Post your Hexhead (watercooled) technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

gvhbiker
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

2014 R1200GS, 11500 Miles - Rear Shock Failure

Postby gvhbiker » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:33 pm

Hi everyone
I took my 2014, 11500 miles, R1200GS, to my local BMW dealer this morning for a front fork recall.
When the work was done they informed me my rear shock was faulty - their exact words, "like a pogo stick". I have to admit I hadn't noticed but I assume the problems have occurred very, very gradually & now it's been pointed out it's clear the rear suspension is too soft. The ESA is still adjustable, but too soft on each setting, soft normal & hard.
I Googled the fault when I got home & found a Youtube posting by the bike blogger, the Missenden Flyer, who had exactly the same problem on his 4 year old 19000 mile R1200GS & BMW replaced his shock FOC even though it was out of warranty.
My bike is back in the dealer on May 8th for inspection & assessment & I'm hoping they/BMW will replace the shock without any argument but I'd like to go armed with as much information as possible so, if I need to, I've got evidence of many other people having this problem.
Logically, it must be a defective part if it's failed after 3.5 years & 11500 miles, & so there should be no argument - but I'm old enough & ugly enough to know large corporations might not see it that way if it means parting with some money, so any input would be most appreciated.
Many thanks
Geoff

Galactic Greyhound
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: 2014 R1200GS, 11500 Miles - Rear Shock Failure

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:33 pm

Replied to this same topic originally posted in the 'Hexhead (R1200) Q&A's' section.

This section is for 'Hexhead (Watercooled R1200) Q&A's'. :smile:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

Return to “Hexhead (Watercooled R1200) Q&A's”