2017 Events

The new BM Riders Club Forum - OPEN TO ALL

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This forum is for the benefit of BM Riders Club Members but is open for all to share so that you can see the advantages of becoming a Club Member which would then permit you to attend Club events.
george baker
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: uk

2017 Events

Postby george baker » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:46 pm

Hi,
it is time to start planning for 2017, tell us what you fancy for next year.

Ideas so far, comment below, or email me.

MEETS
Yorkshire, South Lancs, Northern meets all went well this year, so same sort of thing next year?

Dorset meets? I hope Ian can sort out something for the deep south.
We need an organiser in the East Midlands and the South East for local lunch meets, any offers?

DAYTRIPS
this year we went to Beamish, and used invites to an air-show, and 2 vintage vehicle rallys.
We could have gone to more day trips if people had expressed an interest, individuals went on their own to various shows which could have been meet ups.

STOPPING OUT
Scotland 2 day?
Dumfries camping with B&B in the town?
Loch Ken bunkhouse and camping?
Ced has found something further up, camping and a barn?

Scotland road trip? 2 of us are planning and we would happily have people join us for all or part

Lincolnshire 2 day camping?

Forest of Dean 2 day camping?

North Wales, dinner overnight in a Travelodge?

South Wales, 2dinners, 2overnight in a Travelodge?

NEAR Scarborough 2nights B&B and camping, food pub 15 minutes walk away.

North Yorks, 2 nights same as this year?

Ireland same as this year?
Anyone fancy organising other stopping out events? I will help you set it up if you want

George
Member 21, R100R, and an under used K75

Tango
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Re: 2017 Events

Postby Tango » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:32 pm

Hi George,
Thanks for putting that lot up, I will endeavour to support as many events as possible.

Have decided to knock any idea of european travel on the head, for several reasons.

So the idea of little and often is quite attractive now.
Just thinking out loud, and not being familiar with event organisation, could some of the events be arranged around monthly meets in different areas?
The last St Mary's loch meet was well supported, seemed such a waste if that's the right word to leave after a couple of hours.
Rather than expecting an event organiser to do all the leg work, just publish the venue, then anyone can book their own accommodation, b&b, hotel, camping or whatever, with or without others, for one, two nights or as long they like before and or after the meet.
This along the lines of "I'm going anyone want to join me", but I'm gonna make a bit of an adventure of it. :grin:

Cheers
Regards,
Marty
(2012) R1200GS Sold
(1992) R80GS
(1987) R100GS Bumble Bee

george baker
Club Member 14

Postby george baker » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:48 pm

Hi Tango,
thanks for the reply and thoughts

This is a good thought
events be arranged around monthly meets in different areas
it is what we did for Beamish, end on with a Yorkshire meet, and the Loch Ken bunkhouse that finished the day before a Northern meet
just publish the venue, then anyone can book their own accommodation
that is what we did for Beamish, and it is my plan for the two Welsh events

Do people think Loch Ken has another year use left in it?
As a destination?
Or as a stop over on our way North?

George

Tango
Forum User

Postby Tango » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:25 pm

I enjoyed Loch Ken this year, and would go again.
With regard to a stop over, would depend on the final destination, as it's a fair detour off the main route north (A74).
Regards,
Marty
(2012) R1200GS Sold
(1992) R80GS
(1987) R100GS Bumble Bee

Bill Smithson
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby Bill Smithson » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:48 pm

Have you given any thought to a stay at Radnor Revivals?
I stayed there for a week in August well worth a visit. Not connected except as a pre-paid visitor next year!

Accommodation is a mixture of Bunkhouse, lodges sleeping 4, camping and caravan pitches with new shower and toilet blocks going in next year. There is also a map room for everyone to get together for meetings etc. Meals can be arranged on site by prior arrangement. Book as a motorcycle club for a healthy discount.
Not available over Easter for the next 5 years as the Sunbeam Club have already booked in.
http://www.radnorrevivals.co.uk

Tango
Forum User

Postby Tango » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:00 pm

Looks really nice Bill, think i'll give the winter ride out a miss though.
Regards,
Marty
(2012) R1200GS Sold
(1992) R80GS
(1987) R100GS Bumble Bee

Lolo
Country of Residence: Portugal

Postby Lolo » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:19 pm

Portugal ! :grin: :-"
Living the dream :sunny:

Bill Smithson
Forum User

Postby Bill Smithson » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:29 pm

My wife has just landed there tonight on holiday in Lisbon for a few days.

farmerboy
Forum User

Postby farmerboy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:38 pm

North Coast 500?
Training events?
Track days?
Fix/service/repair/tune your bike demo's?
Treasure hunts?
Charity rides?
Bike raffle? (£20 a ticket - sell a thousand tickets - someone gets a new bike and money in the pot for the club)
Annual dinner dance/ BBQ?
Combine the yorks/Lancs meets - somewhere in the middle ish...
and finally a prize for the first person to work out an easier way to post pics.... I love pics!
2006 R1200 RT
Grey

