Condensation in speedo

Post your post 1970 technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Mjolinor
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Condensation in speedo

Postby Mjolinor » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:30 pm

I have done everything I can to stop water getting in and nothing works.

I am thinking that the best thing to do now is just to make the mother of all holes in the bottom so that it stays at ambient humidity.

I can't think of any reason why ti may lead to problems so I refer to you lot to point out the error of my ways.

Tony the Skin
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: England
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Condensation in speedo

Postby Tony the Skin » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:41 pm

It is traditional. My first 90S in 1976 did a bit. My present one does a bit. Less of a problem on the /5 but /6 and /7 commonplace.
BMW R75/5
BMW R90/S
BMW R75/7
BMW K75 Sprint
BMW R1200 RS LC
Harleys
MZ 251
Suzuki GT750A

Membership No. 672

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:46 pm

If I could still read the dials I would leave it. Occasionally it will form drops and run off so I can see a bit of the dial but not usually where the fingers are. The bottom must have a eggcup full in there, it can't be good for anything.

Galactic Greyhound
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:04 pm

Water inside the unit could cause serious problems if it froze during the Winter.

A small hole around 3mm at the lowest point when mounted should allow leakage to drain and some air movement inside the unit.

If a larger hole is made then there is the risk of dust/grit getting inside.

If problems still occur, then a similar sized air-purge hole might be drilled near the top on the high air pressure side of the casing but this comes with the risk of allowing rain entry unless a spigot and tube is used.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:43 pm

WD40 pipe sized hole and a squirt in there I reckon. That will get the water out and shouldn't do any harm.

Nate
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby Nate » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:50 pm

WD40 is a solvent and only really useful for sliding grips onto the handlebars. Use ACF50 - it dispels moisture and is a very good lubricant.

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:04 pm

WD40 repels moisture and has PTFE in. It's a better choice. I have both (along with at least a dozen others) but I would choose WD40 for this. :)

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 13

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:43 pm

Didn't BMW actually put a hole in the later instrument casings with a piece of Goretex type material glued over the inside?
R1200RT
K1100RS + EZS Rally Sidecar
Kawasaki Versys 650

John Marshall
Forum User

Postby John Marshall » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:26 pm

I fitted all new gaskets and sealed the outer case with silicone sealant.Then the odomoeter packed up so I had to rip it apart again. Probably best to move to Spain.

Roy Gavin
Forum User
Country of Residence: Australia

Postby Roy Gavin » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:22 pm

Or Australia.

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:27 pm

Prefer Greece, I lived there a few years.

Tony the Skin
Club Member 13

Postby Tony the Skin » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:22 am

Didn't BMW actually put a hole in the later instrument casings with a piece of Goretex type material glued over the inside?

I know they did that on the later K100 models.
BMW R75/5
BMW R90/S
BMW R75/7
BMW K75 Sprint
BMW R1200 RS LC
Harleys
MZ 251
Suzuki GT750A

Membership No. 672

beemer8
Forum User
Country of Residence: england

Postby beemer8 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:55 pm

WD40 is a solvent and only really useful for sliding grips onto the handlebars. Use ACF50 - it dispels moisture and is a very good lubricant.
Is the solvent property just a by product ?, always thought that WD stood for water dispellent.

John Marshall
Forum User

Postby John Marshall » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:03 pm

Curroalb
Forum User
Country of Residence: spain

Postby Curroalb » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:33 pm

Hello
Excuse my English
I am writing from Spain.
I fix many odometers every year and one of the problems is the water intake.
First of all tell you that it is not a good idea to put WD40 inside the odometer without seeing where it falls.
Second: make a small hole 2-3 mm. helps evacuate the water that may come in.
Third: you have to change the normal bulb for one of LEDs. Does not heat and prevents condensation.
regards

Tincan3
Forum User

Postby Tincan3 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:45 pm

That sounds very logical.
Can you recommend the LED?
Your English is way better than my Spanish (wonderful bike country by the way)!

