LED RUnning LIghts

Post your F Series Technical Q&A's here

Moderator: Moderators

Jimniven
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

LED RUnning LIghts

Postby Jimniven » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:30 am

Just for info, although I have zero electrical skill, I wanted to fit running lights to reduce further the opportunity for a 4 wheel demon to fail to see me in the forthcoming dark nights. I purchased a set of Motowolf 10W LEDs. (£45) They came with full wiring harness and separate handlebar switch, and, critically a live connection wire to ensure the system is only able to be activated with ignition on. After reading lots of forums about how to tie in with headlight I also spotted one recommending tail light tie in. As it turned out, there are only two blues, a green/red a brown and a black and white lined wire within rear loom spur. The Haynes Manual is spot on, I spliced into the white lined wire, with great access and lo and behold the lights are happily connected. No idea why anyone would want to go near headlight cluster given the simplicity of this connection. Feel a good bit safer with these beacons of light fitted.

Mark Esposito
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Wales

Re: LED RUnning LIghts

Postby Mark Esposito » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:44 pm

Any chance of a pic or two Jim ?

Thanks,

Mark

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

I have a 1988 R80 RT monolever in case i forget to mention it when asking a question ! and I'm based in South Wales

Jimniven
Forum User

Postby Jimniven » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:55 pm

Will try and do over next day or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Postby King Herald » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:46 am

I tried a similar thing with my TomTom, finding a switched live, but eventually ran straight to the battery. Your method sounds better.

Are the light any good? I see loads of BMs with the obligatory white lights on the engine bars, they always seem a bit bright at night to me. To oncoming traffic anyway.
1997 BMW R1100R
1993 Honda Transalp 600

Jimniven
Forum User

Postby Jimniven » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:50 am

They are bright but I keep them low. Lights appear good quality with nice high quality finish. With live tied into tail light no danger of a flat battery.

Jimniven
Forum User

Postby Jimniven » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:55 am

ImageImage
IMG_3574.JPG
IMG_3573.JPG
IMG_3572.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jimniven
Forum User

Postby Jimniven » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:01 am

Hi. Wiring harness has switch for bar control, 49A relay and in-line fuse (tucked under’tank’ battery connections and live spur connected into tail light.

Mark Esposito
Club Member 14

Postby Mark Esposito » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:41 pm

Looks good Jim, thanks for the photos.
Are these lights normal on/off types or do they have a strobe ?
Where did you get them from ?

Thanks

Mark

I have a 1988 R80 RT monolever in case i forget to mention it when asking a question ! and I'm based in South Wales

Jimniven
Forum User

Postby Jimniven » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:57 pm

Hi. They have a strobe facility on toggle if required. Got them on eBay. If you search for Cree LED HEADLIGHT driving fog spot lights. They were actually £59 all in but good value in my opinion

Jimniven
Forum User

Postby Jimniven » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:19 pm

Just for info. On eBay at the moment reduced to £52.10 expiring in 13 hours

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:34 pm

Anyone contemplating this sort of mod should be aware that these lamps are not legal for road use in the UK unless they are certified as such (which I very much doubt these are).

Apart from that...

If they are used as driving lights (as sold) (auxiliary headlamps in legal jargon) they must extinguish when the headlight is switched to dipped beam.

If they are used, on the other hand, as daytime running lights:

a) By current regs, they should extinguish when any other light is switched on (arguably - but not sensibly - that includes sidelights).
b) They must not dazzle oncoming traffic. I would argue that, almost certainly, a 10 watt Cree LED luminaire would be highly likely to dazzle, even in daylight, so for this reason, these lamps aren't suitable for use as DRLs

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "Don't use them" or they're 'Bad' or anything light that. You take your own risks. I just feel it is advisable to know what those risks are. Certainly using them in 'strobe' mode is likely to draw unfavourable comment from any police officer who sees them, which probably isn't the height of wisdom if the units aren't legal in the first place.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

Jimniven
Forum User

Postby Jimniven » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:08 pm

Noted Rob. As with everything motorcycling,prudence and common sense always applicable.

Mark Esposito
Club Member 14

Postby Mark Esposito » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:26 pm

I've noticed many DRL wiring harnesses for sale on eBay, they dim the drl's to half brightness when the dip beam is on, the listings state this is to comply with EU regulations, is half power legal here in the UK when used with approved lights ?

Mark

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:51 pm

I've noticed many DRL wiring harnesses for sale on eBay, they dim the drl's to half brightness when the dip beam is on, the listings state this is to comply with EU regulations, is half power legal here in the UK when used with approved lights ?

Mark

The current regulations state that a DRL must be extinguished when any other lights are illuminated except when they fulfil the function of a 'sidelight' when they may remain lit at a suitable reduced level.

This page on the .Gov.Uk website is helpful though it isn't exhaustive. https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ts#fnref:1

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Mark Esposito
Club Member 14

Postby Mark Esposito » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:44 pm

"The current regulations state that a DRL must be extinguished when any other lights are illuminated except when they fulfil the function of a 'sidelight' when they may remain lit at a suitable reduced level"

Thanks Rob, that appears to me to be very vague but I'm not really used to interpretation of the regulations, can you cut through it for me please ?

Mark

Jimniven
Forum User

Postby Jimniven » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:26 pm

Interesting article on the aforesaid on adventure bike rider.com by Andrew Dalton.

Mark Esposito
Club Member 14

Postby Mark Esposito » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:29 pm

Is this the one ?

https://www.adventurebikerider.com/auxi ... le-lights/

Mark

Jimniven
Forum User

Postby Jimniven » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:28 pm

Yeh
I must admit I selfishly subscribe to brightish lights rather than be decorating the front of a Ford Mondeo, all due respect to Rob technical demolition

vmx1200
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby vmx1200 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:57 pm

The current regulations state that a DRL must be extinguished when any other lights are illuminated except when they fulfil the function of a 'sidelight' when they may remain lit at a suitable reduced level.
I have just checked my 2018 Skoda Octavia that has bright led daylight running lights which also act as the sidelights, when the sidelights are switched on the do not dim however they do dim when the headlamps are switched on.

I guess the regs changed perhaps with Euro 6 :-k
1978 R100RS owned since 1981
2017 R Nine T Pure

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:31 pm

I have just checked my 2018 Skoda Octavia that has bright led daylight running lights which also act as the sidelights, when the sidelights are switched on the do not dim however they do dim when the headlamps are switched on.

I guess the regs changed perhaps with Euro 6 :-k

There are different opinions about sidelights. There is no dissention about headlamps and fog lamps though, nor is there about the need for approval markings.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Return to “F Series Technical Q&A's”