2000 Cagiva Navigator TL1000S
Red

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
Green (kept in Texas)

John

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:08 pm

Are you ready for us! :grin:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

boxerman
Site Admin/Club Member

Postby boxerman » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:11 pm

Camping fee one bar of chocolate...... :grin:
Phil Hawksley 'The Boxer Man' - aka 'Dangermouse'
Member #1 Much modified R80G/S - a REAL one
Why not join the BM Riders Club @ http://www.bmridersclub.com
http://www.boxerman.co.uk
http://www.bmbikes.co.uk
https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos

george baker
Club Member 14

Postby george baker » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:56 am

Hi
Lolo, Portugal !
several of us are game but dont want to stray away from the NHS atm, It was part of my plan for this year but until I'm mended..... :sad: :-({|=
John
North Coast 500? Join me and Bryce on the Scotland road trip(my first post)? The 2 of us are planning and we would happily have people join us for all or part, Date not selected but not school holiday and close to Loch Ken or Dumfries date, avoiding as much as possible the midget season. Route- atm up to ferry to Skye, then clockwise, mostly camping on sites but some B&B, the 500 mile section in about 5 days

Training events? IIRC we were offered a discount at an off road place, no one was interested I could ask again, NW Scotland. But if there was enough interest in advanved road training we could approach Bikesafe, an IAM group or commercial instructor but the last would need us to find a venue

Track days? Why not? Where? Will you look in to it? 3Sisters at Wigan have open sessions where you pay about 20 quid for a few laps of the track

Fix/service/repair/tune your bike demo's? Why not?, Where? Ledbury might rent us their workshop. We could fix airhead starternotors, I am sure we all have at least one that needs an overhaul

Treasure hunts? I dont think there are enough of us, but wonder if we could join in with another group?

Charity rides? I dont think there are enough of us, but wonder if we could join in with another group?

Bike raffle? (£20 a ticket - sell a thousand tickets - someone gets a new bike and money in the pot for the club)
Annual dinner dance/ BBQ? Not sure, unless it is for the Purple R100R has

Combine the yorks/Lancs meets - somewhere in the middle ish... WHAT? [-X YES, I will chat to Colin & PK

and finally a prize for the first person to work out an easier way to post pics.... I love pics! WHAT? [-X not sure if that can be done, probably only Phill knows but pictures guzzle his web space
George

Tango
Forum User

Postby Tango » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:24 pm

by farmerboy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:38 pm

North Coast 500? Yes or Join in with George and Bryce on their Scottish adventure
Training events?
Track days?
Fix/service/repair/tune your bike demo's? Yes sounds good
Treasure hunts? would support it
Charity rides? likewise
Bike raffle? (£20 a ticket - sell a thousand tickets - someone gets a new bike and money in the pot for the club) just send me your donations
Annual dinner dance/ BBQ? would support it
Combine the yorks/Lancs meets - somewhere in the middle ish... yes how about Skipton/ Grassington Pateley bridge kind of area, maybe call it meet the neighbours
and finally a prize for the first person to work out an easier way to post pics.... I love pics!
2006 R1200 RT
Grey
John
Regards,
Marty
(2012) R1200GS Sold
(1992) R80GS
(1987) R100GS Bumble Bee

Ruralman
Club Member 14

Postby Ruralman » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:55 pm

North Coast 500?
Training events?
Track days?
Fix/service/repair/tune your bike demo's?
Treasure hunts?
Charity rides?
Annual dinner dance/ BBQ?
Combine the yorks/Lancs meets - somewhere in the middle ish...
Yay! Great ideas! Please consider Club Officer posts next month!
Regards
Keith

Live to ride, ride to Live ! :bounce:
Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
chairman@bmridersclub.com
----------------------------------
2006 R1200GSA
'Live to ride - ride to live'
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

bryce
Club Member 14

Postby bryce » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:05 pm

George,

I like the look of that Radnor Revivals place. The lodges look really good value and the location looks really good for ride outs and things to do. I imagine you might have to commit early though?

Combining one or more Yorkshire/Lancs meetings sounds good. Perhaps twice a year or whatever?

Portugal also sounds good but with my current medical problems probably not good for me next year. I think it might be getting harder and harder to get reasonably priced medical insurance..............but we shall see.

Look on the bright side...........UK trips are currently adventures in Europe but in a couple of years they will be adventures outside Europe........what fun? :-)

But I just go with the flow. There are always things to be enjoyed wherever we end up.

Bryce

george baker
Club Member 14

Postby george baker » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:21 pm

Hi
Bev at Radnor Revivals plans to get back to me tomorrow with dates, as you say we will have to move quickly so looking at mid MAY 2017. Thanks for the heads up Bill, will you come if we book? Temporary membership is available to You or ANYONE else for a single event. When Bev gets back to me I will talk to the committee, current plan is 1 lodge, of 2 twin rooms and camping, not sure if a week or short break makes more sense.