CharlieVictor
Forum User
Country of Residence: France

Postby CharlieVictor » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:53 pm

True, but WD40 comes in several various packages beyond the "classic" one we all know, including water/moisture repellant for electrical parts.
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"
1999 W650 RS "Twin with a kick"

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:47 am

This is the sort of thing you're looking for.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10X-T10-LED- ... :rk:6:pf:0

They can be used to replace all of the bulbs in the instrument panel except the charge lamp (the current from a normal bulb is needed to kickstart the charging process so additional adaptions need to be made) and, in vehicles using the 3 terminal flasher relay, the flasher repeater.

LED's tend to give a bright and very white light which may not be to your taste (although I don't have a problem with it). If you prefer a yellower tone, look for bulbs with a 'Warm white' light.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:50 am

I fitted LEDs to my speedo and then took them out again. The problem is that you need LEDs that transmit the same light colour as the filter in front of them and you are not likely to find any so the proper way is to remove the green / red / yellow piece of plastic in front of them or no light gets through. White LEDs are blue with fluorescent die and they do not make real white light.

wulfrun
Forum User

Postby wulfrun » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:54 am

I fitted LEDs to my speedo and then took them out again. The problem is that you need LEDs that transmit the same light colour as the filter in front of them and you are not likely to find any so the proper way is to remove the green / red / yellow piece of plastic in front of them or no light gets through. White LEDs are blue with fluorescent die and they do not make real white light.
I fitted LEDs to the the RS I used to own, including the charge light (bypassed with a couple of resistors so the charge system still worked). It's actually easy to obtain LEDs of the appropriate colour for each lamp (red/green/yellow/blue/white etc) so I had no issues. Actually, you could use white LEDs for everything but the spectrum does make it a poor choice for some colours.
'82 R100RS (written off Nov 2013, by a dozy car-driver), Suzuki Bandit

barryh
Forum User

Postby barryh » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:15 am

But did LEDS of whatever colour actually help with condensation as our friend from Spain suggests (if you had any condensation problem to start with).

wulfrun
Forum User

Postby wulfrun » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:02 pm

But did LEDS of whatever colour actually help with condensation as our friend from Spain suggests (if you had any condensation problem to start with).
Never had the problem in the first place, in my case, so I can't really comment. There are two "arguments" as I see it, either of which may be correct. (1) having bulbs generates heat, which will tend to evaporate any condensation or (2) using LEDs doesn't generate heat so there's no heat-cool cycle to keep moving air in and out of the binnacle.
'82 R100RS (written off Nov 2013, by a dozy car-driver), Suzuki Bandit

Curroalb
Forum User
Country of Residence: spain

Postby Curroalb » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:36 pm

The problem of light bulbs and condensation is as follows:
Normal bulbs produce heat so there is a thermal difference between the outside of the odometer and the interior.
This thermal difference causes moisture to condense on the inside of the glass.
The normal bulb does not, I repeat NO, evaporate the water inside the odometer, it only produces enough thermal difference to condense the humidity.

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:32 pm

Sorry, don't follow that... a normal bulb shines white(ish) light and the coloured lenses only allow the relevant coloured light through. LEDs also shine white light so why should that be any different. I have white LED's fitted to the 'RS (except the charge and indicator lights) and they work perfectly. The only difference is that the lights are a bit brighter and the white light in the dials is whiter than it would be with filament bulbs.

In any case, the prime culprits are going to be the illumination lamps, the others aren't normally on long enough to create the problem.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

CaptAirhead
Forum User

Postby CaptAirhead » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:46 pm

I fitted white LED bulbs to the indicator repeaters in the dash panel of my R80/7 TIC. As you can see in the picture below, they work perfectly through the green lens. The only difference to the old filament bulbs is that I can now see them on a sunny day.

Image1979 BMW R80/7 TIC instruments by Ian Beat, on Flickr

The idiot light bulbs are new filament ones although I intend to replace the two illuminating ones with LED's. If that works out I will fit BA9 LEDs to the voltmeter and clock .
Ian.
If you don't make mistakes, then you aren't trying hard enough!

1979 BMW R80/7 (ex-Police)
2002 Yamaha Fazer 600

Return to “Airhead Q&A's”