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:29 pm

I have had this bike for just over a week and done about 50 miles. It would have been more but the weather etc....... :oops:

I was expecting the steering being heavier than what I had ridden before, but blinkin' 'eck: I thought the tyres were soft (they weren't). I also hate the indicator-off switch as I accidently rev the bike everytime I go to push the button - I hope that will go away as I get used to it.

The gears, especially 1st and 2nd seem very tall, and I am having nerves when going around tight turns and roundabouts, thinking it is going to stall. I am sure that it isn't really, and it is just the different feel from a Boxer Twin.

The seat feels very comfy compared to the Triumphs, Suzukis and Yamahas I owned previously, but very slippery when wearing textile trousers - not a major problem except my good lady doesn't appreciate the movement as I get used to the extreme engine braking :lol:

I know that I will get used to everything, and I am looking forward to putting some miles on this low mileage bike (33k in 15 years).

edit: I forgot my question: Have other riders felt the same about BMWs when they first got one, and how long does it take to acclimatise?

muscles1960
Forum User

Re: New BMW Rider with R1200ST. It is a bit different

Postby muscles1960 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:52 pm

Had mine from new September 2007. Everything you say is true. I previously had a Suzuki 600N Bandit. Big change switching to the beamer but you, like me, will soon get used to it. Added bonus is that it is easy to work on. Only issue really is the seat on longer journeys. It can get a little uncomfortable after 100 miles or so. I remedied this by purchasing an Airhawk inflatable seat cushion. Helps keep your nadgers cool...

skida
Forum User

Postby skida » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:01 pm

Thanks for the reassurance, muscles. That Airhawk cushion looks like a goer to me! I will be trying a few miles this week with lots of roundabouts and I am sure I will adapt fairly quickly. If the disease restrictions open up I am hoping to ride down to the Costa Brava late May/early June. Plan B will be Scotland or Wales.

muscles1960
Forum User

Postby muscles1960 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:48 pm

Yeah. Wales is an area of the UK I often visit being based in the Midlands. Some great scenic routes. The Cornish coastline as well if you should get the opportunity.

skida
Forum User

Postby skida » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:15 am

I managed another 30 miles on Wednesday, between showers and it went a lot better, though not quite perfect yet.

Nick7
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby Nick7 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:34 pm

I had the seat cover material changed..looks close to stock, but no pillion sliding which drove my wife mad! Tyres are of course crucial to feel, steering etc. I run michelin pilot road 4 or 5..the best. I changed the suspension front and back for Wilburs..it corners like on rails..bit pricey though. And yes those indicators drive me nuts too! Once sorted its peerless.

DEEP DIVER
Forum User
Country of Residence: ENGLAND

Postby DEEP DIVER » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:38 am

One way to stop sliding on the seat is a sheepskin cover. It has to be real sheepskin not a fake one. They look funny but work great, I use a old sheepskin rug held in place with a bungy cord and the wife no longer slides forward. Plus they help to stop overheating in hot weather.
https://www.sheepskinshop.co.uk/product ... at-covers/
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Blue belt in Serious tea drinking.

Barry the old goat!!!!
1985 R80ST being rebuilt #-o
1985 R80RT Touring dream sold
2 Harley sportsters being rebuilt #-o
And a VW trike so I don't fall off :shock:

Nick7
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby Nick7 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:53 pm

..as for value , just look at the price of a new RS, and add a few options. You can get a decent and quite good looking top box from Givi btw, but have to change the rack..sw moto. I posted below as to engine bars..and i neede a taller screen. This was / is my first BMW bought i guess 6 or so years ago from a dealer. No plans to change unless it develops an expensive fault! My abs/ servo brakes are fine touch wood..small tip, when replacing front indicator buld..orange coatings flaking...dont overtighten the cover screws as its essy to crack the covers..and look at the price of those?!!

Return to “Hexhead (R1200) Q&A's”