Portugal sounds good but with my current medical problems probably not good for me next year either. Doctors in the morning of the Lancs meet, but I hope to be there for Noon

Wales is abroad for me.

George

Bill Smithson
Forum User

Postby Bill Smithson » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:11 pm

Bev at Radnor Revivals plans to get back to me tomorrow with dates, ............Thanks for the heads up Bill, will you come if we book? George
Hi George, many thanks for your kind invitation but I am already booked in there for next year.
Some fantastic rides available in the area and there's a very handy and helpful BMW repair shop at Church Stretton.

gogs01
Club Member 14

Postby gogs01 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:03 pm

I'm thinking of a trip to Romania in 2017 to ride the Transfagarasan Highway. My brother says he's up for it. Should I post in "Anyone want to join me" ?
Club member #480
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

george baker
Club Member 14

Postby george baker » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:13 pm

Hi
Bill
when are you booked in?

gogs01
I think Holiday company http://www.bmbikes.org.uk/Forum/viewforum.php?f=91 would be better.

A search may bring details of a trip lolo and pirate did may bring some background info.

Have a good trip
George

gogs01
Club Member 14

Postby gogs01 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:59 pm

gogs01
I think Holiday company http://www.bmbikes.org.uk/Forum/viewforum.php?f=91 would be better.

A search may bring details of a trip lolo and pirate did may bring some background info.
Thanks George. =D>
Club member #480
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

Lolo
Country of Residence: Portugal

Postby Lolo » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:40 pm

I'm thinking of a trip to Romania in 2017 to ride the Transfagarasan Highway. My brother says he's up for it. Should I post in "Anyone want to join me" ?

Its a fantastic ride but check when your going as its only open for a few months in the summer. Also make sure you set off early once there as it fills up with tourist coaches during the day and being stuck behind one or facing one on those hair pins would not be funny! :shock: Also the view at the top is amazing if the weather is good.

I really enjoyed it but I have had a couple of friends that have gone since and been diappointed that it was closed when they got there.

Mind the potholes too some of them are as big as a front wheel!

The country its self is beautiful and the people very friendly.

Enjoy :grin:

Portugal: Anyone is welcome to stop by we are not doing the campsite thing we found we didn't need to. We do have two empty bedrooms most of the time though but we are out in the middle of nowhere. No charge for stopping other than chucking a few euros our way for any electric you use (and chocolate!) and food, we are bit like glam camping though :grin: But seriously we are happy for anyone to use us as a stop over or a bike fettle, we have plenty of tools and if you want to stay longer you will get roped into the renovations!!!! :grin:
Living the dream :sunny:

gogs01
Club Member 14

Postby gogs01 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:00 pm

It's a fantastic ride but check when you're going as its only open for a few months in the summer. Also make sure you set off early once there as it fills up with tourist coaches during the day and being stuck behind one or facing one on those hair pins would not be funny! :shock: Also the view at the top is amazing if the weather is good.
I really enjoyed it but I have had a couple of friends that have gone since and been disappointed that it was closed when they got there.
Mind the potholes too some of them are as big as a front wheel!
The country its self is beautiful and the people very friendly.
Enjoy :grin:
Thanks for that - I was aware of the risk of closure due to snow, so probably August for preference ? I would like to spend a few days around the area - Fagaras, Curtea de Arges, Pitesti, Sibiu, so I should be able to choose a quieter time. As for the potholes, it's getting like that in UK ..... :shock:

Portugal: Anyone is welcome to stop by we are not doing the campsite thing we found we didn't need to. We do have two empty bedrooms most of the time though but we are out in the middle of nowhere. No charge for stopping other than chucking a few euros our way for any electric you use (and chocolate!) and food, we are bit like glam camping though :grin: But seriously we are happy for anyone to use us as a stop over or a bike fettle, we have plenty of tools and if you want to stay longer you will get roped into the renovations!!!! :grin:
No current plans for Portugal, but my brother might have other ideas, so never say never ..... If it does come up can I pm you for an address ?
Club member #480

P-K
Site Admin/Club Member

Postby P-K » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:36 am

I'll do my usual of organising the "Yorkshire, meet us for lunch" events to run from March to October.

Just leave that to me.
Phil,
'17 R9T Urban G/S : '12 R1200R
Site Administrator, Assistant Webmaster and Official Club Tweeter @BMRidersClub

george baker
Club Member 14

Postby george baker » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:29 am

Hi
I will do the same in South Lancs but may move the venue about.

PK I will mail you later ref joint meet

George

Ruralman
Club Member 14

Postby Ruralman » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:51 pm

Ced & I will carry on running the Northern Meets and check out prospective event venues.
Regards
Keith

Live to ride, ride to Live ! :bounce:
Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
chairman@bmridersclub.com
----------------------------------
2006 R1200GSA
'Live to ride - ride to live'
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Return to “BM Riders Club”